Ghost Stories of Alton Towers

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
.Will

My brothers mates dads uncle knows a guy who says he saw that dog. Innit.

I am sorry I know these are only stories but there is nothing haunted (apart from the house) in the Towers.

Saying that many people kept large cats as pets and when a new law was intorduced in 1970 some were released into the wild. So there are many that still roam around in the wild.

There were reports of one near where I lived but I only ever saw spooky shadows at night.

:wink:
starbugger1303

I guess your right but hay we proberly never know. :(
Rowe

Doing a bit of research into haunted sections of the former estate and I found this article:

[quote=""trueghoststories.co.uk""]
Alton Towers, in Staffordshire, is the UK's number one tourist attraction. Due to the various reports of strange things that have occurred there over the years, it is not surprising that the site has attracted a lot of attention from paranormal groups, ghost hunters, and even the TV show Most Haunted. During the 1930's, when the Talbot family still owned the Property, one of their estate workers claimed to have witnessed ghostly happenings there. The estate worker was walking back from the train station one summer evening. The way back to the mansion was via the "Step Walk", a path which winds upwards through the heavily forested part of the grounds, and contains eighteen flights of steps. As he approached the final set of steps, he noticed a stranger standing at the top of the stairs. The stranger began to descend towards him. The gent's elegant clothing and shiny shoes seemed odd. The man was wearing a top hat and a long black flowing cape. A white scarf was wrapped around his neck, and he carried a black silver topped walking cane. As the figure drew nearer, the estate worker tilted his cap courteously to bid him goodnight, whereupon the figure vanished. Shocked, the worker ran all the way home. The next day he related his experience to the foreman, who asked if he'd seen a black dog. The foreman said he had seen the ghostly figure himself on several occasions, but he was always accompanied by a black dog.

Hex - The Legend of the Towers is an attraction designed by John Wardley at Alton Towers. It opened in 2000 and is situated in the original armory and picture gallery of the Gothic mansion. The attraction is attached to the curse at Alton Towers. This area is known by staff as one of the most haunted on the estate, as regular poltergeist activity has been witnessed there. Tools move of their own accord during the night, staff have had objects and stones violently thrown at them by an unseen entity. People queuing for the ride have seen ghostly children dressed in Victorian clothing that suddenly vanish.

The ghost of a well-built man has been seen in and around the music room by members of staff. Loud heavy footsteps have also been heard emitting from the room. When the room is investigated it is always found to be empty. Other footsteps have been heard in the banqueting room, but in this case they are accompanied by a dark shadowy figure.

The ghost of a lady in a long black dress has been spotted walking the corridors in the tower, a strong smell of perfume emanating from her spectral form. One member of staff mistook her for a guest who was still in the park after hours. When her asked her to leave, the woman slowly faded away in front of him.[/quote]

The part I'm most interested in finding out about is on the 'Step Walk'. Where is this exactly? Part of the Cross Valley Walk or somewhere else?

Source
barryzola

Steps walk - This was once one of the main routes into the towers. As a lot of people in the past arrived by train into the village of Alton itself (far less cars on the road etc), there was an entrance custom built adjacent to the station, just for Alton Towers itself (known as the station lodge). After getting off the train and walking up the train stations steps, visitors would walk over the road and pass under the large arch of the lodge. Now inside the Alton Towers grounds, visitors would effectively be at the bottom of the steps walk. The steps walk consists/consisted of a succession of flights of steps working it's way through "Abbey Wood" for a fair distance and past some interesting rock structures, until reaching the same level as the Towers. It was once possible when reaching this level to walk through the middle of what became the corkscrew and what is now Thirteen, continuing up to the Grand entrance to the house (now Hex entrance). That's the direction that the steps walk is. Imagine walking from the hex entrance and then through the middle of Thirteen into the woods. You can still get down there but you have to use a different route obviously.

Scroll down this page to the 5th picture and continue. There are a few views of the steps walk, past and present.

[url=http://www.altontowersmemories.net/page4.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.altontowersmemories.net/page4.htm[/url]

You'll see how it's untouched nowadays. Some parts of it can still be reached but at some points in the year there is too much foliage to continue. I've also got video of the station lodge moving on to the steps walk but i havn't added that to the video page yet. I will be doing that soon.
Blaze

[quote="".Will""]I am sorry I know these are only stories but there is nothing haunted in the Towers.[/quote]
Sorry to correct that for you.

Many animals appear to have red eyes at night. Doesn't make that a ghost dog.
.Will

[quote=""Blaze""][quote="".Will""]I am sorry I know these are only stories but there is nothing haunted in the Towers.[/quote]
Sorry to correct that for you.

Many animals appear to have red eyes at night. Doesn't make that a ghost dog.[/quote]

Lol. No Blaze I meant the Haunted House as in the past ride that is now Duel. It was a little joke.

:P
barryzola

Brand new off the press (that's probably over doing it haha) -

Put some never before seen footage of inside the Alton Towers Train Station lodge and steps walk stuff together from approx 2007 (never shared this before) :)

Here you go:

[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]

Edit - You should be able to enhance it to pretty much 3/4 of a full screen and still get a good view.
SamSimkin

On scarefest (rather ironic!)

I looked up at the towers (coming out of dark forest) and out of a window, just for a second I'm sure that I saw a man looking out and then I blinked and he was gone, quite high up so may have been a trick of the light but very spooky!
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
tharrison4815

I've had a couple of experiences, both on the same day earlier in the year, I think it was early September.

The first one was probably nothing, could easily be explained by the wind. I was walking through the gardens with my friend and we decided to check out the greenhouses, we noticed that one of them had an open door which had no padlock unlike the rest. Clearly it was supposed to be locked as it was full of broken glass and looked fairly dangerous, but we went inside anyway and had a look around, it felt really creepy in there so after a minute we both left and just a few seconds after leaving the door suddenly slammed shut very loudly as if someone was angry that we had entered into the first place. It was just strange because in the few minutes before and after the door slamming it did not move in the slightest and there was no wind or breeze at all at the time.

The second one was in the towers. Earlier in the day on the way from X-Sector to Dark Forest somehow me and my friend got separated in the towers (we were going through the towers as a shortcut) when we met outside Th13teen a few minutes later my friend told me that he had found a hidden area in the towers and wanted to show me. We decided to go back there at 17:30 when the park closed. If you enter the towers from the entrance just after leaving X-Sector through the small tunnel, in the first room straight ahead on the back right is a small flight of wooden stairs leading to what appears to be a fire exit. This door was open a little bit so we went in and found a small area with lots of messy cables hanging off the wall so this was clearly a back area not for visitors, in that area there is a room that you can see through a wide short archway in the brickwork (I'm not sure if this is a furness or something), we were peering inside and it was almost totally pitch black inside dispite being a sunny day but you could just make out the back wall a few metres back. Suddenly, while we were peering inside I suddenly heard the distinctive sound of a girls voice very clearly and very loud as if just infront of us inside this room, I know my friend heard this too because at the exact time I heard he jumped and said "what the f***?". We talked about it later on as we were leaving the park and both agreed that it was very clearly the sound of a girls voice but could not work out what the word was, and agreed that it definitely sounded like it came from within the room and did not sound like it could have come from anywhere else.
To top it off, we both went back to the park the following week (yes we have annual passes) and the door leading to this area was screwed shut. There were screws going through the door at an angle into the doorframe.
DrReeve

no real sightings but when the towers had just been refurbished like 2006 ish i took a walk around with my family. we split up to look at different parts and i had to go find the other half of my group. i went down this thin corridor and the had a really weird feeling like something was following me like chasing
Image credit to Lewis97
N3m3s1s

tharrison4815 wrote: I've had a couple of experiences, both on the same day earlier in the year, I think it was early September.

The first one was probably nothing, could easily be explained by the wind. I was walking through the gardens with my friend and we decided to check out the greenhouses, we noticed that one of them had an open door which had no padlock unlike the rest. Clearly it was supposed to be locked as it was full of broken glass and looked fairly dangerous, but we went inside anyway and had a look around, it felt really creepy in there so after a minute we both left and just a few seconds after leaving the door suddenly slammed shut very loudly as if someone was angry that we had entered into the first place. It was just strange because in the few minutes before and after the door slamming it did not move in the slightest and there was no wind or breeze at all at the time.

The second one was in the towers. Earlier in the day on the way from X-Sector to Dark Forest somehow me and my friend got separated in the towers (we were going through the towers as a shortcut) when we met outside Th13teen a few minutes later my friend told me that he had found a hidden area in the towers and wanted to show me. We decided to go back there at 17:30 when the park closed. If you enter the towers from the entrance just after leaving X-Sector through the small tunnel, in the first room straight ahead on the back right is a small flight of wooden stairs leading to what appears to be a fire exit. This door was open a little bit so we went in and found a small area with lots of messy cables hanging off the wall so this was clearly a back area not for visitors, in that area there is a room that you can see through a wide short archway in the brickwork (I'm not sure if this is a furness or something), we were peering inside and it was almost totally pitch black inside dispite being a sunny day but you could just make out the back wall a few metres back. Suddenly, while we were peering inside I suddenly heard the distinctive sound of a girls voice very clearly and very loud as if just infront of us inside this room, I know my friend heard this too because at the exact time I heard he jumped and said "what the f***?". We talked about it later on as we were leaving the park and both agreed that it was very clearly the sound of a girls voice but could not work out what the word was, and agreed that it definitely sounded like it came from within the room and did not sound like it could have come from anywhere else.
To top it off, we both went back to the park the following week (yes we have annual passes) and the door leading to this area was screwed shut. There were screws going through the door at an angle into the doorframe.
Erm...big ask, but do you have any photos? Same for everyone else, not sceptical, just interested!
DoubleOh7

I want to hear more about the things that have been seen in the gardens......please share!! :)
fiftysevenstudio

This house is a bit scary to be honest. it is looks like sort of chapel. Does anybody know what it is?

meames

There is a corridor in the basement of the Towers which is spooky - it acts like a wind tunnel and makes me feel like somebody is rushing past - its brilliant!
Joshysqaushy

Im Kinda creeped out now,,, in august when i went to the towers with my step-dad i split up and walked around and went on the rides alone ( im kind of a loner :p ) and i was walking from the towers where hex and the dark forest is to the forbidden valley and i kind of got lost so i asked a couple which way nemesis was and they pointed to go through the gardens -.- so im walking through the gardens all alone with no-one near me and all of a sudden i heard what sounded like a loud dog barking, i thought it was strange but i just kept walking on and then i heard a panting behind me like the sound a dog makes when its exitied and nothing was there, i started to sprint to the forbidden valley and when i got there i asked one of the sub-terror staff whether animals were aloud at alton towers and she said no 0.o and now i read there is a ghost dog that haunts the gardens  :shock:
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
tallicay2k

Yes a dog is Suppose to haunt the gardens, apparently when visible it has red eyes. Next time I might shout out SCOOBY DOO WHERE ARE YOU!?  :lol:
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Th13TEENGUY

Felt really paranoid and dizzy going through a shortcut in the towers and as soon as i reached the dark forest it stopped
It might have been coinsidence but was weird :|
LCFC til i die
carlgregory

I am a paranormal investigator and have investigated the Towers itself many times. For me personally it is a complete nightmare as there are windows broken which lets draughts get in, causing knocks and raps, pigeons nesting which adds to sounds shadows etc, whilst i enjoy this, i find this location very difficult
Braders2010

WARNING!!!!! LONG POST AHEAD (BUT INTERESTING)

In January 2014, I was lucky enough to go on a ghost hunt at alton towers. Here is my trip report. I hope you like it and feel free to add any comments or ask any questions :)

Alton Towers Ghost Hunt 11 January 2014

On arrival at Alton Towers, we made our way to the Goods & Admissions entrance. Security guided us around the road to the left of Sonic Spinballs queue and told us to park in front of the golf challenge.

To the right you could see the glow of the red and green lights (primarily used in Alton Towers Scarefest) lighting up the Towers Ruins. Looking towards X-Sector too, The Smiler was standing high and proud in the mist.

9.00pm and we all gathered on the lawns outside the ruins and were registered into the event where we were shown where the nearest loos were in fountain square, and then taken into the Chapel of the Towers where light refreshments were handed out.

Once all 48 people were inside the chapel, safety talks were explained and we got to know the team members and other guests. At approximately 9.45, we were split into 2 groups.

Group 1 stayed in the chapel and carried out a workshop whilst the second group (my group) went for a tour of the Alton Towers ruins. We explored, with a team member and spiritual medium, the kitchens, gallery, banqueting hall and conservatory.

A few names of people (or energies, as the medium explained that the presence of an energy isn't always the presence of a human or a ghost) were picked up. These contained the names of Sarah, John, Joseph and a few more.

In the banqueting hall, the smells of farming and horses were picked up by myself and a number of others. In the conservatory, the presence of a dog was picked up whilst also the presence of children being sensed. One child was said to have died through some form of water accident, drowning or falling into a frozen pond.

Once we had finished in the conservatory, we made our way back to the chapel where we then took part in the workshop. We were told to relax and to do this, we were put under some kind of trance where we followed this ball of light as it followed through our bodies. Once we were relaxed, we carried out some activities. These included dousing (2 forks that spiritual energies show you a yes or a no answer to the questions you ask it) and calling out to the spirits.

Lots of people picked up energies or presences of a male up on the balcony in the Alton Towers Chapel whilst towards the other end, a presence of a female was picked up on. Once we had picked up these energies, we then sat in a circle around a table, holding hands with the people next to us. The leader of the workshop called out to the energies to show their presence.

In this, a green light sensor was used where if it senses something, the lights will change into an orange and red colour. The closer it got, the redder the lights went. This happened on a number of occasions. However the main activity in the chapel contained of the spirits turning on and of a torch on a number of occasions.

The sounds of singing and whistling were also heard in the chapel. After our workshop in the very active chapel, both groups were reunited and then split into 5 different smaller groups of about 8-12 people. We then had 5 different activities with different team members that were located in the chapel, the gallery, the kitchen, the banqueting hall and the conservatory. Our groups first activity was located in the gallery where we placed our index finger on this love heart shaped Planchette (piece of wood on wheels) that was put on a table.

A number of questions were asked to make this piece of equipment move. We split it between all males and then all females placing their hands onto it. The answers were coming through when only the females placed their fingers onto it. The answers we got contained of someone who was a murderer and he enjoyed torturing females.

This activity was short-lived as it took a long while before we got some activity and soon it was time to move onto the next activity. The next activity was located in the conservatory where we were to carry out some table tipping exercises.

Unfortunately, we never got any activity in this area however some other groups said they got some activity in this area of random noises coming from the area towards Hex- The Legend of the Towers. The third activity was located back in the chapel where we carried out some Ouija Board sessions.

We asked the spirits to come forward and talk to us. The glass took us to “HI" and then we asked if it would show us who they wished to contact. The glass went to a few around the table but no real answers were coming from it. The team member asked the glass if they could read and write and the glass went to no. She said then to try doing a similar activity to the 1st activity where we placed our hands on a Planchette and asked questions.

This got a lot of activity with us all having our hands twisted around each other and this piece of equipment moved in an anticlockwise direction. We had to ask the spirits to untangle us. The senses of names such as Jack and Francis were coming into a few people's heads. Unfortunately there seemed to be no connection to these names but the presence of some ones brother was called Jack came about.

After this activity, we had an hours break at 1.30-2.30am. During this we were able to help ourselves to refreshments and nip to the toilets. We also had a group photo taken too. We were able to take a stroll around the dark and sinister towers ruins alone.

Some went to the places where activities were located whilst some went to the service tunnel between the towers ruins and X Sector. A number of loud screams were heard whilst people were running out of the towers.

I must admit, the towers were a very scary place to walk on your own. I was walking from the fountain square toilets towards Hex and was the only person in that area and the sense of either being followed or at least watched was in the atmosphere.

I made sure I wasn't alone for long and made my way back to the chapel where we met with our groups at 2.30am. This was when the 4th activity was to take place.

We were taken to the kitchens which is said to be a heavily active part of the towers. We had torches located in the 4 corners of the room and asked the spirits to turn one of them on. Unfortunately there was no activity with the torches. The team member asked us to form a circle around another green light sensor and asked for some of us to call out and ask the spirits to show their presence.

We got a number of flickers on the lights turning from green to orange and almost red. People said they felt breaths of air being breathed near them whilst others saw shadows around the room. I felt a number of cold breaths on my left hand and saw some kind of black shadow in the middle of the circle which a number of others said they saw but when the torch came back on, nothing was there.

Then a number of people carried out some more glass moving activities and asked the spirits to take the energy from the living and connect to us. The glass moved a few times but nothing really came through the glass.

We then made our way to the banqueting hall to carry out the final activity. This was the room where the smells of farming were smelt. The team member took 2 people and placed them in 2 corners of the room near the doorway whilst the rest of us stayed down the other end. A number of energies were being created around these people in the corners and people said they sensed something in the doorway. Someone else went to stand in the doorway and we placed a green light sensor down there too. Towards the end, the lights flashed orange a few times but it was said that the activity had calmed down as we entered the early hours of the morning.

We then made our way back to the chapel where we could take a quick toilet break and get some final refreshments. We had a quick talk with the paranormal team and were then asked what we had experienced and if we enjoyed the event etc. We were told that we had made it all the way from 9pm till 4am. When we started the temperature was at -1 and when we had finished it was -12.

We made our ways back towards the golf challenge where everybody's cars were frozen over and the pathways in front of the towers ruins were extremely frosty. We warmed the car up and then made our way back down the road to the side of Sonic Spinball and back onto the main road. We arrived back home at promptly 6am on 12th Jan 2014.

Conclusion, overall the event was a real success. I enjoyed it very much so and was a great way to experience a theme park in a way which I have never before. I was pleased with the activity we got and overall was highly enjoyable by all.

All the staff were friendly and everybody got on well with each other.

The event team were called Haunted Happenings.

This was a fantastic way to start of the 2014 theme park season too.

B :)
Last edited by Ladyofthelake on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of external link
lf2001

It interesting to read everyones experiences. I myself have never experienced any ghostly happenings at the park yet, but I will keep a good look out on future visits!