The Future of The Flume

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
stealthsmiler

It already has run out hasn't it? Hence it not being in the name anymore
Themeparksandy1981

I just been researching Log Flume's and the first ever log flume is still open today http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Aserradero It was 50 years old last year so really with some TLC the flume could become the oldest ride in the park.
danny_davies

I would love a ride like Valhalla (the best water ride IMO) except a buliding would need to be built and that would cost a lot of money and it may be unsightly and therefore I dont think this would happen. Therefore I think a pirate themed water coaster with maybe an inversion (if it is possible) could also be a worlds first!
JammyBand

danny_davies wrote:I would love a ride like Valhalla (the best water ride IMO) except a buliding would need to be built and that would cost a lot of money and it may be unsightly and therefore I dont think this would happen. Therefore I think a pirate themed water coaster with maybe an inversion (if it is possible) could also be a worlds first!
Yeah that is a cool idea. The world's first inverting water ride. There is probably a ride already that inverts but I don't actually know myself.
danny_davies

there are water slides that invert but I dont think there are any water coasters that do, so this could be cool for AT to look into as it gives them a worlds first and replaces the flume with a similar but upgraded ride. The only problem is that it takes away the family asppect of the ride and therefore it isn't a family log flume anymore but I don't mind!
Danny

I've got a hunch that the flume is being removed next year, but for a new B&M :sus:
abigsmurf

danny_davies wrote:there are water slides that invert but I dont think there are any water coasters that do, so this could be cool for AT to look into as it gives them a worlds first and replaces the flume with a similar but upgraded ride. The only problem is that it takes away the family asppect of the ride and therefore it isn't a family log flume anymore but I don't mind!
I think there are a few issues that would prevent this.

Water coaster cars that can free float are big and heavy, lots of incredibly high stresses on both the cars and the tracks for a loop.

You'd need to secure the riders in a way they wouldn't be able to wriggle out of. Given that water rides can rarely flip or crash (happened at a funfair in a few years back in the UK and happened at Port Aventura and there's the infamous incident with the Thorpe Park Rapids), a situation where someone is being held underwater and drowns is particularly grizzly.

Lastly was the point you brought up. Log flumes are big showpiece family rides, if you get rid of one, you need to make sure it's replaced with something on the same level. It's probably this reason why Thorpe Park didn't get rid of Loggers Leap after building Tidal Wave (it's large height puts of a lot of people).
Katherine

As cool as an inverting water coaster sounds, there's many disadvantages, one being it's high risk because of previous accidents such as people being held underwater. And if they went for the dark ride idea, it'd be really expensive for them to build and would look out of place in the location it's in. At the end of the day, both ideas are very unlikely.
lf2001

If there was a water coaster it could just have lots of splashdowns, (I think that's what there called)? So you'd get rather drenched on it still.
abigsmurf

Water coasters can actually have an advantage of an adjustable splash. The splash can be adjusted by a 'scoop' on the bottom of the cars that increases the amount of water thrown up depending on how far down it is.
stealthsmiler

Which would be good as AT could raise the 'scoop' in the colder months so more people ride it, like how the jets miss you on Ripsaw
Coasterfellow

stealthsmiler wrote:Which would be good as AT could raise the 'scoop' in the colder months so more people ride it, like how the jets miss you on Ripsaw
yeah that would be good. To be honest, the only reason i go on flume ride is because of the minimal restraints. It makes the drop really exciting and allows you to discuss the ride with your fellow passengers while the ride is still in motion. An adjustable splash would definitely make a flume at AT more popular because no one really wants to spend their day in the park soaked to the skin
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
danny_davies

Dark Rides are just generally more exciting than outdoor rides and can create a more eeire atmosphere than outdoor ones. I'm just wishing that AT would make a ride like valhalla!
Marcus

Bobsled >.>

Pleeeasee! :(
Coasterfellow

If they replaced the flume
with a bobsled ride then alton towers would be lacking a flume. I definitely think that it will be replaced by another water ride..... However, when sonic leaves I would love to see a bobsled :D
Sr88

Hello everyone!

I don't see what is wrong with The Flume. Sure, it is a bit old, but with a bit of refurbishment it could continue, and it is a much loved ride by many people I know, of all ages. I think that there is room for a roller coaster alongside it!
stealthsmiler

The problem is that it is boring. Sure the drops are great but theres the really long windy bit which does nothing and is really boring. If the flume was replaces with a more compact and newer model, but reused things such as the station, a there would be a lot of land that could be developed into an extension of mutiny Bay, which is a area in my opinion that has a good strong theme and would be good extended. I really would love Sonic to be re located next to a new small Flume both themed around pirates.
Coasterfellow

stealthsmiler wrote:The problem is that it is boring. Sure the drops are great but theres the really long windy bit which does nothing and is really boring. If the flume was replaces with a more compact and newer model, but reused things such as the station, a there would be a lot of land that could be developed into an extension of mutiny Bay, which is a area in my opinion that has a good strong theme and would be good extended. I really would love Sonic to be re located next to a new small Flume both themed around pirates.
The drops on the Alton towers flume are far from great.
stealthsmiler

Yeah, great was a bit hyperbolic, but they could be worse.
Sr88

As much as I do like the Flume, having looked into water roller coasters a bit more, they seem completely epic! Wouldn't mind there being one of them instead :D
stealthsmiler wrote:there would be a lot of land that could be developed into an extension of mutiny Bay
I was thinking it would be cool if they separated the Flume area away from Mutiny Bay into its own section, and then had more rides where you said as part of the new section.
Last edited by Sr88 on Sun May 18, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.