The end of corkscrew

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
DomB

Well, i suppose corkscrew being removed is a good sign of something comeing to Ugland, then they'll probably close of Ugland sometime next year
Ash

[quote=""AstroDan""][quote=""AIRrider""]This is intruiging news, if true , ofcourse.
I would have thought though Alton Towers would have the decentsy to keep it for it's 30th.

So much for 30 rides.
[/quote]

Yes, but ask yourself:

- Keep Corkscrew for the 30th
- Have a big new ride for the 30th.

The latter, clearly, is preferable for a big anniversary!

In 1980, Alton Towers opened its gates as a leisure park with the revolutionary new rollercoaster - Corkscrew. And now, to celebrate its 30th anniversary, Alton Towers once again brings in a major new attraction...

:D[/quote]

Alton Towers is at its best when it tapds into the history of itself and its surroudnings, ive never known Alton do this apart from Nemesis, Hex and recently with the Oblivion X Stuff.

They wouldnt make such a blatant reference to the past with a new ride, its just not there style recently
NemmieAddict

If they don't (I doubt it), please don't shoot the messenger. :wink:
-
They do get inside information (they work there) so i'd say 70% I believe him. He seemed pretty sure. Should I call and ask?
Last edited by NemmieAddict on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DomB

well, thinking about it more, it does seem likely to go this year, as they would need more than a closed season to prepare and build.
Big Dave

The problem is for me, I know the ride is coming to the end of its working life, but it still commands attention in that area. Its the tallest ride there and it just looks so amazing. Its track design makes it look like bones and the ride has this feeling of having a soul and feels alive. So many rides on the park are dull and boring and lifeless. To me Corkscrew is full of life and it would be a shame to get rid of this ride.

Also, to replace it with a super smooth ride with no character would be such a shame. Them really need a ride that is not smooth and tame, but really gives your anus a right thrashing!
DomB

i wan't something with a bit of umph, something that shouts we can have a worlds best (not literally) and we can't even build above the treetops.

To be honest we deserve an amazing ride, and I do hope we get it, otherwise replacing corkscrews pointless.
bobblebob

How do you actually remove the corkscrew and replace it with something when Rita is in the way? Gonna be hard to get any cranes etc into position

I like the ride but they need to add padding to the restraints around the shoulder area
CoasterCrazyChris

I've basically given up on this discussion now, on one hand I want the Corkscrew removed, for the reason that we may see something big in 2010, but I have that horrid feeling they may just replace it with some mediocre ride instead, and it's one less rollercoaster for the park, but if we do see a new coaster in it's place, in needs to be one with inversions, most big parks now have more than one inverter nowadays. (even if Nemesis is great!). Sorry if i'm comparing a bit to Thorpe here...

Plus, despite the condition of Corky it's still a great what I like to call ''family ride'' for people who don't want the big thrills, and maybe find Spinball a bit to tame... :D

TBH I want to see whatever massive rides they have planned for 2010 (that's if they do) AND Corkscrew in the park, not to much to ask for now is it? :wink:
Big Dave

Corky is actually a very intense ride for its age. It has masses of airtime and takes the corners very violently. To me this feeling of being totally our of control, this raw power, makes the ride great.
bobblebob

Be good if they could improve the throughput on the ride. 1 car that goes rather slow around, means waiting times can be quite long even if the que is quite short
CoasterCrazyChris

Yeah, exactly, feels like catch 22 situation imo really. Keep it coz its still a much loved, popular, thrilling (but not extremely intense) ride; or replace it, but for us we have no real idea what with. :roll:
Big Dave

1 Car? Corkscrew normally operates with two cars and normally has no more than a 30min wait compared to the couple of hours wait on Rita.
bobblebob

[quote=""Big Dave""]1 Car? Corkscrew normally operates with two cars and normally has no more than a 30min wait compared to the couple of hours wait on Rita.[/quote]

Both yesterday and today, and when i went last March and May its only had 1 car. A long one, but only 1 running
Big Dave

Well when the queue gets big they always add the 2nd car unless there is something wrong with it.
AstroDan

[quote=""bobblebob""][quote=""Big Dave""]1 Car? Corkscrew normally operates with two cars and normally has no more than a 30min wait compared to the couple of hours wait on Rita.[/quote]

Both yesterday and today, and when i went last March and May its only had 1 car. A long one, but only 1 running[/quote]

1 is only necessary on a very quiet day. The ride is not as popular as other coasters at the park, and as it's all manually operated, it's pointless for the operator to have to keep an empty train online all day.

:)
PeteB

Theres no need to let it go, it is after all ANOTHER ride to go on. Im not saying quantity is more important than quality, just that its doing no harm.

I'd like to see it get repainted though and tidied up around its ground area. A nice water feature in the middle or even a volcano to fit in with the ugland theme would be nice.
Matt

Personally, I think that we all look in to the "badness" of corkscrew too much.

People who dont visit so much will most likely still enjoy corkscrew!

Its still a ride at the end of the day and thats what people come for. It may not be world class, but its still a ride.

I've changed my tune, corky hater for life i was :P

matt
:)x
rightbackgranty

True, it is a ride.

But if it were to be replaced by a new coaster in 2010, I really wouldnt be too bothered.
Corkscrewed

[quote=""rightbackgranty""]But if it were to be replaced by a new coaster in 2010, I really wouldnt be too bothered.[/quote]

Most people, apart from die hard corky lovers maybe, wouldn't. as long as it's better, then I'll be happy. I don't like corky much meself, but if it were replaced by a lesser beast, I would not be amused.

:D
LiamSAFC

Ah sweet corky...

I hope she dies a slow painful death! :twisted:

In all seriousness, the ride is very much outdated and doesn't compete with new coasters that are technologically advanced. The state of Corky isn't great with little/no theming and being completely dominated by Rita.

Corkscrew has had 25+ brilliant years at the Theme Park. It really set the ground for new coasters at Alton and it will be sadly missed. It just doesn't set the standard it used to. Now let the thing die, after all the pain and misery it has caused to our shoulders, heads and backs!

Technology moves on, it's like clinging on to an old VHS player! :P