Congo River Rapids - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
stealthsmiler

I agree, it needs more water effects to get you wet. More logs and stuff to make it more rapid-y.
Coasterfellow

I definately think it needs more effects. They should get some jungle vines and creepers. Perhaps they should retheme the ride like chesington did with the mine trai . They could give it a new name, add some anamatronic elephants that squirt you and some snakes that hang on branches, get new rafts and retheme the tunnel to make it more eery.
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
Sr88

The tunnel definitely needs decorating and theming. It seems a bit odd going from this river into a concrete building.
RCandrew

I love the rapids! Sometimes it's a bit annoying if you don't get wet because that's just no fun, but either that or be the one soaked at the water fall so :lol I don't like getting soaked but getting a little water on everyone would be more fun! I love trying to dodge the water too :) the parts where people can shoot water at you are fun but it's basically just a blast of water in your face which can ruin it for people, it would be better if there were more places added like this where water went right over everything like it rained on the boat (not quite like going through a waterfall or shower though) :)
stealthsmiler

I hate the water gun part. Battle Galleons it is fun coz you can squirt them back, rapids it is just horrible. Id like a secret surprise that gets the whole bot at the end so that those who didnt get wet, think it's over and act all smug just to get wet.

Also I'd like to see water proof boxes added inside the handle in the middle, so that belongings can be kept dry. I hate the fact you have to take everything on with you, especially since we had bags of stuff we had bought onsite, and some of it got wet.
RCandrew

Yes! Last year we went on near the end and all 5 ride photos we had got wet, it was really annoying :(
jon18uk

stealthsmiler wrote:I agree, it needs more water effects to get you wet.
If you want to get wetter ride Battle Galleons instead. I think generally the rapids is wet enough, but maybe needs a few small improvements to keep it fresh and some theming needs replacing.

With regards to belongings getting wet I think they should follow the American parks and provide lockers at the ride entrance that are free for 1 hour (then 50p per hour or similar) so you can leave bags etc off the ride completely and securely.
stealthsmiler

There has been many times where I've been on the rapids and not got a drop of water on me, Im sue thats the same for many others. On hot days the rapids can get quite a long queue, which if I had to queue in, then walked off the ride dry, Id be quite annoyed.

I agree about the lockers, thats a good idea. although if the queue takes longer than you thought, I wouldn't want to pay. If the lockers were put in the queue line near the exit of the ride, they could just be free for people queuing. Or a baggage hold could be installed near the ride photo booth.
RCandrew

I like how wet you get even if it is not very sometimes, because it's a fun ride where you don't just want soaked or drenched in water! There's battle galleons for that which I've went on once and never will again!
Dom

In my opinion Congo River Rapids needs nothing. I love this ride to bits, and the fact that some people come of wet and some don't makes it even more interesting. Because you can never know how wet you will get. Everything about this ride is cleverly done and it showcases how good AT can be at rides which aren't Coasters.
Sr88

While in some ways the unpredictability makes it more interesting, it simply isn't fun coming off the ride either way.
stealthsmiler

I find the Rapids Tame and predictable, and as I love KC, I would like to see the the Rapids get some work to make them better. The point in a water ride is to get wet, if you don't want to get wet, don't ride. I think the tunnel would be a great place to add some interactive water effects, such as a waterfall over the exit that the riders know the no matter where they sit, they wont stay dry. I find the ride to have a lot of anti climaxes where you feel like your about to get wet but then don't, and whilst one or two of these are good for making each part where you feel like you will get wet, unpredictable, a lot of anti climaxes leads to guests thinking they will just stay dry all the way round and find it boring.
jon18uk

stealthsmiler wrote:, such as a waterfall over the exit that the riders know the no matter where they sit, they wont stay dry.
Again, if you want to get this wet, ride Battle Galleons. I like having a selection of water rides where you don't get as wet on some as you do on others.
Themeparksandy1981

I just think it needs more themeing on route like more huts. The queue line started to look good with the theming added there.
Dom

When compared to other rapid rides in other parks, Congo River Rapids is a bit tame, but i think that is what makes it such a great ride. To be fair, it could be a bit more rapid like and some more themeing put in, but at the moment i think its great
Sr88

More theming is definitely something they should do in my opinion.
Alton13Nemesis

I have to disagree. The river rapids are a very good ride for the park, still one of the most iconic rides the park has to offer. I still find it unpredictable, but perhaps a little tame. Is that a problem though? It is a family ride, aimed at CHILDREN and Adults TOGETHER. Some kids just don't like getting too wet or shaken up?
bensaund

Nothing wrong with the rapids, they do the job so well. No need to change them. There are other areas of the park which need money spent more urgently.
Count-Vonduel

if anything I think the water cannon they added kinda ruins it a bit (especially at Scarefest)
Themeparksandy1981

Does anyone remember the hose pipes that were at the end of the ride before the lift to the station. They were aimed to hit the boats but think they were removed cause guests would stand up and try to move out of its way.