Oblivion - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
ROYJESS

I've been riding Oblivion since the first day that it open and it is still my favourite ride.  The hold and long drop is just exhilarating  
Wagstaff04

Oblivion was my first 1.4 ride at AT, and let’s just say my fairly low expectations were absolutely annihilated. The suspense kills you every time, and the reactions of everyone as it hangs you over the drop give you one last laugh before you plunge into the abyss. 
TheBeornen

Since there seems to be quite a lot of work going on with the refurbishment of the queue line, do you think they might celebrate Oblivion's 20th anniversary or will they wait till next year for the 21st like Nemesis?
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
S.J_O'Grady

TheBeornen wrote:Since there seems to be quite a lot of work going on with the refurbishment of the queue line, do you think they might celebrate Oblivion's 20th anniversary or will they wait till next year for the 21st like Nemesis?
Depends which is easier to slot into the logo  ;)
Most likely 21st I would say, it only makes sense to continue in the way they did it with Nemesis.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
TheBeornen

Yeah it could be another unique thing AT do like the SW codename.

Be Chosen...
Liam.W

21 just wouldn't work in my opinion. I personally think 20 years is a good one to celebrate as it's easy to slot into the logo (as demonstrated by Cobby a while back).
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

ChessingtonSam

So they do a birthday celebration so to speak, for each coaster, for the year you can best fit into the logo? I can't imagine what year they'd do for Thirteen...
Phild94

ChessingtonSam wrote:So they do a birthday celebration so to speak, for each coaster, for the year you can best fit into the logo? I can't imagine what year they'd do for Thirteen...
I wouldn’t be surprised if they did something on Friday 13th October 2023 as this could be dubbed “Thi13teen Day” obviously a Friday the 13th right before Halloween on its 13th anniversary
JosephandGraham

Floorless trains, remove most of the tunnel. Add an invertion or 2. The technology and specifics are in place already......and there's land behind to make this viable. Why not????
Stan.H

JosephandGraham wrote:Floorless trains,  remove most of the tunnel. Add an invertion or 2. The technology and specifics are in place already......and there's land behind to make this viable. Why not????
That would cost so much money, and there just isn't any point in changing Oblivion at this point anymore - and it would take away from its original novelty as well. Also that land there I believe is restricted for what they build on because it's so close to the neighbours. Removing most of the tunnel is easier said than done, it would take a lot of time and money, and Merlin just wouldn't dish that sort of money out just for a little enhancement, they might as well build a new coaster elsewhere.  

Basically Oblivion or no Oblivion  :roll: :lol
ewoodier82

As long as I can still hear that music I'm happy with keeping Oblivion how it is, although I wouldn't complain if they added an inversion.
DeadJack5

I really don't think Merlin would invest any money In changing the track layout. The ride works for what it is and that's what it's main purpose was, build the tension and then drop. I could only see this ride getting some TLC work and that's about it.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I think in the 5/6 years I've been engaged with TTSP, the idea of Oblivion getting floorless trains and/or an inversion must be the most enduring, yet improbable proposition I can recall :P
Justin

It does seem to be the only idea that goes around in circles. Personally, I really like it how it is. It is very retro and a classic! :)
ROYJESS

Please don't mess with Blivy, it's brilliant as it is, if you want inversions, then the Smiler is only a stone throw away  :)
TheBeornen

I love Oblivion in it's current state, it's fun to have a ride that you can ride 10 times in the space of 30-40 minutes on a quiet day.

Be Chosen...
Bert

Speaking of Oblivion, It turned 20 today!
[Insert Signature Here]
TheBeornen

Happy birthday Oblivion! 

Be Chosen...
vikkimoo

Where did the floorless trains idea come from and why has it stuck around? Oblivion is terrifying enough and it's simplicity is what makes it so good.
ROYJESS

I never get what the floorless trains will do to the experience.  I'll be looking down straight into that hole, not down at the track between my legs.