The Future of The Flume

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Sr88

stealthsmiler wrote:there would be a lot of land that could be developed into an extension of mutiny Bay
I was thinking it would be cool if they separated the Flume area away from Mutiny Bay into its own section, and then had more rides where you said as part of the new section.
NemesisRider

I have heard the Flume could be replaced by a bigger water ride. I personally would like a "shoot the chute" type ride, similar to Tidal wave. "The flume" is mostly in a forest so they could theme around that idea. However, I expect and predict it will be more child-orientated as The Flume is mostly a child orientated and it would have to replace the Flume.

Maybe the Blade could be removed from Forbidden valley for Sw8 and be rethemed as an adult pirate ship? Maybe Ripsaw could transfer onto the site?

I expect we will see the removal of "the Flume" at the end of this season and new ride construction (not Sw8 yet!) at the start of next season.
cookiee_munster

i'm not going to say where i got this from but its an official source. whether it was meant for alton towers or another merlin park im unsure, but it intrigued me anyway. thought id share.
Georgie

Uhh.. Am I the only one who can't see anything?
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
RCandrew

Me too, it's not showing?
cookiee_munster

sorry guys. ill have another go.

RCandrew

Wow :O is that a water coaster I see? :lol that looks interesting!
Danny

That looks exactly like Krake. Although I'm not sure for definite, I'd say that was the concept art for the ride.

EDIT: it's even floorless like Krake, and the vertical drop into the Krakens mouth.
RCandrew

Oh well :(
cookiee_munster

DannyG wrote:That looks exactly like Krake. Although I'm not sure for definite, I'd say that was the concept art for the ride.

EDIT: it's even floorless like Krake, and the vertical drop into the Krakens mouth.
ha! oh well. apologies. im not really a big follower of other themeparks apart from disney and universal. i just saw it and was a little bit intrigued.
NemesisRider

Yup, it's Krake at Heide park.

Interesting to see so many think SW8 will be on the flume site...
It's not far enough away from the entrance to be viable.

Another water ride, cleverly done shoot the chute, yes. But, coaster, no.
Coasterfellow

nemesisrider wrote:Yup, it's Krake at Heide park.

Interesting to see so many think SW8 will be on the flume site...
It's not far enough away from the entrance to be viable.

Another water ride, cleverly done shoot the chute, yes. But, coaster, no.
Why would they not make a water coaster? And how would its distance from the entrance make any difference? :-s
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
stealthsmiler

The point of coasters being at the back of the park draws guests to the back threw the rest of the park. Having SW8 on the Flumes site means a lot of the guests would stay there. However, even though this is whats programmed in RCT3, I disagree with the thing about SW8 as there are already many coasters far enough back to draw riders to the back of the park and ride the filler rides whilst they pass, meaning one more coaster can be near the entrance, if all the coasters were at the entrance that logic would apply.
Sr88

There are definitely enough rides everywhere at AT for people to go everywhere. I always go to whatever I want to ride on, not related to what is close to the entrance.

Can I just ask though, what exactly is programmed in RCT3? Maybe this is why I'm an utter failure ;)
stealthsmiler

apparently you are supposed to put gentle rides at the entrance, then thrill flats and finally roller coasters as the peeps will work their way backwards towards the coasters, I however haven't really seen this as I find the entrance and few areas near it will be crowded, with even the smallest rides with big queues, and the back deserted no matter how good the coaster there is. Then again, I don't follow the guideline strictly. I even have a 15 excitement coaster (CTR flyer) with a medium intensity and low nausea rating and the far back of my park, and hardly any peeps go to that area. I have to admit, it bugs me how unrealistic it is.

I don't think a shoot the chute should go at Alton Towers as they need to be tall to be good, and Alton aren't exactly allowed to go tall, or at least tall enough.
Sr88

Ah right. That never seems to have an effect on my parks. Everything gets 3 hour queues permanently.

Going back on topic, I find it funny how in a topic 9 years ago, talking about the same thing with the flume, everybody who was commenting then was so positive about the ride, and thought they would add to it as time went on, etc.

I personally find it's a decent ride and is very popular with the general public. It is long, and gives a good break from all the spinning speed chaos, and is a quiet escape and sit down for 10 minutes. I would be sad to see this go, unless it is replaced with another water ride. If another water ride isn't put in there will not be many water rides, especially if Ripsaw is going too.

And as for SW8 being on The Flume site, a short while ago there was speculation of a new entrance at Forbidden Valley. If this were to happen, The Flume / SW8 would become nearer the back of the park.
NemesisRider

The flume could get replaced by a "tidal wave" (a ride that is thrills, water and slightly family but not super popular).
Sr88

A water ride of some sort would almost certainly have to come soon after The Flume, for sure. I cannot imaging there not being anything, given how much of a good marketing opportunity there is, and how popular they are :D
JammyBand

The removal of The Flume is inevitable. But to be honest I actually think it wont go for several years! Most people think it will be removed next year, or the year after, but personally I think it will be a solid 3 - 5 years perhaps until its removal. I could be very wrong but I dont see it going very soon
Sr88

JammyBand wrote:The removal of The Flume is inevitable. But to be honest I actually think it wont go for several years! Most people think it will be removed next year, or the year after, but personally I think it will be a solid 3 - 5 years perhaps until its removal. I could be very wrong but I dont see it going very soon
I am inclined to agree.

I doubt they will remove it until they have planned out a suitable replacement.