Congo River Rapids - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
MartynRitaRider

Not sure about a total retheme but possibly more detail adding to the current theme to add that extra wildness and excitement.

When i was a kid i used to love the rapids thought they were amazing, all i go on for now is to try and make a funny as picture as i can :lol:

i have seen on here about people being too we... last i cheked the main reason water rides exist are to get you wet :lol:

if they did some work on the tunnel and between the waterfall and station it would make quite a difference to the ride and i think i would get as popular as ever :D
richdirk123

It would be physically impossible for the boat to capsize unless the tire fell off, which wouldn't happen.
Bote

[quote=""richdirk123""]It would be physically impossible for the boat to capsize unless the tire fell off, which wouldn't happen.[/quote]

Not neccearily, it has happened before. If you think of the force of the water on a boat that is say, stuck in a rapids section, it could be quite easy to capsize it.
richdirk123

No, I'm afraid it's a scientific fact that if something has a round-based shape made from strong material, it can't tip over.
Michaél

Swifts quickly back on topic... :P

I think the main thing we have caught onto is the actual rafts, as I've mentioned before I think if they are going to anything to the rapids they really need to replace those rafts with something better. I don't know about anyone else but I think the rafts are really generic and is another one of those things which detracts from the ride experience. If Alton replaced them with some more comfortable and better themed boats, I think that would be a step in the right direction for the rapids. Perhaps something along the lines of this would be the sort of thing that Alton could replace the current rafts with. :)
NF2

It's partly both Alton and Intamins fault that the new rafts are so cheap and generic looking. The old ones with the high backed seats looked better but only sat 6 people, so Alton decided to purchase the new 8 seat variety Intamin were offering circa 2003.

Sadly the new raft designs were in my opinion cheaper looking due to the lack of proper seats, and seem to focus on cramming as many people in as possible rather than comfort or safety, and in fact for the first few seasons they didn't even have a handrail! That's Intamins fault, but as places like Disney and Phantasialand have shown, you can easily get a Rapids boat to match the theme of you attraction, but Alton just were lazy and got generic ones

I'd love to see them try to theme the new ones, but I seriously think that they're so generic looking it ain't possible! They'd have to buy new ones then I guess, and sadly that's an unnecessary expense fir now :(
captain

[quote=""richdirk123""]No, I'm afraid it's a scientific fact that if something has a round-based shape made from strong material, it can't tip over.[/quote]
This has to be the worst use of "scientific fact" I've heard in a long time. I had to draw a simple diagram as I found this so ridiculous:
1 = boat in rapids in normal position.
2 = boat hits obstacle and gets stuck, for example the spinning barriers that propel the boat through a section.
3 = boat is overturned by the force of thousands of gallons of swirling water.

Anyway, back on topic.[quote=""michael""]Perhaps something along the lines of this would be the sort of thing that Alton could replace the current rafts with.[/quote]
Completely agree. They could at least tie some ropes around the back of the seats, maybe some bags, to give it more of an explorer theme. I don't think there is any need to buy new boats, as Spike says, that's unnecessary expense, but a small amount of theming would go a long way.

Another point that has been mentioned is that rapids/water rides exist purely to get you wet. I completely disagree - a rapids gives an out-of-control feeling through great scenery and effects which can be really fun but doesn't need the rider to be soaked to enjoy it. Often getting too wet can ruin the rest of the day, particularly in our fabulous climate.
[align=center]Santa Clara[/align]
richdirk123

Anyway, do you get my point when I say Rumba Rapids is more colourful?

1. Rumba Rapids

2. Congo River Rapids
Doopy Dan

No, I'm afraid it's a scientific fact that if something has a round-based shape made from strong material, it can't tip over.
Care to share the scientific mathematical equations, that you base your statement on?

I do think the rapids need an overhaul, they would be limited to how big of boats they could fit on the ride, but i think a decent amount of money spent on strengthening an already good theme, would not go a miss at all.
Adam

[quote=""Joober""]I've been on the ones at Islands of Adventure, Busch Gardens and Animal Kingdom in Florida and none of them have harnesses. They're nowhere near as tame as the ones we have![/quote]

By harness I meant seatbelt. Which all of the ones you stated have. Sorry for the mix up of words.

Anyway. Seatbelt's are needed I say, stop's people standing up!
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Benedique

[quote=""PyroMittens""]Surely having harnesses would be more dangerous...if the boat capsized or anything (not that it would...I'd hope).[/quote]

I was thinking the exact same thing, i've read about quite a few accidents on rapids (http://www.rideaccidents.com/rapids.html)where boats have capsized and almost drowned the people who are stuck underneath, although the majority of times this has been due to people standing up and rocking the boats so perhaps the need for restraints is there! I'm sure they could come up with a device which automatically releases the restraints should the boat tip, however it would be quite costly I should imagine!
Mi-Nigle

I can't see how it could tip. The water is barely knee deep, I'd have thought it was pretty hard for it to tip in those sort of depths. But I'm not keen on the idea of harnesses anyway :P
DiogoJ42

It would only take the boat to tip slightly. If the boat is not balanced proberly (people messing about etc) and dips under water in a shallow point, the tyre could snag on one of the logs that create the rapids. If the water is moving fast enough, this could act as a fulcrum and send the boat tipping over.
[Archive]

[quote=""richdirk123""]Anyway, do you get my point when I say Rumba Rapids is more colourful?

1. Rumba Rapids

2. Congo River Rapids
Image[/quote]
You do know that Rumba Rapids has not looked like that for a few years now. Most of the theming was abandoned when the sponsorship with Ribena ran out...

And that photo was with the flash on. The lights no longer illuminate anything and the theming has been replaced with... some Christmas lights. So all you see is a yellow glow, nothing very colourful anymore. :(

I would love it if some new effects were to be installed in the tunnel. One thing I would do would be to constalty improve new rides, and there is a lot of potential in the Congo River Rapids tunnel that is not being fulfilled.
CoasterCrazyChris

Both rapids rides at Alton and Thorpe deserve more stick than they get. Both parks have been lazy with the rides theming and they seem to have escaped the 'update' radar so far.

:|
Scorpe

A few strobe lights in the tunnel would look good,
then again obviously due to Epilepsy, maybe not.
MartynRitaRider

i mist wall as you come out of the tunnell would look good and also some jungle creepers with some dim lighting could be made to look very effective
XIIIDom

[quote=""richdirk123""]No, I'm afraid it's a scientific fact that if something has a round-based shape made from strong material, it can't tip over.[/quote]

#-o
Sr88

I was thinking I should bring this topic up again. I was going to start a new topic on the future of the Rapids but decided against it as there's no point in doing so really.

What are people's opinions on the Congo River Rapids now? Does it need changing much. I was thinking that it definitely needs improving as myself, along with most other people I know, find it really irritating that in a full boat, 6/8 people come away bone dry (what's the point in it being a water ride?), while 2/8 people get utterly drenched (not fun).
sw7nutter

There are many superior rapids which work was water rides. The rumba rapids can be very very wet if its all turned on although i have only seen it all on once in the space of 8 years.
Congo river rapids needs some updating but no where near as much as the rumba rapids.
Last edited by sw7nutter on Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.