Welcome back, updates & FAQ

Attraction Source and TowersTimes website news, comments and suggestions.
Joel

Hello, and welcome back to the TT Forums!

As you're probably aware, we've been offline for a few hours over Saturday evening/Sunday morning to do some upgrades and maintenance work on the TT forums.

In that small amount of time, the TowersTimes team have worked hard to bring you the latest phpBB forum software, phpBB3 :D

There are a few changes with this new forum software, however we've worked hard to maintain the old look of the forums to try and make it familiar as possible for you. That said, there a few small things to familiarise yourself with, but pretty much everything is simple or simpler than before to use!

There are also some changes that we have implemented in the forum:
  • The Gallery has been put to rest - it was little used, so we have decided at this time to temporarily remove it for another exciting feature in future.
  • The Events feature again has also been put to rest, for the same reasons as above.
  • The Security control panel has been removed, as phpBB3 (our forum software) provides us with increased security protection as well as some other custom modifications we have made.
  • Post counts have been removed from the forum. Our new forum software allows us to remove post counts from profiles, and we have decided to take this option as we feel that post counts do not offer any functional use to our members. They have been used as a "status" tool unfortunately by some in the past, and we work hard to make TowersTimes open, friendly and inviting to all, and we feel this aids our quest in making TT a better place for all members, new and established.
  • The scrolling News Ticker at the top of the forum index has also been temporarily retired, again to be replaced in the near future with an improved feature.
  • The Traffic Boost board will now only be viewable to registered members, and ALL new topics will be moderated by one of the team beforehand to ensure that the rules of the board are being adhered to.
We also have a couple of new features...
  • There is a new Friends & Foes feature that allows to add people to your friends and foes list. If you have a user on your foes list, their posts will be "collapsed" and hidden from view in the thread.
  • Theres also a new RSS Feed for the forums, which will allow you to keep updated with the latest topics in your favourite RSS feed reader. Click on the orange RSS icon at the bottom of the new forum page.
And of course hopefully you'll find the new control panels and other little features of phpBB3 useful to.

If you do encounter any problems using the new forum, please do not hesitate to either PM one of the Team TT members, or email us via the "I need help / Report a bug!" link near the top of the forum menu.

Here's a few common problems that you may encounter and we are aware of:
  • There's no Birthdays showing for today on the board index!
    We are aware of this issue and are looking into it with phpBB, and are hoping to fix it shortly. There is a work around fix for this issue however - simply re-update your profile with your date of birth and it will display as normal on the birthdays list.
  • My username or password doesn't work!
    This appears to be a unfortunate occasional bug with the forum conversion software. All you need to do is reset your password via the "I forgot my password" link on the login page. This should fix the issue for you and you should be able to login as usual.
  • The forum is saying my username does not exist!
    Hopefully this should not happen - however unfortunately again in the conversion process data can be skipped/not converted due to a irregularity in the conversion process. Please contact one of the TT Team members in the help section below who will manually convert your account from the old forum to the new one.
If you do notice any other problems, bugs or irregularities, please contact us via the "I need help / Report a Bug!" link thats situated just underneath the forum menu buttons.

We'll be working to fix and improve the forum constantly over the coming days, weeks and months so please bear with us if you do spot any little things that we may have missed.

Finally, on behalf of all the TT Team, we'd like to thank you for your support with the TowersTimes community, and here's to the future! :D
Craig

A HUGE thank you goes to Joel for putting a hell of a lot of work into this. There's been weeks of work behind the scenes to get to where we are now and he's done an amazing job, especially since he hasn't been on the team that long either. Thanks also goes to the rest of the team for their input into the improvements which have come with the new version too!

Thanks to all the members who have been patient whilst we've worked on the upgrade over the course of tonight too. A special mention goes to those who've stayed up to see it go live. I'm not sure whether to thank you all or certify you as insane :P.

You may find the odd bug in the forum or need a bit of help. I'd encourage you all to use the Help/Report a Bug link at the top of this page if you find anything out of the ordinary. Any feedback goes to a central inbox that the team have access to in order for it to be addressed as soon as possible.

It be onwards and upwards from here :D
Joel

Reported & Fixed Bugs list...

Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th October
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]Age missing in post information[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]Shoutbox not displaying new shouts[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]General TT gallery avatars not showing[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]Back to Top link not working on posts[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]Long usernames disturbing forum template[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]Spell Chucker[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]+ and - buttons in Quick Reply box do nothing - Done 06/10/08[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]Favico (favourite icon) missing[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]Search engine results redirected to new forum URL[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]Search engine highlighting now working correctly[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]Topic tooltips highlight/review missing[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • Search function keeps shutting down randomly - still investigating, although should be less frequent now
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]Strike text BBcode added. Like this. Duh[/s:ng3jl8h3]
Monday 6th October
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]Some external links opening in new window AND current window[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]Joined dates, location and age missing for some members[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]All images and CSS hosted on old forum domain[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]Some posts are busting the forum size, stretching it out by around 20px[/s:ng3jl8h3]
  • [s:ng3jl8h3]Post preview popup was showing with Last Post date as title tag too[/s:ng3jl8h3]
Joel

Hello guys,

Just a quick heads up to say... the thanks button is back. Woo! :D

You can thank away all night to your hearts content again now :joy:
Joel

Heres a quick couple of tips that we're seeing being asked a lot:

Wheres the "Mark all forums read" link gone?!

Its still there, just a bit hidden....

Why does the post preview popup have a preview of the FIRST post in the thread, and not the last post?

This is a setting in your profile board preferences to adjust. Unfortunately it had to default to "first" rather than "last" post when we installed it.

You can also completely turn it off if it annoys you :D

Click here to view the preferences in your profile

Joel

Ok mooooooore updates.... I have my h4x0r1ng hat on tonight again ;)

You may notice that the forum now magically resizes images that are too big to fit in nicely.

It should do this automagically, however whilst the page is still loading you might notice the picture sizes be their usual size then alter smaller, but they should settle down as soon as the page is finished loading.

If you click on an image, you should get a pretty "lightbox" popup that shows the image in its original size. Click the close button in the bottom right to close the lightbox popup.

You don't need to do anything different; just keep posting with the [img] tags and the forum looks after the rest :D

Also awaiting testing and confirmation on most major browsers, but I'll carry that out over the next day or so.

Any problems, head over to here to report them.

Thanks guys :D
Joel

And final one for this evening:

We now hve a speel chekking function built inn t the forum, so therres no excuses for not chekking yours speeling before posting :P

Click the Spell Check button beneath the text area to load a popup spell checker*

You might have to teach it some theme park lingo to begin with, but it will learn new words - just please ensure that your spelling of the word is perfect before telling it to learn it, otherwise it will replace it for everyone incorrectly! :D

*May not work on all browsers, but it does on IE... with it not having the luxury of a built in spell checker anyway ;)

Thanks guys :D
Joel

Hello,

Just a quick new feature I'd like to bring to your attention :D

We now have a "spoiler" tag, which some of you may already be acquainted with (geeks), and some of you not. If not, carry on reading....

Sometimes people want to post information in a thread that may "spoil" another persons enjoyment. For example, if we were talking about the latest blockbuster release at the cinema, say Alton Bear does Dallas, and you wanted to post some opinion about the dramatic ending sequence involving lots of gore, you should probably consider it a respectful thing to give people the choice to read about it, rather than spoil it all for them.

So, now, you can enclose your text within the new [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] tags and it'll automagically be hidden from view, unless the person wants to read it.

So, for example:

[spoiler:bj46ersb]I like spooooooons[/spoiler:bj46ersb]

You can now click the little "show" button to reveal the top secret spoiler text. Taaadahhh!

With that little tutorial in mind, please please remember to show your forum friends a little respect and now post anything "spoiling" within the spoiler tags.

Any problems, drop the team a line via the "I need help!!1!" link up near the toolbar.

kthx everyone :D
Joel

We have a workaround fix in place for linked signature images....

Please use the tag [sigimg] instead of [img] for your signature images :D

This will allow images to be wrapped in tags etc also :D e.g. [code][url=htt ... g[/sigimg][/code]

Thanks peoples :D