Congo River Rapids - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
PeteB

[quote=""Mr P""]Just something I made to pass the time, but something like this definitely has potential:
Lost of water effects means that your bound to get wet on the way![/quote]

This is absolutely awesome except for the tipping buckets. They should bring back the water jets though that used to randomly shoot you.

To be fair, I've always thought Rapids is one of those rides that needs a lot of updated theming. It needs queue line music and more random explorer junk. On the ride itself it could seriously do with the tunnel being themed and lit (but dim), kinda like a cave.

Also, the one part of the rapids I find most dissapointing is the section just after the water falls where the water calms down and nothing at all happens until you reach the lift. I think they could do with putting down a load more logs in that area and some new features to give the ride a nice climax.
D-Man

Yeah that is waht is needed lol

It just needs a bit of sprucing up, making it more up to date and more enjoyable!
That last part of the ride after the waterfalls is just boring for to me and my mates and we would like that Jet that used to shoot water out just before the lifthill to come back that got you good and wet haha :lol:

But somethings similar to the waterfalls in the concept art and jets which you can pay to spray would be cool! I really like the Grand Canyon Rapids at Port Aventura they were great :P The pay to spray's weren't to much and the ride was just great and very well themed!

I hope AT look at what other parks around europe are doing like Port Aventura cause their areas are amazingly themed, especially The China area and the Wild West area. They are just fantastic, you actually feel like you are at the real place!
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
Nightfall

[quote=""deek92""]But somethings similar to the waterfalls in the concept art and jets which you can pay to spray would be cool! I really like the Grand Canyon Rapids at Port Aventura they were great :P The pay to spray's weren't to much and the ride was just great and very well themed![/quote]
On my visit there one of them was broken and just constantly sprayed water everywhere. Maybe they should design some to occasionally spray onlookers on purpose to get them wet too. Even better if they time it for every 5 minutes after use, call it the “Use me jet”.
Only problem with interactive water jets is on quite days nobody uses them (My port Aventura trip). Shouldn’t be a problem for Alton.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Evostance

[quote=""Nightfall""][quote=""deek92""]But somethings similar to the waterfalls in the concept art and jets which you can pay to spray would be cool! I really like the Grand Canyon Rapids at Port Aventura they were great :P The pay to spray's weren't to much and the ride was just great and very well themed![/quote]
On my visit there one of them was broken and just constantly sprayed water everywhere. Maybe they should design some to occasionally spray onlookers on purpose to get them wet too. Even better if they time it for every 5 minutes after use, call it the “Use me jet”.
Only problem with interactive water jets is on quite days nobody uses them (My port Aventura trip). Shouldn’t be a problem for Alton.[/quote]

Hmm, it wouldn't be a problem. But haven't we got Battle Galleons for that?

Only problem with this is that both times i've been near Battle Galleons i've seen groups of tits targetting certain people which could technically be 'racial abuse'

I know its a bit of fun, but some people make some un-necessary comments
Nightfall

[quote=""Evostance""]Hmm, it wouldn't be a problem. But haven't we got Battle Galleons for that?

Only problem with this is that both times i've been near Battle Galleons i've seen groups of tits targetting certain people which could technically be 'racial abuse'

I know its a bit of fun, but some people make some un-necessary comments[/quote] The main problem I have with the water jets on Battle Galleons is that it's perceived as a kids ride and some people seem to take offence of teenagers using it. That probably wouldn’t be a problem with Congo River Rapids because there’s no return fire so it’s not seen as competition but I understand what you mean about some people being disrespectful.
Rollercoaster5000

I think they should add harnesses to CCR to avoid riders jumping into the water and swim. It's happened before.
This video shows 2 riders jump out of their raft (on Rumba Rapids) [url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;] ... re=related[/url]
Harnesses should actually be added to all Rapids rides.
Last edited by Rollercoaster5000 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightfall

Ha, they can't even spell Rapids!

Seriously though someone drowned doing that at one of the Disneyland’s. It's not funny when it goes wrong.
rightbackgranty

[quote=""Rollercoaster5000""]... in fact harnesses should be added to all Rapids rides.[/quote]

I dont think that such an extreme measure is needed - its not the ride that is dangerous, its the prat that jumped in that is. There isn't any need for harnesses as 99.5% of the people that go on the ride abide by the rules and are at no risk of falling out - the actions of the minority that aren't sensible shouldnt ruin it for the rest of us.

Its happened a couple of times on battle galleons, with people grabbing onto the shark and being pulled around. Instead of adding fences, the troublemakers should be stopped by security, removed from the park and/or be given a park ban. Seems fair to me :lol:

It would be nice to see some aditions to the ride though. The themeing on the ride is still amazing - althought it would be nice to see a renovated jeep at the bottom of the pond. Only criticism I have of the ride is the fact that there arent very many "choppy" sections, and this could be fixed very easily :)
Bote

[quote=""Rollercoaster5000""]Harnesses should actually be added to all Rapids rides[/quote]

I think that adding harnesses would be a bit much. Most of us are smart enough not to jump out, grab on to stuff, ect. Besides, harnesses can be even more dangerous. I was reading on Wikipedia, were a boat had over turned, and one, or two maybe, people drowned because the harness trapped them. I think having no harness just adds to the fun and feel. Also without one you can schooch to another seat and try and avoid getting wet :P
SEALIFE

[quote=""Begining Of The End""][quote=""Rollercoaster5000""]Harnesses should actually be added to all Rapids rides[/quote]

I think that adding harnesses would be a bit much. Most of us are smart enough not to jump out, grab on to stuff, ect. Besides, harnesses can be even more dangerous. I was reading on Wikipedia, were a boat had over turned, and one, or two maybe, people drowned because the harness trapped them. I think having no harness just adds to the fun and feel. Also without one you can schooch to another seat and try and avoid getting wet :P[/quote]

I agree, adding harnesses in my opinion would also be dangerous.. how about if they needed to evacuate the boat in an emergancy.. it would be to slow to release all the harnesses.. I was also refereing to the video of the rapid boat sinking that someone posted a while back if anyone remembers it? :?
Rollercoaster5000

Ok so harnesses sounds like an extreme and dangerous measure. They should put more CCTV cameras across the ride though.
Bote

There's usually plenty of CCTV on rapids rides. I should think it's so that if anyone is injured on the ride and tries to sue they can pull up the footage and say "Well you were leaning out of the boat so it's your own fault" and so on :)

I'm assuming you mean this video
When Rapids Go Wrong
Originaly posted by Spike
Last edited by Bote on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam-urai

Is this the video you was talking about - [url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]

Yes I agree harnesses are a silly idea for a rapids ride. Just add CCTV and get rid of the chavs.
Please visit Merlin Mania - http://www.merlinmania.com/
SEALIFE

Yes, thats the video.. looks quite scary!

Anyone know how it happened or what happened?
Bote

There was an entire topic about it. I think we established that the boats coming up around it pushed it under due to the force of the water, then it filled up and went under, but I don't think we worked out why they had all pilled up. I'd guess the lift failed and caused a backup. Did you notice the last person get out just as it goes under. I'd be terrified if I were in that boat.

But back to Congo River Rapids.
Adam

Pretty much all Rapids rides in th states have harnesses. And it works much better. No one tries to stand up, because they can't.

Just a simple, 1 belt per 2 people would suffice.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Anonymous

I've been on the ones at Islands of Adventure, Busch Gardens and Animal Kingdom in Florida and none of them have harnesses. They're nowhere near as tame as the ones we have!
LCFCjimbo

[quote=""Joober""]I've been on the ones at Islands of Adventure, Busch Gardens and Animal Kingdom in Florida and none of them have harnesses. They're nowhere near as tame as the ones we have![/quote]

I remember the one at islands of adventure you get totally soaked and have no harnesses! :D
Maybe a retheme is in place for the river rapids to make it more enjoyable and with more wild rapids. If they did this they would get a lot more people on the ride :)
Get ready for th13teen
CJH

I have never seen a rapids boat with harneses. There are a few with seat belts.
Chris 21 Manchester
PyroMittens

Surely having harnesses would be more dangerous...if the boat capsized or anything (not that it would...I'd hope).