Oakwood

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
blake_nemesis

another accident....:(
littalty??
scruffy_

it happened in 2004
blake_nemesis

but its still another accident thought isn't it :?
altontowers1

That was like yonks ago lol.. how come its been brought up again..

I went to DraytonManor for my birthday the day after that happened.

I thought it was the girls fault anyways i thought she was messin about or something.

Shame anyway i have never trusted the ride since even with the new restrains theres just something about it that puts me off!

x
Carling cup winners 2011 Birmingham City fc
Kaycee

It doesn't matter if it was yonks ago, it obviously had never been completely resolved. :-? There's a few unanswered questions with this one - I guess we'll never know exactly what happened, but the issue is is that she obviously became loose somehow and she should never have been able to. Was the restraint locked when it left the station, and if it was, how was it possible for her to fall out? If it wasn't locked, then why was the boat allowed to leave the station with it unlocked? It seems a fair enough verdict really - her safety obviously wasn't ensured and regardless of whether her coat got trapped and she was trying to free it, or whether she was helping someone next to her she thought was having difficulties (as both were speculated), she never expected to fall out!

I remember following this story when the news broke, because it really upset me! That poor girl. :(
Kaz

Apparently her rain mac got caught in the locking mechanism stopping it from locking. The ride staff failed to check the restraint and let the boat dispatch, when the boat reached the top of the ride she noticed that the bar was not locked and so opened it slightly in order to try and lock it again. This is when she fell out of the boat to her death.
altontowers1

[quote=""Dopey""]It doesn't matter if it was yonks ago, it obviously had never been completely resolved. :-?
I re :(
[/quote]

Yes but its horrible especally for the friends and familys of the girl for this horrible ordeal to have to be up brought again! years after.

I just thinks its ashame when things keep getting brought back up its ashame it cant just be put to rest, i surpose its like most cases they cant find certain elements out untill years later.

x
Lon

All the more reason for ride hosts to check restraints. I was at Alton a couple of weekends ago and the ride host on Rita didn't check any of the restraints on my side. When I got off the ride I spoke to the guy who was supposed to do it and I said why didn't you check any of the restraints on my side and he just shrugged his shoulders. IMO he should be sacked. It's the key thing he should be doing.
Dara

It hasn't been "brought up" again. Its been an on going process since 2004. Following the incident, there was a lengthy investigation, then in 2007, the investigation was completed and it was confirmed that the park was to be formally prosecuted for the death. The prosecution process started in May of last year, the prosecution is now complete and Oakwood will be setenced (told what their punishment will be) on 8th August this year, and then that will be it.

What you have to remmeber is the the British legal system, particularly in high profile cases like this involving death, is a very slow an lengthy process. You cant just have an incident where somebody dies and then have it sorted the fllowing year. In the UK things just dont happen like that.

Its interesting that at the time of the incident the park park was under different ownership. It was a small, family run park then, but is now owned by the major Spanish entertainment corporation Aspro, who own and operate numerous water parks and theme parks around Spain and Portugal and several high profile aquariums in the UK. It suprises me that a major corporation like Aspro would take over Oakwood before this case had been solved. You wouldnt think that Aspro would want this sort of thing hanging over them and possibly tanishin their reputation, which is currently very good in terms of health and safety. I know Aspro had nothing to do with the incident at the time, but it will be Aspro who are sentenced next month, since they are now wholly responsible for Oakwood
Lon

[quote=""Dara""]
Its interesting that at the time of the incident the park park was under different ownership. It was a small, family run park then, but is now owned by the major Spanish entertainment corporation Aspro, who own and operate numerous water parks and theme parks around Spain and Portugal and several high profile aquariums in the UK. It suprises me that a major corporation like Aspro would take over Oakwood before this case had been solved. You wouldnt think that Aspro would want this sort of thing hanging over them and possibly tanishin their reputation, which is currently very good in terms of health and safety. I know Aspro had nothing to do with the incident at the time, but it will be Aspro who are sentenced next month, since they are now wholly responsible for Oakwood[/quote]

I don't think this is the case. The Directors at the time of the incident are responsible not the new owners. You can't pass criminal charges on when you sell a company. Aspro's (sounds like a headache cure) Directors will not be involved. They will of cause be subject to any suggestions of improvements etc.
Dara

Whilst the directors of Aspro wont be blamed legally, if this is heavily documented in the media, it will have a negative effect on their visitor numers and reputation. Then again legally it will make no difference to Aspro, so i guess you're right that it doesn't matter too much to Aspro
Lon

[quote=""Dara""]Whilst the directors of Aspro wont be blamed legally, if this is heavily documented in the media, it will have a negative effect on their visitor numers and reputation. Then again legally it will make no difference to Aspro, so i guess you're right that it doesn't matter too much to Aspro[/quote]
If anything it's better for the park, as the publicity will be that it has new owners and safety measures have been put in place etc.
Dara

Well not really, because deaths do tend to shock the public. Any publicity saying that new owners will put new safety measures in place is positive publicity for the park, however the fact still remains that somebody died on a ride which is still operating. It does have new safety measures in place, but that has nothing to do with the new owners as the shoulder restrainsts were there long before Aspro took over.
A death is something which will make the public feel uneasy which is why it suprises me that Aspro wanted to buy Oakwood before this case was put to bed.
Almost everyone in Wales (and many people in England too) know about the incident and the fact that the sentencing has not yet occured means that the case is not complete. Therefore, whatever the verdict in August, there will be media attention on the park and on the incident, which will almost certainly be bad for the park's reputation. It's not until the incident has been completely resolved and the case closed, that people can start to forget about it, and even then, it will be a very gradual process
altontowers1

Ye i agree with that, i surpose it will still be in the back of most people minds though.

I would be abit aprehensive about riding Hydro now thats cause im abit of a safety freak on rides but ya no... :P
x
Anonymous

Hi, I was just wondering, does anyone know if there are chest size restrictions at Oakwood in West Wales? I'm supposed to be going with friends in about a fortnight, but don't really want to have to get off rides due to having a larger chest size!!! Roughly what size chest will fit under the shoulder restraints??
Craig

First of all welcome to the forum dudette2001uk :D. Have you had any difficulties getting onto rides at other parks in the past, and also what rides have you been able to get on? I've never been to Oakwood myself, although I think for others to give advice some idea of what problems/successes you might have had somewhere else would be helpful.
DanB

Theres usually plenty of room on the rides at Oakwood except from Hydro
Anonymous

Hey! Thanks for the replies. I haven't really been to any other theme parks, so I can't comment on those rides!! Bounce at Oakwood was a bit of a tight squeeze the last time I went, but I'm going to hope for the best! :)
Bolton Warrior

[quote=""DanB""]Theres usually plenty of room on the rides at Oakwood except from Hydro[/quote]
I can vouch for that, if you are tall or have a large chest forget it.

I went on it last year and hated every second of it, I was clamped in so hard I had to shallow breath as I could not expand my lungs enough to breath normally.
altontowers1

[quote=""coastergraham""][quote=""DanB""]Theres usually plenty of room on the rides at Oakwood except from Hydro[/quote]
I can vouch for that, if you are tall or have a large chest forget it.

I went on it last year and hated every second of it, I was clamped in so hard I had to shallow breath as I could not expand my lungs enough to breath normally.[/quote]

I sometimes get that on air when they push the restreins to tight, so you cant breath properly its kinda scary! dont no what id do if it broke down :shock: .

x