Oakwood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
MakoMania

They'll be giving Merlin ideas.....
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Dom

According to RCDB.com, Oakwood is apparently getting a 'new' coaster for 2017. The former Space Coaster from M&D's theme park in Scotland is apparently going to be the new coaster. Here is the said page from RCDB
Altontowersbarlow

I realise that smaller theme parks are tight for money but this seems like an incredibly poor investment and almost seems quite lazy. When you see what parks like Paultons Park are doing with investments like The Lost Kingdom it doesn't reflect very well on parks like Oakwood that are investing in poor travelling rides. Again, I realise every parks financial circumstance is different, but why invest in a cheap low quality attraction as opposed to saving that money for an eventual higher quality attraction. I realise that parks need new attractions to attract customers but this just seems like a total waste of money that will lower the parks reputation in my opinion. If it pays off for them brilliant but I think this is honestly news of the parks unfortunate decline.
Liam.W

Having just looked at pictures of the said coaster online the restraint looks so flimsy! I hope there is no air time on this as the weight of the person could snap it :lol
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Burniel

Altontowersbarlow wrote:I realise that smaller theme parks are tight for money but this seems like an incredibly poor investment and almost seems quite lazy. When you see what parks like Paultons Park are doing with investments like The Lost Kingdom it doesn't reflect very well on parks like Oakwood that are investing in poor travelling rides. Again, I realise every parks financial circumstance is different, but why invest in a cheap low quality attraction as opposed to saving that money for an eventual higher quality attraction. I realise that parks need new attractions to attract customers but this just seems like a total waste of money that will lower the parks reputation in my opinion. If it pays off for them brilliant but I think this is honestly news of the parks unfortunate decline.
I completely agree - such a shame given the fantastic-looking coasters currently at the park.

Personally, I think the park's failure is down mostly to marketing - whilst not the best themed, Oakwood's rides seem more than good enough to provoke a re-visit. It's just getting people through the gates that's the issue.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Dom

Oakwood's 'new' coaster is apparently going to be called Flight of the Giant Peach
Theo

Does anyone know how much they paid for this?!? Anywhere upwards of around about £5.60 seems like a waste of money to me.
Dom

Some images of construction for Flight of the Giant Peach are now on RCDB.com
Jack

This is totally the best ride opening in 2017
MakoMania

Jack wrote:This is totally the best ride opening in 2017
Scary thing is you're probably right
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Nickolai

It has an OK throughput though for when the big crowds come! ;)
Formally Smiler313
Tom

Damn it Oakwood, why.
Ryan.B

Bulky, metallike OTSR'S on a coaster that doesn't need them and is rough. Where do I sign up?
hell lepard

According to comments on facebook bounce is permanently closed now
Sozzy40

Been today and the park is good- but there are some issues, which the General public are overreacting about. Bit dirty and a lot of rides closed, and it was very quiet- as in most rides on 5 minute waits. Megafobia is as good as always, but the queue never exceed 5minutes. It's got the potential to be a great park, but the owners are holding it back. Even Merlin could improve the park!
Know it's a long post but just felt it necessary to post on updates

EDIT: That 5 year plan we predicted in 2013? Look how that turned out

EDIT 2: Other complaints Oakwood are getting involve a lack of family rides, a lack of thrill rides and a lack of operating rides
I can see why the beornen worship Wicker Man
scruffy_

Anything happening this year? 
Nathan2000

scruffy_ wrote:Anything happening this year? 
According to the winter updates on Facebook, the Circus Land area (By waterfall) has closed to make way for a new family attraction for this year.
Sozzy40

Nathan2000 wrote:
scruffy_ wrote:Anything happening this year? 
According to the winter updates on Facebook, the Circus Land area (By waterfall) has closed to make way for a new family attraction for this year.
Great, I can now claim that I've ridden a coaster that has since closed!
I can see why the beornen worship Wicker Man
Mattovey1984

Oakwood seems much better this year, much cleaner than previous years, but still lacks one or two big coasters. Do you feel the park could do with some investment and what coasters do you think would improve visitor numbers again? 
Mattovey1984

Mattovey1984 wrote:Oakwood seems much better this year, much cleaner than previous years, but still lacks one or two big coasters. Do you feel the park could do with some investment and what coasters do you think would improve visitor numbers again? 
So adding on from this as I have been to Oakwood twice this season already. The awful Pinfari Coaster, 'Creepy Crawler', seriously has had its day. With Drenched not opening this year as well, has this had its day too? (Lets hope). 
Along with this, the old 'Nutty Jakes Mine Ride (Brer Rabbit) has been condemned, leaving a huge section of the park that could be used again for a different attraction.
If a further big investment was to happen in the next year or so, then I would like to see a rebranding of 'Spooky Street' back to a 'Mining Theme'. A River Rapids style ride integrated with a Mack Powered coaster utilising the site of the old Dark ride that was currently here. The Tea-Cups could be changed theme wise to fit here as well as I feel it would still need a 'Flat' in the area. 
As for Spooky 3D, it is a bit primitive now and a new attraction should be sort. 
I feel like this, although a major investment for the park, would definitely draw visitors back as the 'Mack' coaster fits in-between the 'Junior Coaster' of Tree-Tops and 'Family-Thrill' Megaphobia as a pure 'Family' coaster. (not sure what the Pinfari would come under (Whiplash Claim coaster??)). 
The removal of Drenched maybe a good move as I would guess expensive to run and not much use due to a usual 2pm opening? (not open this year). This would free up a massive area for another 'Themed area' in the future. Needs the right investors with the vision and guts to improve. Or a great persuader like the fantastic John Wardley who told William and Patrick McNamara that a wooden coaster would transform the park.
Any comment or thoughts on this or Oakwood this season?