Corkscrew: The End of an Era.

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
towers freak

I wonder when garry will post about this replacement comp then i cant find anything about it at all.
It looks like he's doing it now as it looks as if he is editing the corkscrew news artical.
Joe Koopa

Wow!

That video was really good, I had no idea how much space it actually took up. I always thought it was quite a compact coaster but it wasn't.

Rita Land will look empty next season.
patey

all that effort yesterday lol. owell we still got the vid i guess.
towers freak

Now we have all seen the footage does anyone care about the competition anymore as the prize will properly be a t-shirt or poster which if anyone who wanted them would have bought them already and they would probably get to the winners house in a bad condition.
Jon

But their insistence that they "have the prize, and we want a winner" surely means that its worth going to the trouble of doing it again? I don't no, even if its a t-shirt I'd still want to get my hands on it!
Formerly "Dagoo"
Rob L

I'm certain that the prize will be something better than a t-shirt or a poster, I'm thinking something along the lines of some framed Corkscrew deconstruction photos. It doesn't look like this new competition will be appearing today, it's been a long time since the e-mail was sent out.

Jon

Esciting update on the competition...
Quick Update : 2nd Feb 2008

As subscribers to this website have been informed, the person who was first to click the link to the Corkscrew time lapse footage in the recent competition was not registered with a valid email. Therefore, we must quickly come up with an alternative winner of the special Corkscrew related prize which Alton Towers are eager to dispatch. So here we go:

Until recently Alton Towers had two Corkscrews. Name the years they were both installed, and name the people responsible for their instillation.

The prize will go to the person who correctly gives – or gets closest to - the correct dates and names to the four part answer. Email me with your answers. My email address can be found under 'Contacts' on the web-site. THERE IS NO RUSH. To give everyone a chance to see the details of this quiz, we wont close the competition until 5pm on Wednesday 4th February. If there is more than one person with the correct set of answers we will put their names into a hat. Good luck to those who want to enter. We hope everyone has enjoyed the time lapse video. We hope to bring you more exclusives in the future!

Regards,

Gary

So its a matter or research rather than speed at clickage now!!!

I've thought about what the question actually means, as it's a bit ambiguous. I think I have an answer.
Formerly "Dagoo"
towers freak

I don't really understand the question.
James

Same here, could someone explain please?
Dean

You need to find the year these Corkscrews were installed, and also who decided to install them...
Last edited by Dean on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

Thanks. Mr Jlton understands now!

:)
Jon

I think part of the answering in the question lies in overcoming what it is telling you tbh...don't give away too much!
Formerly "Dagoo"
barryzola

Don't know why i waste my time with anything to do with Alton Towers and competitions or anything for that matter :P

Good luck to whoever can be bothered to enter the new competition, there'll probably be loads of the same correct answer as the info is there on the tinter at the push of buttons if you press the right ones. It'll probably actually be a decent prize now i've decided to give up anyway. Enjoy :lol:
Dean

[quote=""barryzola""]Don't know why i waste my time with anything to do with Alton Towers and competitions or anything for that matter :P

Good luck to whoever can be bothered to enter the new competition, there'll probably be loads of the same correct answer as the info is there on the tinter at the push of buttons if you press the right ones. It'll probably actually be a decent prize now i've decided to give up anyway. Enjoy :lol:[/quote]

It won't be second time lucky, as i'm not that lucky... :P

Worth entering though, gotta be in it to win it!
Wes

This isn't directly linked to Alton Towers by the way. Just to remind you.
towers freak

[quote=""Wes""]This isn't directly linked to Alton Towers by the way. Just to remind you.[/quote]
I don't understand you wes.
barryzola

Yeah but knowing my luck it'll just be a poster or something that i've already got so i won't bother trying to win again. Obviously now i'm not entering it'll actually be someting good though :D
Dean

Why aren't they stating what the prize is?
Wes

[quote=""towers freak""][quote=""Wes""]This isn't directly linked to Alton Towers by the way. Just to remind you.[/quote]
I don't understand you wes.[/quote]

This website is run by Staffordshire University I believe?
barryzola

Don't know but it's dragged out a bit long now if it's just something that we've probably already bought at the Corkscrew event. In hindsight i think everyone realises that it probably would have been best if the winner was the one who emailed Gary at the heritage site first with the page details instead of it coming down to the one who could remember their exact login details for the site. How often does anyone login?

I'm pretty sure i was the first one or equally the first to find it but then it took me an extra 3-4 mins to get my username/password resent to me. Even then i'm pretty sure i was within seconds of being first. I'm very aware that i should grow up but i'm just stating the facts and if you're gonna have a competition where people are spending their own time at the weekend trying to win then helps if there's actually a winner. Otherwise it just takes the mick a bit. Not getting wound up or anything and fair play to the people who enter the next competition but this is a forum and i'll express my thoughts :)