Corkscrew: The End of an Era.

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Alton Buzz

To be fair though, the Corkscrew is still on the map (clouded over) so the general public could be easily misled!

(I'm not knocking the park's effort though!)
Where the magic never ends.
Rita 2005

The Sun setting on the Corkscrew.

Vicky-Leigh

That's a lovely pic. I wanted to go to Alton Towers in October because I heard they were removing the Corkscrew, but then a lot of bad things happened :( which meant I never got there. Am upset that I never got to ride it one last time. Ah well, can't wait to see what's gonna go in it's place!x
I\'m contemplating thinking about thinking.
It\'s overated, just get another drink in.
Altonator

Just seen this on ATA :D
Flamingoland seem to also be celebrating the removal of the Corkscrew of their website:
[url=http://www.flamingoland.co.uk/park/ride ... screw.html" target="_blank]http://www.flamingoland.co.uk/park/ride ... screw.html[/url]

...and for the lazy amongst you, the quick fact panel states:
-The UK’s only Vekoma corkscrew
-A firm favourite with all ages
-Low minimum height restriction
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
stesutton

this is a very stupid question but is that corkscrew the same as the one that alton towers had?
Rob L

[quote=""stesutton""]this is a very stupid question but is that corkscrew the same as the one that alton towers had?[/quote]

No, Flamingo Land have had it since 1983 although it's layout is identical to that of Alton's Corkscrew. :)

stesutton

[quote=""Rob""][quote=""stesutton""]this is a very stupid question but is that corkscrew the same as the one that alton towers had?[/quote]

No, Flamingo Land have had it since 1983 although it's layout is identical to that of Alton's Corkscrew. :)[/quote]

oh no thats what i meant, thank you though thats crazy two of the same ride in the same country!
Chris W

I guess Flamingoland saw how popular our Corkie was so they decided to get their own version to try and replicate some of the success.
furie

[quote=""Disco Ball""]I guess Flamingoland saw how popular our Corkie was so they decided to get their own version to try and replicate some of the success.[/quote]

It actually came from Spanish City at Whitley Bay. The ride there opened just a few months after the one at Alton. It was unlucky they weren't the countries first double inverting coaster (Alton's Corkscrew being the second inverting coaster in the country, and the second double Corkscrew in Europe :) ).

Spanish City was struggling back then and I think investment in the Corkscrew was their last attempt to try and make something of themselves, but it failed. Although the park did limp on another 20 years or so, it was a shadow of its former self. Flamingoland grabbed a bargain I think :)
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Joe Koopa

What Furie said is true. A quick search on RCDB confirms this-
[url=http://www.rcdb.com/id1887.htm" target="_blank]http://www.rcdb.com/id1887.htm[/url]
Sanbrooke Productions

Incase anyone was interested here's some ncie photos of the Corkscrew site now it's empty [url=" target="_blank][/url] .

:D :(
AstroDan

Nice to see how tidy it is for the new season. Hopefully they'll be sorting that this week!

:shock:
Johno

I'm surprised there isn't something advertising the new ride tbh.
Chris W

Noticed the Corkscrews are still lying on the ground.
Doesn't look like they will be getting put up somewhere anytime soon.
Jon

I agree that the area needs to be cleared up. I mean if the track needs to be there until they reconstruct it, then fair enough, but all that other rubble? It's clear to any visitor that the area is "space" that once housed something/will soon house something, but that doesn't excuse all the rubbish thats left there. If they leave it as blank busty ground, at least its neat until they start advertising SW6.

I hope they sort it out by opening. They have had a while...

Unless, none of that is construction stuff is it? Still deconstruction?
Formerly "Dagoo"
Rob L

I hope it's going to look better than that on Saturday, I can understand it being a mess when they actually start construction but at the moment it's just an open space that everyone can see, especially when on Rita.

Also I hope they know what they're going to do with the corkscrews, I was looking forward to seeing them put up somewhere next weekend but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. They need to get a move if they are planning on doing anything for the park's opening.

davidaiow

Never really appreciated how much like bones the tracks look...Themeing perhaps? Thanks as always Shaun.
Joe Koopa

[quote=""davidaiow""]Never really appreciated how much like bones the tracks look...Themeing perhaps?[/quote]

Seriosuly doubt it? Why would they bother puting a bone-themed ride in a carnival area back in the 80's? :?
Corkscrewed

It's just of been a coincidence, but the track does look like bones yeah.
Altonator

Thanks to Dan and all at ATA they have put some pics up of Corkscrew being taken down see them here :D [url=http://gallery.towersalmanac.com/thumbn ... ?album=532" target="_blank]http://gallery.towersalmanac.com/thumbn ... ?album=532[/url]
Great pics ATA cheers :D :D :D :D
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek