Ug Land / Rita 2010

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Rob L

[quote=""ThrillJunkie""]I personally don't think we will see a change in Rita at all for the SW6 project. I think they will just create a "secret" themed area behind rita that will be home to the new attraction (and only the new attraction).

I will be so surprised if they rename or change rita in anyway although i have always thought that Rita has never fit in not even in Ugland.

Do we even know that Ugland will be disappearing? Has it been confirmed or is it just rumours?[/quote]

It's highly unlikely that there will be a new "secret" themed area, as when you look at the plans you can see where the queueline entrance for SW6 is going to be, somewhere down near the bottom of Ug Land beneath Rita. Also I have heard that Rita is getting a re-theme, but I don't know how reliable that is.

:)

DisneyImagineer

Why do people slater and slated Rita that much?

I think it does exactly what its meant to.
Relive ques on some of the bigger attractions by developing a existing area.
They wanted a quick cheap fix and they got it, this is when the park was not bothered about theming or experiences. It does not take 2 years or even 3 to plan a ride. For all we know this ride could of been on the board 10 years ago! even if it was 5 years ago. It means that they knew that there was going to be a new ride been built and corkscrew is going, as they were building Rita. So whats the point in theming something to fit in with a theme if its going!

But could this mean that Rita is Pre-themed? That Rita is one big hint sitting there telling us what SW6 is going to be about?

[quote=""In one of my earlier posts I""]A village of Thunder Rock.
With a disturbing past.
Dare you enter into the caves of its past?
Through the happy side of Rita and into the Truth?[/quote]

Im not saying that the area is themed entirely of racing.
But could you not theme a Normal Race Track.

"oh are village is called Thunder Rock. Thunder Rock Ralley Race Track, sounds a bit like cavemen. Lets put a caveman theme into the title and theme the various food huts like bones. I think that sounds happy so no one will know the truth about are village or the terror that leans over us"

"EXTRA, EXTRA read all about it, Thunder Rock Ralley Race track has a terrorising past, forget about the cavemen and old bones happily theming the Race Track and read about the real story, only in this weeks Alton Times!"

DI.
Gloomy Dude

Don't tie Rita together with SW6 whatsoever. Just haul out all traces of Ug Land, make Rita look a little roughed up (like Nemesis, but obviously not so much). SW6, as it is most likely going to be themed around something found at Alton Towers, make the area themed as 'Alton Towers' if that makes sense. Rita is just part of Alton Towers, which SW6 has been unearthed behind. It's very hard to say this clearly.

Basically, it's not an abandoned race track. It's an abandoned Rita Queen of Speed.
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
James

I love the idea of a deserted village although this probally won't happen. We'll just see Rita get a new logo, possibly a lick of paint and just made to look a but rough. SW6 will be the ride that stands out, Rita will be made just as a 'background' ride.
tidy_martin

From what i can understand next year team rita

will have rita ( new name and theme is a deffo it will not be rita next year this is a deffo )

they will have hex

and sw6

the whole ugland area will be rethemed and it will all tie in with the gothic theme so there will be no more thunder rock rally radio i

i think it's time to start buy rita merch b4 the name change and re theme
Jon

[quote=""Jlton""]SW6 will be the ride that stands out, Rita will be made just as a 'background' ride.[/quote]

Ahhh this totally won't happen. Have you seen how much Rita dominates the area? It takes up pretty much all of the space available. SW6 is on the wooded outskirts of Rita and I think the themes next year will compliment this. SW6 will be secluded and mysterious while Rita's high octane feel will still be pride of place. Not only do guests oppinion on the rides mark this structure to the new area, but so will the themes themselves. It will, infact, help the communication of SW6's purpose that its not the bold, in your face crowd puller that Rita is.

Rita's arguably the most popular ride in the park and offers a completely different thrill to the kinds SW6 will. It will never be a background attraction. Both Rita and SW6 will work together to make UgLand the crowd magnet it will be next year.
Formerly "Dagoo"
chip
Location: Somewhere near the middle of nowhere but nolonger actually in the middle of nowhere, nearish Towers!

I do think something big is going to be done with the RITA brand. If its a change of logo or name is currently unknown but all rita merch is being reduced already as if to "get rid". I know i am probably pointing out the obvious but there is going to be something new about rita...
It could be awesome or a complete fail but with Merlins budgets probably very sucessfull even though replacing all that branding will be awkward. Only time will tell this will be a very interesting season.
SAM93

So has the Rita merchandice been reducd? Can anybody give confirmation of this.

If this is the case then it pretty much confirms that Rita will be having a rebrand, it also shows that prep for sw6 is ready to get into full swing.

I do think ug-land is going to be a very different place come 2010, and I for one really can't wait!
rightbackgranty

Yeah - merch has been reduced. This picture confirms (thanks to altonator) ImageAlso, when I visited the other day, other items were reduced. Just didnt get a picture!
Chris W

It looks to me Rita identity may be off in 2010 then. Especially with the reduction in merchandise.

I wouldn't like to see the name changed though, just maybe a different logo and colour scheme.

There isn't too much to change in UG Land for 2010. Just a new identity for Rita and a few facade changes.

I can't see anything too drastic happening.
And.

[quote=""Disco Ball""]It looks to me Rita identity may be off in 2010 then. Especially with the reduction in merchandise.

I wouldn't like to see the name changed though, just maybe a different logo and colour scheme.

There isn't too much to change in UG Land for 2010. Just a new identity for Rita and a few facade changes.

I can't see anything too drastic happening.[/quote]

I'd expect the layout of Ug Land to be largely the same as it is now bar one or two bits of landscaping perhaps.

If a re-theme is coming to the area, and I'd say it's looking more likely now, then we'll see fascade changes to the shops, games, arcade and the Rita station.
kingda dude

I hope they change the name, at the moment it has (officialy on a official website) the worst name of any coster.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"
EdwinOkli

[quote=""And.""][quote=""Disco Ball""]It looks to me Rita identity may be off in 2010 then. Especially with the reduction in merchandise.

I can't see anything too drastic happening.[/quote]

I'd expect the layout of Ug Land to be largely the same as it is now bar one or two bits of landscaping perhaps.

If a re-theme is coming to the area, and I'd say it's looking more likely now, then we'll see fascade changes to the shops, games, arcade and the Rita station.[/quote]

Perhaps we could have a repeat of Lost City.
Gloomy Dude

[quote=""rightbackgranty""]Yeah - merch has been reduced. This picture confirms (thanks to altonator) ImageAlso, when I visited the other day, other items were reduced. Just didnt get a picture![/quote]

Wow. Nothing has ever occured to me, while I sit most nights having a bev from my half-price Rita pint glass (sadly, now I probably drink more than I used to, just to put the Rita glass to use). Old Rita identity almost certainly on the way out then! Alton Towers would have to get up pretty early to catch us lot out :clap:
For some things there is no rational explanation. There is no way out. There is no happy ending to this story. Welcome to the unknown. Welcome to eternal darkness.

Welcome to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride
EdwinOkli

[quote=""Gloomy Dude""][quote=""rightbackgranty""]Yeah - merch has been reduced. This picture confirms (thanks to altonator) ImageAlso, when I visited the other day, other items were reduced. Just didnt get a picture![/quote]

Wow. Nothing has ever occured to me, while I sit most nights having a bev from my half-price Rita pint glass (sadly, now I probably drink more than I used to, just to put the Rita glass to use). Old Rita identity almost certainly on the way out then! Alton Towers would have to get up pretty early to catch us lot out :clap:[/quote]

Awww... well. See Alton Towers probably had Rita's theming as a quick fix until SW6 - wouldn't be completely shocked if we see Rita go completely before the old classics.
rightbackgranty

Im struggling to see why people are saying that they wouldnt attempt a full area retheme in one season - they've managed it for Mutiny Bay and Cloud Kuckoo Land.

Admittedly, Ug Land is a much larger scale - with a much larger ride (Rita) to retheme. However, a slight name alteration, paint on the supports and station building, and a tiny bit of themeing here and there could make a huge difference to the ride, without little spend.

There isnt that much to change elsewhere - change the facades on the shops, add a bit of gothic themeing here and there - and the land can be rethemed quite easily.

Another thought - is the Rita queue in the general planning area (i.e needs to planning permission). If it is, do you think we could see an altered queueline for it?
PeteB

[quote=""rightbackgranty""]Im struggling to see why people are saying that they wouldnt attempt a full area retheme in one season - they've managed it for Mutiny Bay and Cloud Kuckoo Land.

Admittedly, Ug Land is a much larger scale - with a much larger ride (Rita) to retheme. However, a slight name alteration, paint on the supports and station building, and a tiny bit of themeing here and there could make a huge difference to the ride, without little spend.

There isnt that much to change elsewhere - change the facades on the shops, add a bit of gothic themeing here and there - and the land can be rethemed quite easily.

Another thought - is the Rita queue in the general planning area (i.e needs to planning permission). If it is, do you think we could see an altered queueline for it?[/quote]

They don't need planning permission for a queueline unless it consists of structures and buildings.

What I would really like to see is if they retheme Rita I think they should add a hut over the station buidling.
ThrillJunkie

Maybe, Just maybe they could be getting rid of all the Rita merchandise before they get a new range in. Its not uncommon for a park to change there types of merchandise every now and then.
Another thought - is the Rita queue in the general planning area (i.e needs to planning permission). If it is, do you think we could see an altered queueline for it?
I do expect the queue to change for next year to give them abit more room around the SW6 site. Kind of how they changed the queue line last year for Saw: The Ride.
Awww... well. See Alton Towers probably had Rita's theming as a quick fix until SW6 - wouldn't be completely shocked if we see Rita go completely before the old classics.
I would say Rita isn't going anywhere. They need more than 1 attraction in an area to make it more appealing and personally i can't see any other theme working that well with Rita and didn't AT spend thousands on marketing for Rita. They wouldn't waste all that surely? I expecting a new paint job and maybe even a new logo.

Is it me or has UG Land seen more changes than any other area of the park? It seems they just haven't managed to get that area quite right yet.
ThrillJunkieUK
kingda dude

well since the ug land area is the oldes area in the park, I am not that surprised that it is the most changed in all the park.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""kingda dude""]well since the ug land area is the oldes area in the park, I am not that surprised that it is the most changed in all the park.[/quote]

No, after Mutiny Bay and Cloud Cuckoo Land; Ug Land is actually the newest area on park.
:)