Smoking In The Queue Lines

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Cjw

Dieting is the new smoking

Notice how all the food companys are suddenly bringing out low fat versions of there products (Kit Kat and Rolo low carb).Heck even mcdonalds are bringing out low fat ranges.

The media are also constantly reporting on it.Like they have nothing better to do.

Okay,back to topic...

Smoking,although some adicts have to do it,should not really do it in queue lines.If it was a seven hour wait or something,i would understand.
Anonymous

Ok I know some people are addicted to smoking but for us that don't it is not nice to have smoke blowing into your face. And maybe people do have annoying habits but you must understand that it was your choice to start smoking in the first place and it was non-smokers choice not to. Non smokers in this case ultimately have the decider because it is unfair to them. A lot of my friends smoke, however they are considerate and will not blow the smoke in my face instead blowing it away from people. They also respect the non smoking rule. However a lot of people don't and it may sound cruel but it is very satisfying when people are thrown out of a 10 minute queue because they couldn't resist having a fag for an extra few minutes. Just my opinion.
towersuncovered

I didnt know if this was a good idea but i did it any way. Ont he alton towers poll section i have made a poll about demoloishing the no smoking in q lines please vote and then we can see what we all think!
Matt
Uncle_Adolph

I've actually had someone behind me on Nemesis light up whilst we were in the brake section! The op yelled down the mic to make him put it out. He did, then lit up again. So, the op called security and took him to one of those 1st aid rooms to have a chat with him about lighting up on rides!

-Ben
Elecx

I have witnessed the effects of smoking on many people and it isn't very nice. I've had asthma ever since I was born and every time someone lights up I struggle to breathe and need medication. The ban on smoking can't be 'all government hype' if the majority of the population actually want the ban.

As I have said in another post in the poll, some lads in front of me and friends in the queue line on the River Rapids were smoking weed and it absolutely stunk. Many people around noticed and were covering their mouths. In the end they were dismissed from the ride before getting into a boat.

If you smoke (or to put it into reality, do drugs) then you should do it in privite and empathise for other people because it's your choice if you want to smoke, not other peoples.
- Craig Smith
Crofty

Alton Towers recieve recognision for their efforts to prevent smoking in certain areas of the park, and create a better enviroment for the majority of park guests.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/di ... K=10707801
Anonymous

Thanks for that crofty for that info...
"As a move towards a ban on smoking in public places gathers momentum at a national level, we are very pleased a local company such as Alton Towers is helping lead the way in efforts to protect the health of residents and visitors to the Moorlands."
I didnt realise that Alton Towers was a local company, i know its a local business but the company is Tussauds which is owned by Charterhouse. :? :? Feel free to correct me.
Anonymous

I'm in a moaning mood so here goes.
The hole topic of smoking in Q lines hits a nerve with me.
I'm a non-smoker and the 'worse' thing at AT is the smoking in Q lines. It spoils the whole day for me. I'm glad to see some measures are coming online to try and ask people not to smoke in the line. I have the same problem with people chewing gum and eating smelly food too. Although water in hot weather can be excused.

I find myself dirty and smelly at the end of the day. My clothes smell and I'm convinced its given me watery eyes and soar throats on occasions. Its the inconsideration that gets me. The pure fact that people assume I'm okay with it, when I'm not.

A theme park is full of children and families and I think the primary consideration should be for their health and enjoyment. You wouldn't go smoking in a school playground would you?

I realise its outside, but in small confined areas like Q lines its like being indoors with respect to breathing in passive smoke. I just find the whole matter bad manners. I can't believe the average smoker can't wait an hour or so to get through the Q and on the ride, then when exiting the ride have a smoking break. Smokers much use trains, planes and buses - often with journeys lasting more than an hour!?
duncs

As a smoker I can say that it is very difficult standing in a queue for upto 2 hours with out having a cigarette. This largely determines my decision of which rides to go on.

Part of the problem however lies with AT. Somkers tend to smoke due to nerves and boredom. The nerves are obviously going to be there when you queue for some of the white knuckle rides. But since AT provide little or no queue entertainment, the boredom enevitably creeps in.

I have been know to light up in a queue before :oops: In my defence, I NEVER smoke in queues which are designed for young children. I also appriciate the rights of non smokers and so only ever smoke when I can lean over the fence and keep my smoking away from others. Also, if anyone complained, I would offer my appologies and put it out. I can also say that I have never smoked in a queue where a ban has been introduced.

Unfortuantely, I don't think there is a solution to this problem. There will always be conflict between smokers and non smokers. The only partial solution I have found is to book into the AT hotels and get priority ride access. Obviously, this costs more money but it is worth it. Also take penty of chewing gum :D

I would also like to add though that I would prefer a situation where smoking was allowed and where the somkers had respect for the rights of those around them. But its not an ideal world.

Personally, what I find most offensive though is people farting in a queue - at least smoke can be blown aways from others :lol:
Anonymous

would just like to say, stoke-on-trent city council are going to ban smoking in public places soon anyway.

This could impact on the moorlands where AT is based. this could basically cut people smoking in all alton towers shops, pubs and fast food outlets.

and i think you will find that smoking does impact your health. how the hell can it be healthy? oh it also makes your hands go funny colour, your teeth, yoru clothes. it makes yoru hair and clothes stink. if costs £5 for a pack.

And they have done a 40year study into smoking now. and even if not everyoen gets cancer from smoking, its shown to increase yoru chances. when its law you cant smoke around me in the future, i'll just put you out.

numbers of smoking are dropping, its growing in young girls who are un educated. been 70% of smokers want to quit. lets ban smoking and try and help them.

enjoy your lung + throat cancer, remember what you wrote. i'm sure you kids wont mind... (this shouldnt bother you if you think its un true.)

Oh and why would teh goverment want to stop people smoking, tehy make so much money out of it. its because they knwo it and you know it, it harms yoru health and tehy have to protect us otherwise they aint doing there job.
Smithy1989

Tis is just an idea but what if the smokers asked politely the people around them if they didn't mind them smoking because their is non-smokers that don't mind people around them smoking. take me for one!
Satch

[quote=""Smithy1989""]Tis is just an idea but what if the smokers asked politely the people around them if they didn't mind them smoking because their is non-smokers that don't mind people around them smoking. take me for one![/quote]

Oh, now that would be called general curtesy. Whar would we be having next? Politeness? Chavs putting chewing gum in the bins?

Some things in life we're never going to get, no matter how much we ask
Smithy1989

Hey!!! alot of the adult smokers aren't that bad and ive been asked if i didnt mind the smoker smoking and i happily agrred but i just kind off shuffled down and i think he got the hint that i didnt mind it but wasnt keen on the idea.
x_Titch_x

I was working on Hex once and this young lad (about 14) was smoking in the q line, i asked him to put it out and he didnt, so i warned him that if he doesnt put it out he wouldnt be able to ride so he did put it out. When that batch when into the cinema the little brat lit it up again obviously unaware that we were watching him on camera! I was fuming lol and made him leave the ride! :evil:
Doopy Dan

what if someone lighted up a joint in public? the effects on your health are less than smoking, its not addictive. smoking is only legal because people have been doing it for so long.
Ive done that loads at Alton, but i usualy go out the way, like in the gardens, where i cant disturb people with the wonderfull cannabis smell, but i would be very suprised is cannabis smoke, will do you damage, if you inhale it through passive smoking
geminidj

Il put this bluntly.

Alton towers is a place for the whole family to be entertained. And for non-smokers, regardless of age s is not pleasant to have a smoker standing next to you. But i do understand that smoking is a habbit some people cant beat. Smoking cannabis is unnaceptable but having a smoke when in line for a ride, i would generally consider acceptable. I wouldnt use my camera to video them then show operators, but weather or not i agree with the rules or not is irrelevant. Rules are rules.

Chavs is another thing. THEY really get on my nerves, and tbh i would much rather have a chain smoker on both sides of me than a chav spitting, swearing, vandalising, qjumping and doing all the other zombie like tasks that lead them through their pathetic lives
Anonymous

If the smokers are standing by the fence and blowing their smoke outside the queue line, then I'm not bothered, although I must admit I find it quite pathetic they can't go two hours max without a ciggie.

On the other hand, in the Air queue, I've had people standing in front of me and just blowing it out, fair enough, it's not directly aimed at me, but the wind blew it back into my face and it was the foulest smelling tobacco and I had to reposition myself to get away from it.

There should be more no-smoking signs. If someone asked me if I was ok with them lighting up, then I would be fine, for the simple fact that they checked with me. But I'd probably ask that they kept the smoke away from me. :D

It's not as bad as queue-jumping, but at the end of the day, they are no-smoking queue lines for a reason and this should be respected.

:twisted: :P
MWF

[quote=""geminidj""]
Chavs is another thing. THEY really get on my nerves, and tbh i would much rather have a chain smoker on both sides of me than a chav spitting, swearing, vandalising, qjumping and doing all the other zombie like tasks that lead them through their pathetic lives[/quote]

Jeeze tell me about it! I don't mind waiting in line but I hate having to share it with people who can't just live in their own little space and moved along without spoiling it for the next person. Litter, spit, gum, food, vandalism, smoke, swearing, shouting is there some institution somewhere creating this people?

Last time I was in the AT park I watched about 10 chavs kick the hell out of a machine in the arcade, rip the front off and scoop up all the change. All infront of the staff and then they legged it leaving me with my 10pence still poised at another machines slot. I can't say I felt the odds were in my favour after seeing it.
dstone_uk
Location: Ug Basketball, Ug Land, Alton Towers, Staffs, ST10 4DB :D

right, i am a non-smoker, and it doce iritae me when people light up in que lines, BUT i have frends who smoke and they allways mange to go througth ques withotu lighting up(one has even made it througth the day) but, i feel that tabaco, althougth iritating, isn't the main problem. I have nean in meny que lines last year where people have smoked drugs! You can tell coz of the smell and it is really futraiting. I also don't think non-smokers should have to put up with smokers and i have found if you ask people they will iather put it out or genrelly try to stand over the other side of the que line or the such, meaning i don't have to breath it in.

I do respect somkers views but i would never somke! and i don't think i should have to put up with it.,

(*)corkscrew rules(*)D

Anonymous

[quote=""geminidj""]Il put this bluntly.

Alton towers is a place for the whole family to be entertained. And for non-smokers, regardless of age s is not pleasant to have a smoker standing next to you. But i do understand that smoking is a habbit some people cant beat. Smoking cannabis is unnaceptable but having a smoke when in line for a ride, i would generally consider acceptable. I wouldnt use my camera to video them then show operators, but weather or not i agree with the rules or not is irrelevant. Rules are rules.

Chavs is another thing. THEY really get on my nerves, and tbh i would much rather have a chain smoker on both sides of me than a chav spitting, swearing, vandalising, qjumping and doing all the other zombie like tasks that lead them through their pathetic lives[/quote]

PLease let me put this bluntly.....

Alton Towers is a place for the whole family to be entertained INCLUDING smokers and non smokers. If canabis is unacceptable, why has the goverment down graded it from a class A drug to a class C drug AND made the "For personal useage" amount greater? If you start "banning" certain people from doing certain things then where does it lead and stop? How about No chav is allowed in the park without parental supervison; misbehave like vandalise then the whole family is barred from Alton Towers for 3 months? Or if you dont say please or thank you for riding a ride then you get thrown off the ride? Obserd i know but so is banning something that most people will be undertanding of in the first place if politely asked is better than a compleat ban on it on the whole of a queue line.

As duncs said
Part of the problem however lies with AT. Somkers tend to smoke due to nerves and boredom. The nerves are obviously going to be there when you queue for some of the white knuckle rides. But since AT provide little or no queue entertainment, the boredom enevitably creeps in.
My first time on Nemesis last closed season, compleatly scared of heights (irrational i know) and to help myself overcome my first time on her in the queue line and either blew my smoke either up in the air OR over the queue line itself. Blowing smoke in someones face is a lack of consideration and courtesy to the person reciving the smoke in their faces. Oh and yes, smoking does also happen in the prioity queue lines also not just the bog standard general public lines.