The Future of The Flume

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
NemesisRider

It certainly won't be the site for SW8, especially if it does not go for a few years.
schmatt

Could they not use the, what I presume is storage, space between the sea life and the skyride storage building to build a indoor/outdoor flume, and then use the flume site for either a SW, or other development for Katanga Canyon. There are plenty of unused space around Towers which I wouldn't be surprised to see Merlin optimize. Only problem is they would have to start to look for alternative spaces to store what ever it is they're storing.
Alton13Nemesis

I cannot see the flume being the site for SW8 personally, I can see a larger water ride going on the site instead.
nemefan08

I think the should put a water coaster in and theme it around a pirate voyage
RCandrew

I definitely think AT need a water flume like Storm Force 10 at Drayton manor! Its a lot more thrilling and effective, plus smaller and could have more drops rather than just winding through the forest! I also think AT should get a larger indoor dark water ride, like Pirates of the Caribbean at DLP but obviously not so extensive. With just maybe one drop that doesn't splash you and a big storyline. :)
NemesisRider

Still, AT have tend to have small(ish) budgets, a POTC type ride is unlikely...
RCandrew

I thought that too but I was at Drayton manor this week and they have one similar ski thought if they can have that surely Merlin can pull it off..
NemesisRider

Merlin are capable, just the budget for a replacement of that type would have to be large...
lucozade

The flume is in an area of the gardens and planning would be hard to get if it meant a new clearing in the trees, which is why it is raised on stilts. The man made lake would probably be removed all together as new h&s rules mean any NEW water ride needs clean chlorinated water.

The old log flume lake might be used as the new location for the spin ball family coaster and a new entrance to a flume like Chiapas placed up, over and around the water rapids, maybe even splashing water rapid riders if they are passing at the right time. Merlin seem keen on using rides with small footprints that wind together. A racing Chiapas log flume would be amazing.
TheBeast

Go on guys, just bringing this back into the limelight as I think its quite relevant to the SW8 topic

Discuss
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Air15

I would to see the flume referbished into a pirate themed log flume to suit the area it's in (Mutiny Bay)
Nathan_Fisher

Air15 wrote:I would to see the flume referbished into a pirate themed log flume to suit the area it's in (Mutiny Bay)
There's no point giving it a re theme, the best option is to remove it. The pointless section in between the first drop and the second is completely useless and it's past its time now. There are better log flumes in the UK such as loggers at Thorpe which is much better.
JustWill

I've always secretly wanted the flume to change it's theme to Katanga Canyon.
Because bath tubs in a pirates area is not what you'd normally expect.
I'd still be happy if the ride was re themed to Mutiny Bay though, I mean with the cars themed as little pirate ships with masts and everything.

I don't know about you, but this idea appeals to me :)

EDIT- fixed typo :)
TheBeast

TMIwill wrote:I've always secretly wanted the flume to change it's theme to Katanga Canyon.
Because bath tubs in a pirates area is not what you'd normally expect
Wasnt that for the Imperial Leather sponsorship? I think it was, in 1994...? Not 100% of the date and I dont think they still sponsor it any more, again not 100% though
Paws

Nathan_Fisher wrote:There's no point giving it a re theme, the best option is to remove it.
This right here. They wont waste money on re-themeing it if its planned on getting removed in the future. Although it was just re themed and refurbished 4 years earlier before Mutiny Bay arrived, that could be a reason for it not being re-themed around pirates.

Since there is no current information I doubt the Flume will have anything to do with SW8. We will just have to wait and see.
TheBeast

I wouldnt be surprised if it leaves park before the MTDP expires though, 2019 is way past its operational life in my eyes
Paws

Water rides are dying out in the UK. Blackpool's log flume managed to last 39 years and as Alton's is coming up to 34 Its time is definitely coming to and end soon.
Michelle

I don't necessarily think it's true to say water rides are dying out in the UK maybe if you're more specifically talking about the traditional flume- but you've only got to look at the popularity of Valhalla to see that there is still an appetite for a newer generation of ride. Personally I'll be sad to see the flume go, but I think Alton still need to look at a decent water ride to replace it when it does leave.
Ladyofthelake

I think we will see the flume go sooner rather than later - especially as it is highlighted as one of the rides nearing the end of its life in the LTDP. I suspect Towers will want to make sure they have plans in place for it's replacement before they do remove it, especially considering the way the current ride meanders through the trees and vegetation - I would expect it will be fairly tricky to get any replacement built in the same area meaning ideally they may want something that uses the existing footprint.

I also think there is definitely still a place for a good, well thought out, well executed water ride in the UK. As Michelle said, you only have to look at Valhalla to see that. Plus Alton would need a water ride in addition to the Rapids and Battle Galleons to keep the variety in their ride offering.
Paws

By water rides dying out I really meant that there's more currently getting removed than there are getting built. The Flume is still really popular on hot summer days and I would really love to see a new water ride to replace the flume in the future.