Corkscrew: The End of an Era.

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
DomB

What time is the park going to be open on the 9th?
Wes

[quote=""AstroDan""]Goodbye, lift noise. Goodbye panoramic view from the top. [/quote]

Those were the best. I remeber riding it back in '98/'99 trying to see the hotel because I didn't know where it was :P But you could see for miles from the top of that ride :)

This ride defined the 80's for Alton Towers and set it up for the huge impact of Tussauds and what happened in the 90's. No other ride since has really matched up in terms of hype.
oldgitBEN

Well what an era that rides had! It played a massive part in the theme park developing and has seen a couple of paintjobs, 3 areas and many a neighbour.
I do like Corky and I think the jump from the likes of spinball/rmt to nemesis/rita is going to be alot for kids, Corkscrew was a good middle ground for gowing kids and people who just dont like the bigger coasters.

Ah well, eveything has its time - and since Rita arrived its really hit home just how rough and old she is, and with the rumoured removal of the Ug Swinger this season too does it mean we are FINALLY getting rid of Ug Land?! PLEAAAASE.

Also Im taking it as pretty much granted the 2010 project is as predicted going to be built around that area, so theres only Rita to fit into those plans now.
ReallyRollercoasterRules

[quote=""oldgitBEN""]
Ah well, eveything has its time - and since Rita arrived its really hit home just how rough and old she is, and with the rumoured removal of the Ug Swinger this season too does it mean we are FINALLY getting rid of Ug Land?! PLEAAAASE.
[/quote]

I've heard that UG Swinger's likely to be moving to Cred Street as part of the re-theme

Poor Corkie :(
Really Rollercoaster- The Latest Theme Park News & Reviews

http://www.reallyrollercoaster.co.uk/
stigzy

Screw Alton Towers and its bad, heartless, insane publicity fuelled stunts. You watch me I'll do it Dan, I really will, Thorpe Park all the way for me from here on in! Complete twaddle, of course

I just don't get why it’s come to this though?! All it needed really was the same TLC that Flamingo Lands corkscrew has been given! It does make you wonder somewhat, if corkscrew can't be maintained to last no more than 28 years, then what about old Nemesis and co? Are they walking down the same road and going to suffer the same fate too?! Or are they going to be maintained and adopt the same 'classic' title that 90% of all Pleasure Beach, Blackpool's rides have?

Corkscrew was harmless & wasn't taking up valuable space. Alton Towers have got more land than your Grandma's ever walked on. So where people get the "its taking up valuable space" malarkey from, I just don't know, because it isn't! Anything is possible and there is plenty of land to build on, so why go over old area's? Why not develop new areas, expand, put in new rides and keep the old rides too?! Corkscrew did, and I'm almost certain still would pull in and rack up quite a decent queue too. That’s if it wasn't hidden and cast in the shadows behind that red thing wearing a wonky fake crown with false nails!

Worst decision ever! EVER :evil:! On a more serious note though. R.I.P. Corkscrew (32 days in advance). I just hope the memorabilia is a little more in depth than a badge and a teddy bear. Because I at the very least require a cup! And er, I suppose I owe Dan a picnic... :shock:
ReallyRollercoasterRules

I have to agree- Alton Towers THIS IS A JOKE :evil: . Why can't you see that corkscrew should be at Alton Towers forever. This decision is worse than the Black Hole removal & the Rita "ride".

Thorpe Park are adding something good next year and Alton Towers are losing their no.3 top ride- Thorpe will be the UK@s number one theme park next year- and it'll reflect in attendances.

Alton Towers have just made the worst decision possible- and the only valid reason for this happening is if a decent bid has come in. If that ride goes into a scrapyard then somebody's going to pay. :firebounce:

Wes

Nothing lasts forever guys.

Out with the old & in with the new. Lets not forget what this ride did for the park though.
eddyfenton

Goodbye to the rough old Corky then... my first coaster like a lot of other people.

Ug Land is going to be very odd with just Rita while they develop the new rides and themed area.

I'm sure they will build something that will have just as big impact as the she did in 1980.

At least this means, surely, that something BIG is finally going to be confirmed soon and that we are moving into a serious investment period on the theme park.
ReallyRollercoasterRules

Erm.. Does that mean in 20 years you'll be saying that about Nemmie, Air & Oblivion? (Hopefully that piece of crap Rita will be gone WAAAAAAY before then)

AstroDan

With all due respect, the guest scores for Rita are massively, light years ahead for those for Corkscrew.
Dunny#1

Wow.

Mum just told me, said she heard it on the news headlines on radio 4!

Gogin in 12 days so might spend all day on the old girl :D
Dunny#1

[quote=""ReallyRollercoasterRules""]I have to agree- Alton Towers THIS IS A JOKE :evil: . Why can't you see that corkscrew should be at Alton Towers forever. This decision is worse than the Black Hole removal & the Rita "ride".

Thorpe Park are adding something good next year and Alton Towers are losing their no.3 top ride- Thorpe will be the UK@s number one theme park next year- and it'll reflect in attendances.

Alton Towers have just made the worst decision possible- and the only valid reason for this happening is if a decent bid has come in. If that ride goes into a scrapyard then somebody's going to pay. :firebounce:[/quote]
Slightly over the top there. All goof thigns come to an end, and lets be honest here, if you say to someone on the street "Alton Towers" they are not going to think about Corkie are they, fact is people are not as keen on it anymore as they used to be, its bumpy, and only has two loops, a business decision which i think in the long term is right for the park.

TTF Team - Please don't double post. Feel free to use the "edit" button on the first post to add to it - thanks :D
Sir John Talbot

[quote=""stigzy""]Screw Alton Towers and its bad, heartless, insane publicity fuelled stunts. You watch me I'll do it Dan, I really will, Thorpe Park all the way for me from here on in! Complete twaddle, of course

I just don't get why it’s come to this though?! All it needed really was the same TLC that Flamingo Lands corkscrew has been given! It does make you wonder somewhat, if corkscrew can't be maintained to last no more than 28 years, then what about old Nemesis and co? Are they walking down the same road and going to suffer the same fate too?! Or are they going to be maintained and adopt the same 'classic' title that 90% of all Pleasure Beach, Blackpool's rides have?

Corkscrew was harmless & wasn't taking up valuable space. Alton Towers have got more land than your Grandma's ever walked on. So where people get the "its taking up valuable space" malarkey from, I just don't know, because it isn't! Anything is possible and there is plenty of land to build on, so why go over old area's? Why not develop new areas, expand, put in new rides and keep the old rides too?! Corkscrew did, and I'm almost certain still would pull in and rack up quite a decent queue too. That’s if it wasn't hidden and cast in the shadows behind that red thing wearing a wonky fake crown with false nails!

Worst decision ever! EVER :evil:! On a more serious note though. R.I.P. Corkscrew (32 days in advance). I just hope the memorabilia is a little more in depth than a badge and a teddy bear. Because I at the very least require a cup! And er, I suppose I owe Dan a picnic... :shock:[/quote]

It's crap (the majority public opinion I'm sure agrees),

Hence, it is being removed for a better ride and to develop a currently overcrowding area which will, clearly, gain greater gate figures. This is called business sense.

Didn't know people could become so emotionally attached to a mass of steel tbh.
AstroDan

I am attached to it in a sense, but not to the point of Stigzz who appears to think Corkscrew is one of the best coasters in the land. When it clearly isn't. It's got a lot of history, a lovely view from the top, a whining noise which I love... but after that. MEH.
Wes

[quote=""Sir John Talbot""]Hence, it is being removed for a better ride.

Didn't know people could become so emotionally attached to a mass of steel tbh.[/quote]

Lets be honest here.

The Swans were a bit naff, boring and slow, but everyone moaned when they were removed because they were an 'icon' to the park marking the 'magic' era.

Now Corkscrew, it isn't up to the standards of Nemesis or Oblivion, however, in its time, it was amazing and the impact it had on Alton Towers & the public was enormous - much bigger than any other ride since. So surely, even though, the old babe is tired and past her time, can't we apreciate her for what she has actually done to the park in the past and send her off gracefuly? :)
CoasterCrazyChris

I agree with stigzy on this one, she's not taking up room, and they have got bags of land, so why not just give Corkie the TLC she needs, leave UG Land the way it is, and build somewhere else. Why should we have to lose a coaster to gain one?

AT really needs a ride like Corkscrew, as the gap between Spinball and the likes of Nemesis is too large.

If I was 10 years old and there was no Corkscrew, what coasters would I have to go on apart from SpWh?

I am not sentimental about her, but I say: LONG LIVE THE CORKSCREW!
Corkscrewed

It isn't just space to be considered. Running and maintenance cost have to be taken into account, (And I've heard they're rising pretty rapidly) and if your suggesting it's left SBNO, then I'm afraid that I find the idea ridiculous. nothing is worse than an non running coaster in the park, Icon or not. it looks bad. since the space will hopefully be recycled, then there's nothing better I say.

Times change fellas, Corkys loss will be a productive one if we get anything near whats been speculated for 2010 :D
Craig

Bloomin' 'eck this is causing a right little discussion isn't it :P

Corkscrew isn't going solely due to lack of space. The ride is old, the vat majority of people now have an opinion that it's rough and it's popularity is waning to say the least.

Cost wise, the cost of the "TLC" (ie a complete overhaul, cars, station, the lot) needed would far exceed any financial benefit Towers would gain. The ride, no matter what you did to make it smoother, is still bland in comparison to the newer coasters AT now has.

You wouldn't constantly pump money into a car that was past it, you'd get a new one. The maintenance costs would far outweigh keeping it. That's exactly what's happened with Corkscrew.

Time to let go people, make way for progress :D
CoasterCrazyChris

I'm still not fully understanding, I don't see the point in removing Corkie and then adding another coaster in its place, I thought one of the main problems in that area was space, there's no room for another coaster in that area not with Rita, if they're gonna build a coaster it needs to be in the wood behind.

Personally I think having two coasters squashed up next to each other is ridiculous, Rita and Corkscrew, prime example. Nemmie and Air are not so bad.
AstroDan

It would work fine if it's properly planned out. They could expand further away from the current area, with planning. Keeping Corkscrew is pointless - it's a large area - perfect for a major new installation for 2010!