The Merlin Annual Pass

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Islander

[quote=""Vik""]It is good to see Merlin have created an Official facebook page, and are also taking time out to answer queries that are being posted.[/quote]
Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but I would be surprised if, a few months down the line, they're still being so attentive to questions...
chr1s

[quote=""Jayne""]I feel that the Premium Pass will do better at Thorpe and Chessington, where people are more likely to use the London attractions more frequently.

Also, the sales will pick up in (and the lead up to) August when people are visiting the London attractions.

For example: A guest goes to Madame Tussauds in August, and sees the advert for the annual pass. They find out they could go on the London Eye, London Sea Life and the Dungeons on the same day (or tomorrow, or whenever in August) for "free" if they buy the Premium pass. The price of doing all four attractions without any sort of annual pass, bogof or advance purchase offer would be £83.42. The guest may think that the extra £116.58 is worth it so they can go to Thorpe and Chessington and Brighton Sea Life...etc too (or even just reride the London Eye another 5 or 6 times!).

This is where the cross selling of the Premium Pass will work at its best.[/quote]

Yea good point, but outside of August does the Premium Pass really hold an advantage over the normal Merlin Annual Pass?
Pepsi is better than Coke!!
Vik

[quote=""chr1s""]

Yea good point, but outside of August does the Premium Pass really hold an advantage over the normal Merlin Annual Pass?[/quote]

It doesn't appear so, no. As Standard Pass holders can gain entry to Thorpe Park Fright Nights by paying £5, that is one benefit of the Premium Pass that has been diluted somewhat, and all the other perks such as 20% off in attraction shops are all included on the Standard Pass.

Certainly, if you are an existing AP Holder, at renewal time you have to ask yourself if it is really worth an extra £100. My own personal opinion is no it isn't. Though it appears that these Premium Passes are more than likely be marketed in a view to getting new customers to purchase them, rather than tempting existing customers to upgrade.

Also, for anyone who's pass isn't due to run out until later on the year, and wish to take advantage of the £75 offer, then the following reply has been posted on their facebook page in reply to such a question being asked:-
Simply purchase a gift voucher and when your pass is due for renewal you can redeem the voucher. Gift vouchers are valid for 10 months from purchase. But make sure you buy by Friday as the sale will not be extended beyond then.

However, if you are part of a family of 3, 4 or 5, don't forget that the renewal price is already £75 per person so you may wish to wait if you fall into this catagory.

Hope this helps, but if not feel free to speak to our team on 08444 77 44 44 (9am to 5pm daily).

Have a great evening.

Speak again soon!
As mine runs out next month, I just purchased the Pass, rather than the voucher, and will colect on Feb 1/2 term opening day. :D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

AstroDan

Alton passes.

2008 :£66
2009: £75
2010: £89

OUCH!

Tell you what though - I love the £10 drinks deal all season. Shame that's not on Standard, but for £100 extra I think I will leave it!
Mankey

Question! I purchased mine last week. Does that mean I have to collect it the next time I'm on park? My AP runs out in March. Should I just do it in March at the March meet? Or do it in Feb? Because if there's a date to collect it by, I don't want to lose £75
Back from hibernation!
Jayne

Mankey, all annual pass vouchers have a life-span of 10 months, so you can redeem yours in the first week of October if you so wished! In your circumstances, I would leave it until the March meet to redeem your new pass, so that you get the maximum use.
Mankey

Aaah right cool. I read that but I didn't think it applied. I might wait until the may meet down south actually... as my AP expires in march AFTER the march meet.
Back from hibernation!
NickT04

Just a heads up, I know Vik answered my question the other week about me wondering whether I could get into the park on the 14th Feb, the same day my pass expires.

Acording to the FAQ, your pass actually expires the day before stated on your pass. I did e-mail AT about this, their response was merely to suggest buying the MAP at £75, thanks for clearing that up Alton! :x

£89 is a steep raise though, I was gonna renew online, but there does seem to be a way of doing this!
Dean

Well if your quick you can buy a Merlin Pass for £75, which will be the same price as your Alton Towers renewal price.

If you still just want to only buy a AT only pass, then I think you can go to one of the turnstyles with your current pass, and they will direct you to the Annual Pass office.

Or there's paying for the pass outside at a ticket booth, then they give you a ticket to enter, which is then exchanged for the pass.
MattH

i checked the cost saving thing on the actual merlin pass site and i told me i had to go to AT 5 times to make it worth while :O

i dont think i would be able to get there 5 times in one year XD
Stern John

Hello Guys!
Just seen the pass available for £75 online, what a bargain!
I'm planning on doing a few parks this year so it's definately worth it!
It's a real shame that Port Aventura is no longer on the pass, as I was planning on going there for a week in September, really made it superb value as a 3 day pass is 76 Euros anyway.
Does anyone know if there is usually any BOGOFfers available at the start of the season?
I'm off to Towers on 23rd March and this may affect my decision to buy an AP.
Jigsaw

I really dont think this Standard/ Premium idea has been thought through enough. It seems as though they dont want people to buy it! The benefits do not make it seem value for money when compared to the standard annual pass.

At £200 I would have preferred to have seen:
Access to ALL Merlin attractions, worldwide
Free access to all charging attractions (e.g Warwick Castle Dungeon)
One free fastrack for one ride at any attraction per visit.

in addition to the current benefits.

Though to be honest, I think this season is the start of increased restrictions on the "Standard Annual Pass", next year there will be more, which may possibly push more people into buying the Premium pass.
Mike

[quote=""Jigsaw""]Though to be honest, I think this season is the start of increased restrictions on the "Standard Annual Pass", next year there will be more, which may possibly push more people into buying the Premium pass.[/quote]

That's my thinking too - once everyone with the Standard pass has chosen it (i.e. a year from when they started selling the two tiers) I think they'll have a go at removing more benefits, saying you couldve chosen the better pass...

Thanks to Ian for the sig!
Stern John

I bought a standard Annual Pass for £75, can't really turn it down at those prices!
I also emailed Merlin asking if there were any plans to introduce some of the other parks in Europe.
Here is the reply;
"Unfortunately, we have no plans to re-introduce the former non-Merlin attractions back onto the Merlin Annual Pass – we’re sorry if this causes any disappointment. We are however reviewing our benefits package and hope to be able to offer discounts at certain international Merlin attractions soon. "
I imagine if the do ever include their other European attractions it will be on the Premium Pass
FallenAbyss

[quote=""damos1""]so it looks like yet again, we have been screwed! another t&cs been added mid term, apparently this year there is now 2 annual pass options standard and premium as expected the premium has no restrictions, although the standard has got another added! we cannot use a standard pass to gain entry during thorpe fright nights! not even on quieter days! and looking we cannot upgrade to get the premium pass and its full price is £200 the only price!

this is the final straw to not renew our passes! at least if adding this term they should of included annual pass standard accepted on quiet days as of course this is a new t&c brought into force after many passes have already been sold/renewed, and maybe they should now honour a free upgrade to those who have already bought there pass/renewed it as they was not allowed this option[/quote]

This stipulation is one we've been aware of for a little while now, however as far as i'm aware you'll be able to get entry to fright nights for a fiver as a standard pass holder (Premium pass gets it free) ...
Dormiens-Dave

Indeed we have been aware of the new ultimate pass for a long time, Dean posted it back in november i think.

As far as i can see the standard pass has no more restriction on it than it did last year, the ultimate pass just gives you no restrictions and the european attractions as well.

So they really havn't screwed anyone over.
richdirk123

Just to let you know, you now get 25% off of breakdown cover from RAC when you buy a Merlin Annual Pass.
Big Dave

yes a few extra perks have been added:

Passholder Perks include:

• 12 months entry to the UK's top attractions

• 20% off eating and shopping at the attractions

• Unlimited drinks refills throughout 2010 for just £10

• Discounted overnight stays at Alton Towers Resort, Chessington Holiday Inn and with LEGOLAND Holidays

• Regular eNewsletters

• Monthly competitions

• Invitations to exclusive passholder-only events

• Exclusive offers from great 3rd party partners, such as Hard Rock Café, LA Fitness, RAC and more.
Islander

[quote=""Big Dave""]• Unlimited drinks refills throughout 2010 for just £10[/quote]
Ooo, I thought that was for Premium pass holders only... Do we know whether it's per park (i.e. £10 to Thorpe, £10 to Alton, £10 to Chessie etc.), or top up anywhere?
Anonymous

Just to confirm for long term MAP holders.

When i go up this saturday what do i need to bring, just the card i paid with and my passport... or ?

Thanks in advance..