SW6 / Thirteen - Viral Marketing/Promotional Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Gloomy Dude

Wow. That is very, very cool. Somebody must confirm this leaflet stuff next time they're at the Towers. I'm not going again for another month so, who's going to volunteer? :P
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
Anonymous

This sounds really exiting. Hopefully i am going on wednesday so i will try and pick one up then.
stretchy

I'm going on Saturday - If nobody s posted one by then I will try and pick one up.
[url=http://"http://www.stretchedmindz.com"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://www.secretsantaelf.co.uk"]Image[/url]
Squiggles

Photos of the new banner and leaflet are now up on the SW6 Minisite. Many thanks to Vik for those.
Edwardo..... move me!
Vik

At some point this morning, I shall add a small news article to the mini site about the beginning of the marketing campaign for SW6.

Thanks squiggs for uploading the photographs. :D

Small news article about the marketing campaign for SW6 has been added to the SW6 mini site.

Here
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Gloomy Dude

Yes! The excitement wee is starting to dribble.
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

chr1s

[quote=""Gloomy Dude""]Yes! The excitement wee is starting to dribble.[/quote]

There's an interesting thought!

Have to say the leaflets are great and I really love the whole teaser approach to it, if ToTT ties in as a prologue to SW6's theme, you would have to give Alton Towers credit for clever marketing there,

my only fear is if ToTT does indeed tie in with SW6 surely it will only make it more popular and seeing how longs the queues were last year, it could be a queuing nightmare!! :x
Pepsi is better than Coke!!
Jon

Very clear use of the dark forest concept here, clear now more than ever before really. The resemblance is uncanny, which is a good thing as I loved those concepts.

Oh baby! Things are really starting to kick off now! Though it's a likely and likeable title for the new ride, "The Unknown" may well be a tagline for the new ride. other coasters didn't reveal their title at this early stage (Air, Nemesis, Olbivion) but on the other hand, some of the later rollercoasters have done (Spinball, Rita), so it could go either way!

If you look close to the tombstone, you can see what appears to be a piece of track that has twisted ends and appears to stop. Is this further hintage of the nature of the switchback? It seems uncannily like Expedition Everest!
Formerly "Dagoo"
Khanage

Wow I must say I got a shiver of excitement when looking at those pictures of the leaflet and new banner! I honestly cannot wait for this.... :D
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Gloomy Dude

I must admit this does look like it will be more thrill-orientated than first anticipated. I think it will be on a much bigger scale than we may have imagined. Frankly, if you release promotional material like this, you have to be prepared to back it up. I'm really excited by the fact they aren't shy about the 'world's first' posturing.

I hope to avoid spoilers like the plague for this ride (although hopefully we'll get down for opening day, depending how early they announce when opening day actually is).

Johno

mmm, I just hope that the ride isn't called the 'Unknown'

I love how Altons rides are all dead simple to say in a line, Nemesis, Air, Oblivion, Rita, Spinball etc.

Unknown doesn't hit it for me.
kingda dude

they can't call it unknown because it is too similar to oblivion. (Though I could be wrong)
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"
tomfeltonfan

Alton Towers have just posted this on their official Twitter:

"Ride into the Unknown - March 2010 new ride posters are up across the resort today"

Here's a picture of the poster:
http://twitpic.com/dllel

From where I'm sitting, this is looking great!
Vik

I'm hoping that the rumour of regular banner changes next to the construction site happens. Good to see the posters are being put up around the park, as there was only one poster on Monday, in Forbidden valley.

I do look forward to the marketing campaign for this ride, as it is the first ride dubbed a Secret Weapon since Air, where such marketing strategies such as viral marketing on the web probably hadn't even been thought of.

Should provide some interesting debate reading peoples different interpretations of any marketing.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

altongeek

I'm hoping there is a link for scarefest in there.
Last edited by altongeek on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiogoJ42

Hmmm... the plot thickens.
PeteB

[quote=""altongeek""]Has anyone noticed a link between TOTT and SW6...

On the back of the leaflet it says "experience the unexpected in search for what lies within"

Terror of the Towers this year is called "What Lies Within"[/quote]

Why do people never read on TTF anymore?

Oh by the way, there's footers on site! #-o
towersmike

Hi
I visited Alton Towers yesterday (12/8/2009) and notice the posters and leaflets around the park advertising SW6.

Firstly, after examing the leaflet, I noticed something significant.

In a previous post, user 'AdamPanic' posted a poem or rhyme that mentioned a hound. If anyone has the leaflet, look closely just under the left point of the crucifix (bottom right of the leaflet). Here in the moonlight is the shape of what appears to be a dog or hound. The idea of a hound also connects with a YouTube account called 'The Hound Has Risen'. A video on this account tells us about a hound rising in 2010 which is then followed by the alton towers website address.

Another thing was also pointed out to me at the park yesterday. I was purchasing my Spinball Whizzer ride photo and the member of staff was talking to me about the new coaster. He mentioned that "The unknown would be a good name for it" and that "None of the Alton Towers staff know anything about it". I can understand that they want to keep it quite but I think he was hinting that SW6 could be called 'The Unknown'.

Please post replies and tell me what you think of my suggestions. This is my first post

Thanks
Choo - Choo!!
Gloomy Dude

I think 'the Unknown' would be the absolute worst ride name in the history of naming rides and it won't happen. It's a bit X:/No Way Out is it not?

Khanage

Not as bad as X:/No Way Out but I agree that it would not be a good name for a ride. It would make part of a good tagline which I think it will be but I think the ride name will be revealed closer to completion.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.