Corkscrew: The End of an Era.

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Corkscrewed

[quote=""Wes""][quote=""towers freak""][quote=""Wes""]This isn't directly linked to Alton Towers by the way. Just to remind you.[/quote]
I don't understand you wes.[/quote]

This website is run by Staffordshire University I believe?[/quote]

*shrugs*

I entered, I thought it was rather obvious actually... then again I did dumb it down a fair bit :P
towers freak

Im still quite stumped and puzzled at the question. Anyone else prepared to give me some help. The question seams a bit cryptic. Compared to 1980 would you say 1994 is recent.
PeteB

[quote=""towers freak""]Im still quite stumped and puzzled at the question. Anyone else prepared to give me some help. The question seams a bit cryptic. Compared to 1980 would you say 1994 is recent.[/quote]

Time is all relative! 1994 is only 15 years ago, 1980 is 29 years ago and so almost double.

Me personally I would say the mid nineties was recent but not olden days, mainly because I was around in that time and old enough to know about things and appreciate them.

But then again its also more than a decade - 15 year old car would be considered old. Yet a 15 year old house would be considered recent! It all depends on the expected lifespan of the subject.

^^ Thats my opinion on the question, of the question of which towersfreak asked lol. I'm not interested in silly competitions.
Jon

I've just sent in my answer, even though I'm not entirely sure its right. Its probably the closest I'll get to the right answer at any rate. Things I was stuck with the people or who ordered the installation bit. Because what does that actually mean? I have the two names in mind, but they both actually had very different jobs. There's only the two names I can think that are connected to the rides.
Formerly "Dagoo"
Skumfidus

[quote=""towers freak""]Im still quite stumped and puzzled at the question. Anyone else prepared to give me some help. The question seams a bit cryptic. Compared to 1980 would you say 1994 is recent.[/quote]

The question uses the word recently in the context of 'Until recently', meaning the removal of one Corkscrew has left the park with only one left....recently...
Corkscrewed

Why does it have to mean theres one left? maybe they're both gone...
Skumfidus

[quote=""Corkscrewed""]Why does it have to mean theres one left? maybe they're both gone...[/quote]

I suppose, but there are only two corkscrews that I can think of in the grounds, one of which has now gone, so i'm guessing the one that's left gives reason to the wording of the question
Jon

Well I submitted my answer before anyway. Not sure if it was correct. I suppose as its past the cut-off time we can share answers.

I put
Nemesis - 1993/1994 - John Wardley
Corkscrew - 1979-1980 - John Broome.

I had trouble with the names cause John Wardley is a concept designer and John Broome was the park managing director. They both had different jobs and probably instructed in different ways. They are the only names I could think of connected with the coasters though. But Corkscrew didn't have a concept designer like Nemesis did, so its all relative. I'm probably wrong, but you have to be in it to win it!
Formerly "Dagoo"
AstroDan

Surely it was re: Corkscrew fountain?

I haven't entered as I couldn't be bothered, but Corkscrew (coaster) and the Corkscrew (fountain) seemed obvious.

:?
Vik

The Corkscrew Fountain in the gardens is still there isn't it?
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

John

Are they going to be making the video available to everyone, not just members, at some point?
kfudge55

This has just been posted on the Alton Towers Heritage site
The Question:
until recently Alton Towers had two Corkscrews. Name the years they were both installed, and name the people who ordered their instillation.
The Answers:
“Until recently there were two Corkscrews” I deliberately used a capital letter for ‘C’orkscrews to indicate a ‘named’ object/feature in each case. As you all know, one Corkscrew (the Corkscrew Rollercoaster) was recently dismantled. The other Corkscrew is the Corkscrew Fountain, which has been in the gardens for a very long time…..and which can still be seen today. See a picture in the ‘Image Library’ under the ‘Gardens’ section on the website!

The person ordering the Instillation of the Corkscrew Rollercoaster was John Broome. Although many people identified the part that Alan Brown, Denis Bagshaw and others played in the instillation – John was the man who took this decision and ordered this instillation.
The Corkscrew was installed over the winter of 1979/1980.
The person ordering the instillation of the Corkscrew Fountain was Charles, 15th Earl of Shrewsbury – although again, many identified the part that garden architects and sculptors played too.
the year that the Corkscrew Fountain was installed was the most difficult, and although many came very close, only one person actually got this absolutely spot-on. The date was 1820. Although there are some who think it may have been slightly later, I take Peter Hayden as my source, who is THE expert on all things to do with the gardens at Alton Towers, and who, from his extensive research, has stated 1820 as the correct date.
(lots of Peter’s work is ready to be uploaded to the site in the near future)
Sorry for the detailed explanations, but I thought some would appreciate them, especially after so many people entered and clearly took time to think about their answers.
A number of people came very, very close, but there was only one person who had all the correct answers – and that person was JOHN TAYLOR
Congratulations John – and we’ll be contacting you soon so Alton Towers can organize the delivery of your prize – which is a small piece of Corkscrew (the rollercoaster that is) which has been mounted for display.
thanks to everyone. Again, we hope you’ve enjoyed the time lapse footage and please check back for developments in the near future.

Regards,
Gary Kelsall

you should have entered Astrodan you might have won it !!
Jon

Omg how thick am I! Grrrr....I wouldn't why it didn't make sense.

Very Clever, congrats to the people who are in with a chance anyway...

Edit @ 6:11pm - Lol...sorry its a habit. I'm so annoyed at myself for not getting that right! It's so obvious now...
Formerly "Dagoo"
Chris W

Meh.

Oh well, I don't care/know anything about fountains in the gardens.
I got the actual Corkscrew bit right and then spent ages trying to figure out who the manager was at the time Nemesis opened.

Well done to John who won, you deserve it for the fountain answer!
Anonymous

D'oh 5 years out on the Fountain! I put 1825! Damn the Public Monument and Sculpture Association database!!!

Ah well!

Nice prize too! A mounted bit of Corky!
dont look down 2005

gah! I put 1832 for the fountain thing... how annoying. But yes well done to the winner John! Great Prize!
corkscrewcar

[quote=""Disco Ball""]Meh.

Oh well, I don't care/know anything about fountains in the gardens.
I got the actual Corkscrew bit right and then spent ages trying to figure out who the manager was at the time Nemesis opened.

Well done to John who won, you deserve it for the fountain answer![/quote]

Thank you for your comments, very supprised to win, again !!

Much cheaper than the last piece of Corkscrew I won.
Wes

:P You must be the jammiest enthusiast alive.
towers freak

I think the question was very badley worded the park had 5 corkscrews, two on corkscrew, the fountain and two on nemesis (techniquly barrel rolls) not two as the question asked. The person who won was very lucky to know the anwser. Congratulations to john im not a sore looser but the question wasnt fair in my view.