Oakwood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dara

Why are we all just assuming one new attraction for next year? It could very well be several new rides, I'd like to see a total re-theme of that Wild West area, like they did with Neverland. They didn't just replace Playtown with only one ride did they now?!  :D
Thriller

Jamie wrote:
Jared wrote: It's a new coaster. It has to be!
Doesn't have to be - it could well be another dark ride using the same system (return of Nutty Jake anyone? ;))
Seriously though, it would be nice to see a new coaster at Oakwood but I doubt that the space occupied by Brer Rabbit is big enough.
Jaketown would be great if it returned. Oakwood could have 2 mascots then. A friendly dragon and a Nutty Goldminer turned Musichall owner. I must say Spooky 3D is a poor attraction, makes Duel with half the effects working look amazing.
I think a good family coaster in this area would be more than welcome, maybe behind The Goldmine (Brer Rabbit) Ride? Is there room for expansion in that area?
Danny

Free fall drop coaster would be ideal
Thriller

danny.g97 wrote: Free fall drop coaster would be ideal
I'm not convinced they have £15M+ to spend on a Thirteen type coaster...........

As £5M was spent on the last investment and it seems like they had a good return, I would think a budget of £6-10M would be around the figure they will be looking at.
Danny

Thriller wrote:
I'm not convinced they have £15M+ to spend on a Thirteen type coaster...........

As £5M was spent on the last investment and it seems like they had a good return, I would think a budget of £6-10M would be around the figure they will be looking at.
Yes but the first time a ride is made they don't really know what to expect. Now they have mastered the free fall it probably wouldn't cost as much and there last investment was quite a while ago now
Burniel

I'd like to see a standup coaster ...
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
dazza4783

danny.g97 wrote:
Thriller wrote:

Yes but the first time a ride is made they don't really know what to expect. Now they have mastered the free fall it probably wouldn't cost as much and there last investment was quite a while ago now
A Zierer freefall coaster, like Verbolten & Polar-X-plorer would probably fit that budget.
Danny

dazza4783 wrote:
danny.g97 wrote:
Thriller wrote: I'm not convinced they have £15M+ to spend on a Thirteen type coaster...........

A Zierer freefall coaster, like Verbolten & Polar-X-plorer would probably fit that budget.
I agree that would be cheaper and more likely, but I think some work needs to be done on heir free fall drops as polar's is pretty bad. But I'm sure improvements have been made by now :)
ThrillJunkie

I think some people are getting a bit carried away...

It's no big surprise that the rabbit is going as the park has said before that it wants to redevelop that whole area so it's been on the drawing board for a few years. Also I can't see the return of "Jake's Town" as that would be taking a step backwards not forwards.

The park has confirmed that the new attraction will be a family attraction.

I'm sure I've heard the park aren't going to be spending quite as much this year (so under £4 Million) and I believe the park still has some debt left from the previous owners / Hydro incident.
ThrillJunkieUK
Danny

We'll tbh I wouldn't mind th13teen without the free fall drop. As numerous people have pointed out it won't be a huge investment so a nice thrill coaster like th13teen would be fine
Burniel

Can I just point out that rollercoasters (especially TH13TEEN style free falls) take a long time to build, let alone planned for (at which point plans would probably leak), so I think that if we are discussing a coaster, a 2014 plans topic may not be the place to discuss it? Take thorpe. Yes their investment is larger, but they're starting groundwork now, and here we don't even know if it will be a coaster or not! And thorpe are planning for 2015!

It is my personal opinion that any investment for an Oakwood coaster (such as the ones suggested above) is highly unlikely to be completed for the 2014 season.
Last edited by Burniel on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie

Judging by the hints they have made, it is likely to be a retheme of the existing ride (possibly reverting back to the old theme of Nutty Jake's Gold Mine).
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
Burniel

^so I doubt we can be expecting 13 style freefalls
Danny

No one is saying that's what the coaster will be nor that's its likely to be built for 2014. We're just speculating and saying what WE would like to see which is what the forums about
Burniel

danny.g97 wrote: No one is saying that's what the coaster will be nor that's its likely to be built for 2014. We're just speculating and saying what WE would like to see which is what the forums about
I'm just saying if we don't think it's relevant to 2014, why have it here? If this was a topic entitled "Oakwood future" or "Oakwood next coaster" it would be much more appropriate. Meanwhile, this topic is fine for smaller development ideas that stand a chance of happening by 2014.

Sorry, this is my opinion
ThrillJunkie

But while we're talking about coasters at Oakwood I'm still hearing about the rumours that Oakwood is to get one of Camelots old coasters for 2014. Personally I don't think it will happen but lets look at what coasters were at Camelot when it closed.

Knightmare - Rumoured to have been sold to a Saudi Arabia park
Caterpillar Capers - Has already been relocated to Gulliver's Warrington
Junior Dragon Coaster - Moved to Oakwood this year and renamed to "Crocodile Coaster"
Whirlwind - Has been relocated to Germany and renamed to "Sky Spin"

That just leaves

The Dragon Flyer - Two reasons Oakwood should not get this coaster

1. It's powered by diesel making it expensive, bad for the environment and get's it riders high off the fumes!
2. It was built around the landscape at Camelot which would make it expensive to adapt as many of the track supports would need to be extended or altered. (But keep in mind that this is exactly what "The Big Sheep" are currently doing with their recently purchased coaster).
ThrillJunkieUK
Dara

What Oakwood are clearly doing now, and doing very well, is purchasing relatively cheap second hand rides an theming them to look like new. Very few people who visit Oakwood will know that the Skull  Rock log flume is actually an old flume which had been in Camelot since the 80s. Nor will they think that the Crocodile Coaster is a rethemed Dragon coaster (or whatever it was called).

Now whatever we get will be family, the replacement of Brer will, I'd imagine, used the same track and trains but have al new scenery and a re-themed station, I can't see it being Nutty Jakes in a  million years- why take a step backwards, but it will appear to be very much a new ride in a newly  themed area. The new area could well have a new re-themed Camelot coaster or re-themed Camelot flat rides, but Oakwood simply doesn't have the budget to buy big new coasters and still theme them to a high standard, so what we have with Neverland (and I'd guess futuer development) is second hand rides themed so well that they do not look second hand. Anyone who's walked around Neverland will know what a great atmosphere it is in there, and I'm sure the Wild West will next year be restored to its former glory but this will be done without the need for expensive brand new coasters.
Stripes91

The wild west area of the park isn't any bigger that Neverland, so we could possibly see a complete re-theme for the budget they have to play with. I doubt Spooky 3D will go, so whatever the theme may be, this would have to be worked into it.

I guess the question on everybody's lips is.. Will Brer Rabbit/Nutty Jakes ride be demolished and replaced or just re-themed?

A thought provoking statement

The size of the area Brer Rabbit takes up is as big as Drenched/Hydro's footprint and only a bit smaller than Speed, so there's plenty of room to work with. Oakwood could also do with a family rollercoaster, something between the size of Treetops to Speed!

The rumour has been flying about for a while, but perhaps this could be the ideal location for Camelot's Knightmare? Re-themed to fit in with the Wild West... or even a total re-theme of the area?

Also Oakwood recently asked "If you had to design and name a roller coaster what would you call it and why????" on its Facebook page!

It's only the start of year 2 of the 5 year investment plan and already I'm excited!
ThrillJunkie

I think we should expect a retheme. Oakwood spent quite a bit this year so I think we will see something new but nothing major next year (remember it's only a small park, Aspro don't have a budget like Merlin).

Brer Rabbit doesn't actually take up that much space when you look at it on Google Maps and a lot of the land is not flat and full of tree's and shrubs. I don't think it will be easy to build something brand new on this site. The new attraction will defiantly be an indoor attraction I'd say.
ThrillJunkieUK
Stripes91

ThrillJunkie wrote: I think we should expect a retheme. Oakwood spent quite a bit this year so I think we will see something new but nothing major next year (remember it's only a small park, Aspro don't have a budget like Merlin).

Brer Rabbit doesn't actually take up that much space when you look at it on Google Maps and a lot of the land is not flat and full of tree's and shrubs. I don't think it will be easy to build something brand new on this site. The new attraction will defiantly be an indoor attraction I'd say.
That land is probably the most level part of the park available to Oakwood (from ordnance survey maps only differs by a meter or two), and a re-location of a ride or a medium sized family coaster doesn't need the budget of Merlin, but I see where you're coming from.

Removing the original ride would also leave Spooky 3D as the parks only dark ride, but I don't think it is an implausible concept.

I'm hooked to the developers diary on Facebook, itching for any hints!