Black Hole 3

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
BSwiss

I think it should keep the Black Hole brand but be made to look as if it has been re-opened somewhat haphazardly, ignoring safety laws and the like. Maybe lots of 'do not enter' tape strewn in places where you can't reach and mops and buckets by apparent stains of faded blood.

Maybe when you are departing an unconvincing voice is heard to say something along the lines of "It should be fine, don't worry". I'm not entirely sure how the layout would be achieved but I'd like a small ride in their with the typical fare of sharp turns, hills and sudden drops. But then as a twist, as you believe you are pulling back into the station, the entire of the inside of the tent is lit up bright white, in the whiteness a distorted face can be made out and says something like "you should not have come". And so you are catapulted backwards and complete the course backwards in the dark.
babybearbarker

Personally, I think that having the "we don't know what's going to happen" is ideal and should be linked to x-sector in that it's an extension of something that has been found in the hole on oblivion - a wormhole that you have to go through to get out safely. Basically, a flat ride, similar to the Stargate, or the old (remember this) Gravitron but with extensive lighting and sound/fog effects - if you have seen a Stargate ride, with the lights around it as it;s spinning upside down, it looks insane and in an enclosed space, could be used really well to disorientate.

Otherwise, another dark ride, however, for a change, could be one that can be ridden backwards or forwards in a jet star type ride.

There's lots of possible stuff that can happen here, even with a tight space, as basically, they have an extensive queue line, so they could use it. I don't think it's the right spot for a 4D cinema - these are usually much higher capacity.
DiogoJ42

Although I love the Stargate, (they only ever made one stand up, and one sit down model) it is even more painful than Submission! :P

For me, it has to be a coaster. I like the idea of a Mack E-Motion. They can be mad to fit in any space, and would be perfect for the tent. :yes:
Jared

I think a Mack E-Motion coaster would be brilliant within the Black Hole tent. It's something that could be themed to some sort of crazy military experiment gone wrong. You could have multiple elevator lifts and really whack it up with lighting effects, static props and cars that tilt at random moments through out the ride.
Anonymous

[quote=""BSwiss""]I think it should keep the Black Hole brand but be made to look as if it has been re-opened somewhat haphazardly, ignoring safety laws and the like. Maybe lots of 'do not enter' tape strewn in places where you can't reach and mops and buckets by apparent stains of faded blood.

Maybe when you are departing an unconvincing voice is heard to say something along the lines of "It should be fine, don't worry". I'm not entirely sure how the layout would be achieved but I'd like a small ride in their with the typical fare of sharp turns, hills and sudden drops. But then as a twist, as you believe you are pulling back into the station, the entire of the inside of the tent is lit up bright white, in the whiteness a distorted face can be made out and says something like "you should not have come". And so you are catapulted backwards and complete the course backwards in the dark.[/quote]

I like that idea. One way to make a ride scarier. Just like to add to it though. First of all there needs to be lots of screws nuts and bolts laying around and falling of the ride. Of course just additional ones. As your queing up you should see alton towers staff having a heated discussion with some health and safety officials. At the top of the first lift hill the train should slowly go over like oblivion but as it is the whole lift hill should earily sway from side to side whilst making some horrible grinding screeching noises. Also Id go a bit further than a bit of blood on the floor and a mop. How about some body parts and sprays of blood coming from passing trains. And then last but not least they should send some dummy trains around with realistic looking dummies in them so when your in the train behind you see one of their heads get impaled on a rusty bit of iron hanging over the track. Which of course retracts back when you pass by. Oh and also maybe about ten seconds before the end of the ride when it's going slower anyway all the lap bars could break and come undone. And they should have lots of warning signs on entry and make you sign a disclaimer. lol. And they should advertise the ride in a way that doesn't reveal all the surprises like they did with 13. :evil:
washdisher

Does any one know the how high planning would let alto go?
Blaze

Tree hight is the limit, around 60 foot for X-Sector. Anything just under and level with tree hight has to be painted dark.
TurboJ

[quote=""BSwiss""]I think it should keep the Black Hole brand but be made to look as if it has been re-opened somewhat haphazardly, ignoring safety laws and the like. Maybe lots of 'do not enter' tape strewn in places where you can't reach and mops and buckets by apparent stains of faded blood.

Maybe when you are departing an unconvincing voice is heard to say something along the lines of "It should be fine, don't worry". I'm not entirely sure how the layout would be achieved but I'd like a small ride in their with the typical fare of sharp turns, hills and sudden drops. But then as a twist, as you believe you are pulling back into the station, the entire of the inside of the tent is lit up bright white, in the whiteness a distorted face can be made out and says something like "you should not have come". And so you are catapulted backwards and complete the course backwards in the dark.[/quote]

You know, this could work. It reminds me of Portal - you're in a testing environment, it looks all squeaky clean, but on the occasions you get a chance to look behind the machinery, you see a much darker picture. The 'unconvincing voice' is a lot like Portal as well.

I just want a Jet Star 2 to go in the tent. I don't care if it's a dated model, it's the best choice. If they can't get one, build something similar. More theming on the ride itself would be nice.
Terra

Or you could play on the whole rumours of someone 'dying' on the ride. Of the friends i've spoken to about Alton Towers, there is a consistent belief that 'the rollercoaster came off the tracks and ripped through the outside of the tent, killing the people on it. Then it had to be shut down! ;O'

So maybe you could play on the fear of them making a new 'black hole', after the last one failed when people died on it or something.

IDK. I'll think a bit more straight tomorrow - it's late! XD
washdisher

what they could do is make a coaster that was completley dark and ...Backwards! oh know thorpe did that and it was awfull!
mats

Don't forget [spoiler:1iip0mc1]Thi3teen has the dark and the backwards elements. This makes it highly unlikely that Alton will repeat this feature in the near future.[/spoiler:1iip0mc1]
UK Park News - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource
http://www.ukparknews.co.uk
Blaze

No need to spoiler that when the park now advertise the ride as doing that :lol:

They have Oblivion, they still did Thirteen; two vertical drops, two tottally different styles experiences. Just because something has been done doesn't mean it won't again...just very unlikely, but a dark, backwards coaster is actually quite likely compared to a drop tower or something, evenb if Thorpe balled it up.
mats

Well there seems to be a main focus on Thi3teen's world first feature, rather than the latter so wouldn't like to spoil it for those trying to keep blinkers on. That said, its June so if you're really into it you should have ridden it by now. :P

OK back on topic..
Sure,I wasn't meaning it won't be done again, just think it'd highly unlikely, especially so close to Thi3teen. Hopefully X-Sector will be a focus soon - I know the parks budget was said to invest £9m per year over 5 years from 2008, so in theory that could include 2 major installs, depending how the budget is planned out.

I really feel that Submission should go - there is hardly ever a queue even on the busier days, and thats with only one side running these days. As for the tent - I think the tent structure itself will remain for ease of planning, and hopefully the Eurofighter project will actually come to fruition.
bradpeet

[quote=""mats""]As for the tent - I think the tent structure itself will remain for ease of planning, and hopefully the Eurofighter project will actually come to fruition.[/quote]

I suppose a Eurofighter in the dark might be ok - I guess the lift / beyond vertical drop is compact enough to be accommodated within the tent. But I can't help thinking that the ride experience would not be good because a lot of people seem to complain about them being rough, and not being able to see what the track does next would just make that feel worse. I just think that they could do something so much better.
Big C

[quote=""mats""]I really feel that Submission should go - there is hardly ever a queue even on the busier days, and thats with only one side running these days.[/quote]

Not Submission! If anything the enterprise should be moved or destoyed and make way for a new concept of thrill ride. Submission does NOT take up a massive footprint! Cut it some slack! It is a proper thrill ride one of only a few Alton have so no do NOT demolish it...

The tent i think will be removed and a new structure built only bigger and more like a warehouse so you could theme it as a test subject building. I know what we all want is a coaster however i think Alton will take the easy way out; a simulator... :x :cry:
Secret submission lover.
Who doesn't love that comfy piece of chance?

I am a brass band nerd, deal with it!
mats

No, don't demolish Submission - just sell it. :P
I did used to like it, but no longer. :?
Blaze

[quote=""numb3r1towersfan""][quote=""mats""]I really feel that Submission should go - there is hardly ever a queue even on the busier days, and thats with only one side running these days.[/quote]

Not Submission! If anything the enterprise should be moved or destoyed and make way for a new concept of thrill ride. Submission does NOT take up a massive footprint! Cut it some slack! It is a proper thrill ride one of only a few Alton have so no do NOT demolish it...

The tent i think will be removed and a new structure built only bigger and more like a warehouse so you could theme it as a test subject building. I know what we all want is a coaster however i think Alton will take the easy way out; a simulator... :x :cry:[/quote]
I would hardly call Sunbmision a 'proper thrill' ride :lol: . Even if it was, there's still Nemesis, Oblivion, Rita, Ripsaw, parts of Air, Enterprise and it could be argued Thirteen, if only for the indoor section, so it's not like they are lacking, especially as it is a family resort.

And if they have a building there, it will probably be the tent, they wouldn't get permision to knock it down, just to go through the whole planning proccess again to build another, bigger building, which probably would not be allowed. Although a new builsing would be great, I can't really see it happening and out of respect for Black Hole, think the tent should stay for herritage reasons, if not anything else.
BigAl

What about a roller coaster with a small launch. Obviously not as fast as Rita (45mph - or +) but it could have a fast acceleration to make up for it. They could theme the ride on a secret test being carried out to create a wormhole into the future. The launch could take place in a tunnel with red rings flashing like a ray gun. It could be something like the Lynet roller coaster (small but packs a punch). I'm not to bothered about inversions as I feel air time and sharp twists in complete darkness is much better. The test could go wrong which and the x sector sends in some mechanics (the riders) to take a look inside the machine to fix it. Some strobes and explosion sfx would be cool with some flames and dry ice/smoke machines.
bradpeet

[quote=""BigAl""] The test could go wrong which and the x sector sends in some mechanics (the riders) to take a look inside the machine to fix it.[/quote]

Oh no - not again :shock:

Isn't that similar to Duel. And to a lesser extent Th13teen.

Besides, JW doesn't like back stories. He seems to think that if a ride needs one then the ride is not as good as it should be.

The wormhole idea itself, combined with a launch that appears faster than it is (but strangely does not feel faster) due to properly timed lighting effects certainly has potential.

Actually, I think that could work well in combination with one of my earlier ideas. Make that launch backwards (low force launch, so no major restraint issues) followed by a roller coaster section. But end that coaster section in an elevator - which then takes the car to the high point of the tent. It can then be released into a (forwards) coaster section similar to the old Black Hole ride.

I would envisage having 8 seater cars - similar to those used on Eurofighters - and launching the second car as the first one leaves the elevator. Separate load and unload stations would be required to allow the cars to be turned - but that would probably be an advantage for throughput. It would also be good if there were 3 or 4 different pre-launch paths that could be taken between the station and the actual launch, each giving a different experience of some sort. I think that would both add to the ride experience and allow more people to be on the ride at any given time.

Alternatively, use just one station and run the cars forward through the pre-launch path and then turn them just before the launch section.

What do you think? Is it workable? Does it sound any good? (I think it is sufficiently different to Th13teen to work, despite both having backwards sections). And what problems have I not anticipated?
BigAl

I'd love the black hole tent to have a futuristic eurofighter which is compact, quick and has a high throughput as that would be cost effective for Merlin penny-pincher's and it would deffinetly satisfy the general public. Or something like Lynet which would be very similar (but probably without inversions).