Corkscrew: The End of an Era.

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Chris W

Yes, definately. Many thanks to Dan and ATA for these shots.

Its part of Alton Towers history and any bits of media we can get of the deconstruction is great.

Once again, thanks Dan.

Although I went on Corkscrew only a few times, I know how much a part of Alton Towers history it was.
Rita 2005

A friend sent me this picture he had obtained online, whilst the main subject is clearly Rita, you can see a Corkscrew Train entering the station in the top left corner.

Altonator

Great pic there cheers :) Now lets imagine Rita painted all green in 2010 :)
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
Tommy

I really do hope they paint the track green, or grey to that matter, anything not so ermm Rita?

That's a great shot though to be honest :)
Dave

ive seen that picture before, i think it was in a book called "Britain From Above" or something.

i noticed a couple of weeks ago that the corkscrews are lieing on the floor behind charlie. before th etrees started to fill out a bit you could just about see them from the twirling toadstool.
Ash84

Thanks for the link to the pics, its good to know they Corkscrews are still on site. I was a bit worried that they aren't on show yet, but to know they have not been scrapped is a good thing.

Ash
Anonymous

I am so sad that i never went on it.IF ONLY I WENT TO ALTON TOWERS eleir then i would have been there on the last day. LONG LIVE CORKSCREW! :(
NickT04

[quote=""oblivion_mad""]I am so sad that i never went on it.IF ONLY I WENT TO ALTON TOWERS eleir then i would have been there on the last day. LONG LIVE CORKSCREW! :([/quote]

Get yourself to Flamingo Land mate. No idea where it is, google will tell you! They have (or at least did) have the exact same ride there, it's name? Corkscrew!
Rathaus

[quote=""Ash""]Id put a toilet and microwave in it :)[/quote]

You would do poopies in Corkscrew? You sicken me.
Alton Buzz

To anybody that's interested you can now see the Corkscrew dismantling without subscribing to the heritage website
http://www.altontowersheritage.com/memb ... kscrew.asp

Also,
[quote=""davidaiow""]Never really appreciated how much like bones the tracks look.[/quote]
I think that was the intention, wasn't it was repainted to fit in with Ug Land?
Where the magic never ends.
abb

I am really missing this ride so much it was the first coaster i had ever been on that went upside down so it holds a lot of sentimental value to me.
Crofty

[quote=""abb""]I am really missing this ride so much it was the first coaster i had ever been on that went upside down so it holds a lot of sentimental value to me.[/quote]

Same here. I Know it's going to have a fantastic ride in its place but i'll still miss it, mostly because it was one of my boys favourites more than mine. Althoguh it did also remind me of my childhood aswell.
At least part of her will always be at Towers now.
abb

Same here. I Know it's going to have a fantastic ride in its place but i'll still miss it, mostly because it was one of my boys favourites more than mine. Althoguh it did also remind me of my childhood aswell.
At least part of her will always be at Towers now.
totally agree with you on this one, i am looking forward to thirteenth, but she still has that place in my hart. i did read some where that they where going to put the corkscrews two corkscrews in front of the entrance im guessing where you pay to get in. and they was going to paint them gold or purple? i do hope this happens as it would mean lots to me to have a photo of me standing next to them.
Bote

You sure did.
[url=http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... =2&t=25152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25152[/url]
abb

[quote=""Begining Of The End""]You sure did.
[url=http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... =2&t=25152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25152[/url][/quote]

that is fab if you hear before me when they put them in could up drop us a pm, so i can get up there asap [-o<
Bote

I'd just say watch this space
[url=http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... =2&t=25152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25152[/url]
All the latest stuff will be going here.
abb

thank you for the heads up Begining Of The End
corkscrewcar

For anyone that is interseted, a picture of the car as it is now. Will post some more when its complete.

Big Dave

Seriously that is awesome and that is kinda what I expected Alton Towers to do with the old cars. Why caint they paint the new feature at the park entrance that colour and then add the remaining ride car parks onto it to make not only a good statement feature but a proper statue of such a great ride.
AWTSW90

Yes it would be nice if they bolted a car to the track and made a real-life version of that classic corkscrew shot

From an enthusiasts point of view anyway.

But I suppose for a first time visitor, they would prefer something that fits the current overall resort image, and the purple and gold is right for this.
A shame in a way, but at least they went to the effort! It would have been far easier to sell it for scrap along with (most of) the rest.