The Future of The Flume

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Liam-AltonTowers

I think the flume should get replaced by the roller coaster mentioned in the Mutiny Bay New Roller coaster topic in the future section of this forum. Anyway what other ares in the park do you think would suite water ride/log flume. Possibly a dark water ride in Forbidden Valley would be quite good...?

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
DrReeve

a water coaster would work nicely in that area due to it being piraty themed it needs to involve water unless its land pirates  :?
Image credit to Lewis97
Liam-AltonTowers

DrReeve wrote: a water coaster would work nicely in that area due to it being piraty themed it needs to involve water unless its land pirates  :?
Have you checked out the unofficial plans for a coaster called Mermasnatch, there on the topic in the future section of this forum. If the pictures aren't working like they aren't on my computer then here's a link to the plans: www.johnburtoncreative.com/portfolio-TPD-2.html.

There will be some other rides shown on this page but you'll be able to tell which ones are the Mutiny Bay coaster.

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
MattsDesigns

if it wasn't going I have a new semi idea for it

Put a tent over part of it since tents can handle water quite well. No idea what you'd put in it though. The same could be done for rapids since if the tent fell down people would probably be alright aslong as its not too big/heavy.

ok so its a crappy idea but maybe on some rainy day someone will find a use for it on a new ride or something
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
DrReeve

I like the idea of a tent/ dark ride involving water always good as the drops are always misjudged or involving something like the pirate falls drop part where you dont know your gonna go down. etc.
With altons height restrictions etc this in the dark ride would be good for thrill seekers but still a good family ride
Image credit to Lewis97
Henry

Wouldn't an Intamin Aquatrax with the same or very similar layout be good, you could start out floating along (but on tracks) you would climb the lift hill, the drop like a coaster, you would have banked turns through the forest, narrowly missing trees and coming close to the ground, it would obviously have to have more airtime hills. After the final drop you could come close to the water but not actually splash, you would speed up a hill into a helix or something and then you splash down, and get really wet!

Sorry, I just realised how long ago this was last posted in as I'm on tapatalk. :(
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
Heisenberg96

If not something new, I'd at least like to see an updated log flume with a broader themeing than specifically for toddlers.
JammyBand

With The Flume getting very old now, it is bound to be replaced soon. Discuss:
What you think it may/should be
When you think it will open
The problems etc. of the current flume.
The Flume in its current state

This topic follows on from the earlier topic 'Water Rides (Lack Of)' started by ADM182, but I thought I would start a topic specifically about the Flume

Thanks guys!  :D
Henry

A intamin supersplash with a small coaster part, so like this http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amuseme ... fault.aspx with a small coaster part. It would have the 3 same drops as the Flume does but a different layout, with a lot of theming.
Heisenberg96

The flume should only be replaced with another flume. A water coaster would be less appealing to kids and log flumes are a key aspect of every theme park. I'd like to see a flume with a new theme and new track. I'd say that'd be in 2014 as someone on another topic claimed 2014 is aimed to be a family year.

The problem with the current flume is that it has no REAL purpose. The ride doesn't really build up to anything, an the last drop isn't much bigger than the second. Plus it's not really a ride that appeals to all weathers. The whole things getting a bit dated now and more repetitive each time you ride it.
JammyBand

Heisenberg96 wrote: The flume should only be replaced with another flume. A water coaster would be less appealing to kids and log flumes are a key aspect of every theme park. I'd like to see a flume with a new theme and new track. I'd say that'd be in 2014 as someone on another topic claimed 2014 is aimed to be a family year.

The problem with the current flume is that it has no REAL purpose. The ride doesn't really build up to anything, an the last drop isn't much bigger than the second. Plus it's not really a ride that appeals to all weathers. The whole things getting a bit dated now and more repetitive each time you ride it.
I have to admit, I do agree with almost all of your points. However, when AT decides that it is finally time to replace the flume, I can't help feeling that they will go for something more adventurous (probably with a world record).
Henry wrote: A intamin supersplash with a small coaster part, so like this http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amuseme ... fault.aspx with a small coaster part. It would have the 3 same drops as the Flume does but a different layout, with a lot of theming.
  This looks perfect and what I think should be installed. But what would be the theme?
Henry

Maybe an Atlantis sort of theme, or maybe the same theme as the flume but updated or a completely made up theme that Alton Towers thinks of themselves, what about bringing Sir Algenon to the park for the ride?
Boz

Topics merged
Please remember to check for an existing topic, before creating a new one.
Heisenberg96

JammyBand wrote:
Heisenberg96 wrote: The flume should only be replaced with another flume. A water coaster would be less appealing to kids and log flumes are a key aspect of every theme park. I'd like to see a flume with a new theme and new track. I'd say that'd be in 2014 as someone on another topic claimed 2014 is aimed to be a family year.

I have to admit, I do agree with almost all of your points. However, when AT decides that it is finally time to replace the flume, I can't help feeling that they will go for something more adventurous (probably with a world record).
Henry wrote: A intamin supersplash with a small coaster part, so like this http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amuseme ... fault.aspx with a small coaster part. It would have the 3 same drops as the Flume does but a different layout, with a lot of theming.
  This looks perfect and what I think should be installed. But what would be the theme?
Yeah, its most likely AT will push the boat out. Still though, I don't think complexity and glamour is needed, all we need is basically a good version of a log flume. All they need to do is build a better circuit and give themeing a boost and they can appeal to the masses.
GigaSurimi

Apart from the fact that it is all falling apart, I've also always thought that the flume was terribly integrated into the park. The "water" section after the last drop, for instance, why is it a large channel hovering above the lake? I mean, most flumes in most theme parks actually land right into the lake itself, making it look like you are actually splashing into it, not in an awful looking channel right above it...

Chrazycat

I don't know if people have said this already, but another problem with the Flume is the actual ride vehicles themselves. The last time I went on the flume, which was last year, the seats in the ride car were incredibly uncomfortable. I couldn't stop sliding forward, and my legs hurt a bit when I got off the ride, because you have to squeeze in to a small space. I think it's probably always been like that, but it's just another reason why The Flume needs to be replaced, or at the least a refurb needs to take place. Another problem is the themeing of it. The concept of the ride is quite good, it's quite different from other log flumes, but in the area of MB it seems a bit odd.
A smile a day keeps Dr. Kelman away...
http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7images/9.gif
LevSusenka

I guess the seats are different for everyone, yes they are harder than a really hard thing but I find the spacing too large rather than having to squeeze in. But then I find all the seats too large really, just means more fun when theres no risk.

The flumes main issue I feel is just that its falling apart. Ok its not the most amazing and radical design out there any more but the slow winding parts through the woodland is great. Something nice and relaxing about it and it doesn't feel like your in the centre of a major theme park. If it wasn't looking so run down and costing so much to just keep running it would still be a great ride. If it goes we certainly need something that matches it rather than another amazing "hey look how ground breaking I am" ride.
It might not be intense but its the only one everyone gets off laughing and your allowed to laugh back at other peoples misfortune too.
Alton13Nemesis

I think that eventually AT should utilise a site more, especially the flume site (as the flume will be gone soon anyway)

The new coaster should be in one of 3 areas;

.On the site of the flume (pirate/katanga themed ride?????
.Adventure land
.West of the towers

It should definetely be a sort of air themed ride (tranquil, not too hard core) maybe a thrill ride to suit the kanyon. i would quite like to see that. possible launched coaster for the kanyon on the site of the flume that interacts with the mine train and the rapids. it would circle the area. maybe a sort of mountain yeti theme. could just call it "beast"

thoughts guys???
insidethetowers network
SamSimkin

I always thought that because you can see the flume from haunted hollow, then it should be a spooky ghost log flume. I think gloomy wood would really apreciate that.
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
Benji

The flume is getting on now, but it's still a good ride. The problem I find is the middle section between the first drop and the second is that it gets very boring. I'm hoping in the next couple of years they do something to the site and place a water coaster of some sort based inside a castle with a large outdoor section

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!