Bus crashes near bridge in Alton

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Craig

This has just popped up on the BBC News ticker
LATEST: Multiple casualties reported as coach overturns in village near Alton Towers, Staffordshire. More soon.
I do hope no one's seriously hurt :shock:

Edit Further information from BBC:
Ten people have been injured after a bus crashed near the Alton Towers theme park in Staffordshire.

The bus hit a wall before ending up in a garden, West Midlands Ambulance Service said.

Three people have been seriously injured, one with head injuries, while seven others have also been hurt.

Two air ambulances have been sent to Station Road, Alton, and an investigation has begun into the collision.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7569112.stm
Last edited by Craig on Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squiggles

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7569112.stm

Sounds like its the bottom of the Valley with the churnet in.
Edwardo..... move me!
AstroDan

This sounds awful. No doubt they were returning after their day out.

:(
BULBOUS

Bypass, anyone?

Convenient place for the Air ambulances to land, though.
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.
Eagie

My other half has just been called in to work at the hospital so it must be a serious incident. She seems to think some of them are in life threatening condition and obviously quite a few others with major injuries.
Nick

This is Staffordshire are saying that the coach has gone over a bridge, only place I could really see that happening is when the road goes past the Alton Bridge Hotel, but thats a straight bit of road :?
Craig

Yup exactly where I'm thinking Nick. There is a slight bend there and apparently the bus collided with a car. Seems to be looking worse than first thought now:
s many as 30 people have been injured after a bus crashed near the Alton Towers theme park in Staffordshire.

The bus collided with a car before coming off a bridge near Station Road, Alton.

Three people have been seriously hurt, one with head injuries, while seven others are trapped.

The ambulance service said there were several walking wounded. Two air ambulances have been sent to the scene and an investigation has begun.
Edit - I would imagine it occurred here :(
Last edited by Craig on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squiggles

Station Road is the road just after the bridge when you are coming away from the Towers.
Edwardo..... move me!
Nick

Yeh but i'm guessing they say Air Ambulances have been sent to station road seeing as the front garden of the Alton Bridge Hotel, on Station Road, has a helipad

EDIT: Sky News say it was a double decker. Perhaps too much speed coming down the hill towards the village could be one reason?
Ryan

An eyewitness has just said on the BBC News Channel that there could be some fatalities.

Figers crossed this isn't the case.
Liam

Hope no-one has been killed. :(

Maybe they'll actually get a move on with the Eastern Access Road now. This wouldn't have happened if it had gone ahead. The large number of accidents was a prime reason for it and is enhanced even more so now, but they only care about making money.
Last edited by Liam on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Apparantly the coach falling over the bridge hasn't been confirmed. Perhaps its overturned when cornering before the bridge?
BULBOUS

It fell off a bridge, BBC has been updated:BBC News.
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.
Squiggles

Well the BBC now has it upside down having come off the Bridge over the Churnet.

It doesn't sound like a Double Decker... it sounds more like a coach.
Edwardo..... move me!
Kaycee

Just had a report that there's been one fatality and AT are taking in some of the walking wounded into HQ - not sure how true it all is.

How awful. :( What a tragic end to a great day. :(
Last edited by Kaycee on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Well one Air Ambulance has gone to the trauma unit at Selly Oak in Birmingham, all land ambulances are going to North Staffs
Matt

My girlfriend just told me ;
She lives in the village, and her nan just told her, they're opening Alton village hall as a sort of refuge because there is over seventy casualties.

That's really terrible :(

mat
x
Mattia

This is awful, i hope no one is in a life threatening condition :(
AstroDan

There appear to be conflicting reports at the present time.

BBC News 24 just reported that so far there are no fatalities, but some have been taken to a trauma unit in Selly Oak, Birmingham. Some have gone to North Staffs and one to Nottingham.
MissVengeance

I wish someone would confirm for sure what is happening. It seems even the news channels don't really know what's going on. It's kind of upsetting when it's happened right at the bottom of where I live, just round the corner, and this has really shocked me.

(this is my first post, :dance: but I've been reading ttf for ages)

Cathy xxoo