Oakwood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
JMR

Just been to Oakwood yesterday for a few hours. [Anual Pass]

Managed to grab some photos of construction. But I was not able to see any sign of 'Plane Crazy'.

Spoke to the staff at the customer support office, or whatever it's called. They said that a log flume was coming along with some other attractions & themeing.  :)

I'll try to post the photos here later, not too sure on the quality though  :?
coastercrazy18

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
coastercrazy18 wrote: So are there any rides planned for 2013? I know it wont be this year but i do hope that they make another rollercoaster or big ride soin because i have heard some people saying there arnt enough, but i dont know i havent really been there my self. I think i should go there one day as i am welsh lol  :lol:
You can't really say they need bigger rides like coasters or thrill rides if you haven't even been to the park before.
I know thats because i said i heard it off other people. Some of my friends have been there and said that there arnt enough thrill rides because it takes them about 2 to 3 hours to ride them all when the park on averige is open for about 6 to 7 hours.
its always good to go to the dentist so you can get a better smile :D
ThrillJunkie

Did anyone notice the FB update from Oakwood?
Foundations being laid for the new family coaster in our new development
The only coaster i thought they were getting was the children's coaster from Camelot? And to my knowledge that doesn't need foundations.

Looks like this new coaster is being built in the new area.
ThrillJunkieUK
Thriller

ThrillJunkie wrote: Did anyone notice the FB update from Oakwood?
The only coaster i thought they were getting was the children's coaster from Camelot? And to my knowledge that doesn't need foundations.

Oakwood needs a family coaster, Treetops isn't much of a step up from a children's coaster and if you are taller than me, 5'6, you can't ride anyway, otherwise a branch from a tree will chop your head off! Hehe
JamesP

ThrillJunkie wrote: Did anyone notice the FB update from Oakwood?

Much as I'm hoping for a new family ride, I have a feeling that they are referring to the 'junior dragon coaster' from camelot as the foundations look to be in the same pattern / layout (to the right of the log flume in the construction photo):

Pennywise

Wow. That looks even worse than the 'Clown Coaster' currently at the park. :P
ThrillJunkie

I think you could be right JamesP, The foundations look identical but how can you call that a family coaster?

I'm quite impressed how closely they seem to be packing in those rides but how is a Dragon themed coaster going to fit in next to a pirate themed log flume?
ThrillJunkieUK
JamesP

Yeah I certainly wouldn't call it a family coaster, but some parks do seem to think the phrase 'family' and 'kids' are the same when it comes to rollercoasters. A shame really as a good family rollercoaster would really help Oakwoods line up (not that I have anything against treetops!).

I'm intrigued as to how all of the various rides and themes will come together, so far we have seen; pirate log flume, london street scene, castle style entrance, native american teepees, timber clad huts, a potential dragon coaster and a kids go cart track!!
Pennywise

Excellent progress in terms of the new additions from Oakwood, it really does look like excellent investment from them this year on a low budget!

All photos are from their developer's diary on FB - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oakwood-T ... 0547955704 - there are some shots of some promising theming and concept art on there too!
ThrillJunkie

Are we able to confirm whether that "family coaster" is the old "Junior Dragon Coaster" from Camelot yet?
ThrillJunkieUK
Themeparksandy1981

So the log flume is gonna be indoors and outdoors then?
Pennywise

ThrillJunkie wrote: Are we able to confirm whether that "family coaster" is the old "Junior Dragon Coaster" from Camelot yet?
Yes. It is.

So the log flume is gonna be indoors and outdoors then?
Outdoors with an indoor section and indoor queue line, I believe.
haydn!

Is there meant to be some consistent theme tying all these ad-hoc attractions together? The only potential connection I see is Peter Pan or Neverland... but you'd have thought they'd mention it by now.
Pennywise

haydn! wrote: Is there meant to be some consistent theme tying all these ad-hoc attractions together? The only potential connection I see is Peter Pan or Neverland... but you'd have thought they'd mention it by now.
There is no over-riding theme... it's literally just Camelot's leftovers. However, considering each ride individually, there are some very nice themes on the table, at a high standard, especially for such a small park. :)
haydn!

I agree. It's good to see Oakwood getting back into the game! They never really seem to have recovered so far after the Hydro accident.
oakLee

Some more updates from the park....

Doctor Who paying a visit to Oakwood????  :?

The skull is coming on very quickly now!!  :O

Can't wait to see this finished now.. looks very promising!
ThrillJunkie

Earlier in the week Oakwood released this article about the new area:
GIANT SKULL SCULPTURE ARRIVES AT OAKWOOD

A 12-metre-tall sculpted skull is the latest striking addition to the major new £4m family-themed attraction at Oakwood Theme Park which opens next month.

The giant skull is the centrepiece of the unique new pirate-themed water ride at the Pembrokeshire park.

As part of the ride visitors will emerge out of one of the eye sockets in boats before descending down a spectacular cascading waterfall.

Oakwood Theme Park director, Dominic Jones, said: “The new pirate-themed ride really is unique.

“It’s a combination of a log flume and a dark ride with visitors beginning their voyage on boats which lead them in to the interior of the stone-sculpted skull before emerging back into the daylight via the eye socket for the waterfall descent.

“Our team of themers and ride engineers have been hard at work painstakingly putting the sections of the skull together and I have to say it really does look extraordinary,” he added.

The pirate-themed ride also includes a

“The mix of log flume and dark ride really will make this a pretty unique family ride in the UK and I’m hoping the skull itself will become an iconic symbol of the new area,” added Dominic.

The new area which occupies over three acres in total – the equivalent of more than 10 Olympic-size swimming pools - will also feature a junior coaster, a flying experience, a pirate-themed galleon and a London Taxi ride featuring iconic sights including Big Ben, the Tower of London and Nelson’s Column.

There is also an interactive walkthrough area, outside spaces themed as London parks, a soft play zone, food and retail outlets.

Issued by Oakwood Theme Park. For more information and to arrange interview and picture/filming opportunities please contact Jessica Spooner on 01834 815170.
A flying experience. Sounds very much like "Plane Crazy" has found a home within this new area (no doubt it will be renamed and marketed as a new attraction).

Also what about the "interactive walk through area"? Could this be a haunted hollow type outdoor themed path way? maybe joining this area with Speed (long overdue) or could it be an indoor walk through similar to what Paultons Park has with "The Wind in the Willows"?
ThrillJunkieUK
oakLee

Looks like it will be called Neverland!...

OAKWOOD REVEALS MAGICAL THEME OF NEW £4M ATTRACTION

After months of secrecy, Oakwood Theme Park has finally revealed the name of its new £4m family-themed attraction which is set to open later this month.

The new area which occupies over three acres in total – the equivalent of 14 Olympic swimming pools - will be called ‘Neverland’ and is themed around the world-famous ‘Peter Pan’ story by author J M Barrie.

Among the new rides are ‘Skull Rock’ pirate log flume, complete with 12-metre-tall sculpted skull, the ‘Lost Boys Adventure’, ‘Neverland Chase’, ‘Tink’s Flying School’, ‘Crocodile Coaster’, ‘Jolly Roger’ mini galleon. ‘Hook’s House of Havoc’ soft play and the ‘Sights of London’ taxi ride featuring Big Ben, the Tower of London and Nelson’s Column.

There is also ‘Journey to Neverland’ an interactive walkthrough area which takes visitors in to the Darling family home and above the streets of London before arriving in ‘Neverland’ itself.

Other areas are themed as London parks and there is also a kids’ ‘Aerodrome’ ride as well as food and retail outlets.

Oakwood Theme Park’s Dominic Jones said: “It’s been tough to keep the name and theme of the new area secret for so long but we really wanted it to be a surprise.

“What better inspiration for a theme park could there be than Peter Pan - ‘the boy who would not grow up’?

“We’re on track to be able to open ‘Neverland’ to visitors later this month and we can’t wait to see their reactions. This is by far the biggest investment at Oakwood in recent times and it will completely transform and add significantly to the visitor experience.

“We have been fortunate to work with the top theming companies and designers in Europe and everyone here is delighted with the results of all their hard work,” he added.

Park GM Dominic Jones outside one of the new rides...

A view of Skull Rock and the Crocodile Coaster!

Plane Crazy or Tink's Flying School in the background!

Looks like it will be a very nice area for Oakwood once it's all finished!  Let's hope they keep at it with more developments!
ThrillJunkie

I've just watched the ITV news report on this new attraction and heard something that could be rather exciting.

The Neverland area is the first stage of a 5 year plan for Oakwood
:D
ThrillJunkieUK
scruffy_

These are the guys doing the theming

http://kdt2.com