Scarefest 2008

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Mattia

Yeah that's Phil alright ^

Ok, so a few more hours left to go and i must say this, Alton's scarefest 2008 has been it's strongest and weakest Scarefest event.

So, let's start with the Strong Points:

Duel:LIVE!
- Wow, this is such a fantastic idea, was great for the house to change back to a near enough image of it's old self; the actors, the staff costume changes, change of music, lighting and turned off blasters and LEDs really showed how amazing duel can be. The idea here by the ents team was so fantastic! :D :clap: It's got potential, but next year work on that a bit more.

The Field - Bigger by far this year! Slightly different story, good to see a proper queue with red lighting etc and more of a technical influence this time (more soundeffects etc), nice new and fresh scenes and scares and also a nice twist too.

The Boiler - a fantastic concept and one that's really got the potential to become a seriously scary maze. A worthy replacement of Room 13 I feel. The different routes, the different levels, the scenery and the pre-show etc all show how much thought has gone into this maze and tbh it can only get better - and with full actors inside people have really been desperately wanting to escape from it!

ToTT - Ok. The cage, what a lovely idea to do and go by - thsi really caught people by surprise and was a nice addition and fulfilled their aim of people literally running for the exit. The flicking by the chef and the intimidation of this maze had very good intentions. The master and his little banquet went out with a bang.

Trick or Treat Doors, Haunted Hollow, Scarefest Music/Song and themeing - Again a huge improvement this year on all. The doors had been re-located causing there to be more life around there during the evening and better popularity too. Haunted Hollow, the début of new characters was fantastic (lady of the lake! <3) a more family approach with the more mystical/magical characters, but this worked well. Scarefest Music was great choices throughout and great to hear that the HH soundtrack along with other favourites returned and the scarefest song, loved it! Great for the kids and to get you into the mood for the event. Themeing, this has to definitely be an improvement compared to last year. The "Giant Pumpkin" photo spots where a nice idea along with the huge vines and pumpkins on the main entrance; towers street; alton towers hotel and splash landings were welcomed new additions and i'm sure it'll be even better next year.

But, now onto the weak points:

Duel:LIVE! - Ok, the main thing here was the actor rotas, so people got none or one/two actors and other's got as many as 6/7! The scares can be seen from the other cars and sometimes technology got in the way sometimes with things making noises that shouldn't be etc.

The Field - Bigger yes! But better? Hmm, no - there were huge blank sections - not enough zombies in the corn and some very empty scenes. Throughput this caused HUGE problems even though the time slots are meant to abolish this issue. Some of the scenes didn't really grasp people's attention and sometimes there were not enough actors in the maze to actually intimidate people. It became a slight joke at points according to some guests :S

The Boiler House - New, fresh....but for some strange reason alton decided to cut the pre-show on certain days? WHY? This is such an awful move! Never ever remove something that is designed to reveal/strengthen/contribute to the scares and story. Again, actors (as with all live attractions) was a real issue with some guests walking out with a look of "is that it" on their faces? Oh dear...:( And also, confusion on the theme with the furnace being hundreds of years old some where a bit puzzled when confronted with a modern maze etc, i feel that more clarity on the background of the era etc would be good next year.

ToTT - the biggest problem of this year's scarefest. Throughput, actors, fastrack, the size - just about all of it was a problem. The queue - it was awful this year and the fastrack is not helping at all! No access to food or drink is awful alton...c'mon. The actors - there simply isn't enough of them! There needs to be more and they need to be designed better with ALL sections of the group in mind (yes love, that does mean the middle too!). And please alton DO NOT let staff get into an overboard character whilst in the normal alton uniform, this can't be done it doesn't work with the clash of two different themes being merged into one (Theme 1: the character the staff member is trying to act and theme 2 is the alton uniform) - the mix of these two just causes confusion amongst guests. The music and general atmosphere wasn't bad this year at all and the attention to detail and all inside is great. The size of the maze however, isn't. Why cut an attraction just for throughput? Alton, you KNEW fastrack organisation was the sole reason for this (and scripting last year too) but then why cut the maze? Just get rid of the fastrack queue and work on those scripts. Condense them and realise that a story can be told via a script in a very short amount of time if you construct them well. You need to start off with a strong frame and then build it up - the last two years have had a weak frame holding a hell of a lot of script inside and causing the maze to seriously slow down - and fastrack isn't helping. Don't use scripts as your only excuse for the slow throughput because it was mainly fastrack. You managed it in 03 to get that script and scares done with a quick queue and you did - and it worked. That's the sole thing to work on next year and especially if a new scenario for ToTT is on the cards. Work on getting rid of fastrack (or better organisation) and work on condensing those scripts and getting them to be giving vital info that contributes to the story but that doesn't drag on! And those scares - the cage was a start - just give a little more punch next time.

So, there we have it (and apologies for me rambling on but some know how much i love acting etc and it had to be said). I can assure everyone that this year's Scarefest has really and truly been a learning curve for the team meaning they are definitely improving on lots for next year. All the complaints and constructive criticism has not fallen on deaf ears either, they will really work with all that has been said to make sure Alton's Halloween Event for 2009 will be the best yet. :D
NF2

Just got back from Scarefest this weekend, I had a great time but the park was absolutely heaving and to make matters worse rita was down all week and only started testing about 3:00 today, whether it actually opened or not I have no idea! Got on most Halloween stuff besides the Boiler House as it sold out and the kids stuff, was really impressed with how the park was on a whole for halloween!

Duel: live - I got straight onto this when it opened at three, queueing in the old graveyard was brilliant with the grave digger running around generally making fun of peopleand intimidating them, and the Butler on the entrace was also really good, made quite a few of our group feel uncomfortable :o The ride itself was good, I noticed about 5 or 6 actors inside, the best scare being a girl who was hiding behind the Pillar Demon and came right up close to me and sqeeled! The music was good aswell, quite Tim Burton esque :D i went through haunted Hollow live, but nothing actually happened :(

Terror of The Towers - I also went to this for opening on Saturday as the night before it was 130 minutes :shock: I was about 3rd or 4th in our group and got quite a good few scares, mostly in the maze bits themselves. The Chef was brilliant and the Masters wife did a good job at taking the piss of some chavs in our group, however my main criticism was that the elustrious Master didn't show himself at all, and also the back story about his deformed child confused me as it didn't seem relevant to the Bloodfeast Banquet theme.

Field of 1000 screams - After hearing reports that it gets scarier after 9:00, we bought tickets for 10:00 however it was more 10:30 by the time we actually got in :roll: It was very cold and started to rain whilst we were queueing, so I presume some of the lesser actors must have gone away because of the cold. It was fun and the acting was god, but there were so many dead spots where something could have jumped out it seemed a bit pointless. Still, the end sequence was fantastic and had everybody running for the door! One small question, was the girl at the fence, sammy, in anything last year? I seem to recognise her somehow.

Park overall - Myself and the mates I was with overall felt the park had a great atmosphere, and to me I actually felt the place was magical once again! Stepping off the Monorail to hear the Haunted House escape music was like a sterp back in time (ok, pre 2005!) and the overall use of lighting made the place look great! The generators were frustrating, however a place the size of Alton can't use all proper coloured lighting!

So yeah, overall really impressed, improving capacity issues in the mazes and a few more decorations on park could make 2009 an even better Scarefest than this years, I guess Alton always has room to improve!
Vik

As far as the mazes go, having done Terror of The Towers 4 times, and the Bluer house, field of 1000 screams 3 times a piece, I favourite overall is Terror of the Towers.

On the first go I had, I found it a bit, well average, but second go was much better. Of course we were the last public group last night, where it was just full on abuse, which probably swayed it slightly for me. But I feel, overall, the plot, the surroundings, theming, and the acting had the edge compared to the other mazes.

The boiler house was also very good. Very claustrophobic, and difficult to know where your going, with scares popping up at unexpected moments.

The Field, whilst OK, was the poorest of the 3 mazes this year. Though part of the experience is the expectation of something popping up and scaring you when walking through the corn, which keeps you on edge slightly, these parts felt just too long, and took away that expectation a bit. It also made it rather obvious that there were not really that many actors in there.

Those that were, were great, and all the scenes were well acted out. The inclusion of The Slaughter house was a nice addition. And while not as intense as last year, the ending in the barn was still very good. No doubt there were many people who would of got freaked out by it.

Shame there were no Scarerooms this year, would of been good to expand on last years ones.

This years Scarefest is a big improvement on last years. Lot more theming around, though mainly in towers street, which leaves the rest of the park looking a bit bare. Would of been good if some of the hosts, especially those doing the introductions to TOTT and boiler house, could of been in costume.

Hopefully next years will be better again. Also hoping to do Europa Parks horror nights next year, after hearing all about it yesterday, so will hopefully have a strong experience in which to compare it to.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Anonymous

:clap: :clap: Loved it loved it LOVED IT!!!! I couldn't wait to go after reading the reviews of the previous events and looking at the build up on the site. Yes it was mobbed, yes it was cold but by god was it the best day i have ever had. I went on saturday (1st) and the whole theming and buzz of the place was brilliant, yes there is room for improvement (which i'll come back to) but by the looks of it the park and the powers that be have taken on the feedback and used it constructively. The fact that you can ride in the dark, the longer opening time and as i have said the whole buzz makes it the best day out you can get and was well worth the money. As i said this was my first (and certainly not last ) visit to scarefest and i might be blinded by this fact as it is interesting to read other posts on here, some of which i would agree with. There could have been more characters in haunted hollow, duel live, the mazes, walking about etc and yes it was disappointing especially with the quality of the acting talent that the park uses. However as i said the quality was so good that the ones you did encounter made up for it. Other wee moan is the fact we prebooked a time for Field of 100 screams yet when we turned up, in plenty of time!, we were met with a long queue and frustratingly people with a time of an hour later being allowed to enter the maze regardless!!! :?: Both the boiler house and the field were scary/funny where as the TOTT was actually bum clenching!!!! Again down to the excellent job of the actors. Queuing for the TOTT was also bum clenching as it was sooooooo long and soooooo cold which again needs to be addressed by the powers that be. Overall i would give it a 9.9998 out of 10. Can't wait till next year. P.s bye bye corkscrew :D
Squiggles

[quote=""AstroDan""]Is it just me, or have the Hallowe'en characters (Franklin, Phil, Skelvin, Patch) hardly been out AT ALL this year? I have been to Scarefest on 5 separate occasions (granted, not all for full days), and not ONCE have I seen a character on Towers Street this year. I think I saw one in the hotel at a breakfast, but what about the park?!?

:?[/quote]

Has anyone seen Franklin at all this year? He appears on the map a lot less then all the others and he appeared to have been removed from the hearse. Perhaps he asked for a pay rise?
Edwardo..... move me!
Stu

Well there are now teddies of Franklin, so i doubt it.
Maybe there short staff, and/or it's harder to get in the costume of Franklin so they don't bother and use the others? Thats what Haven used to do with their dres ups. But they now have teddies of him so i can't see him going.

(They also have Teddies of Snorlix!!!)
X

When I went for Scarefest Franklin was on Towers Street just before the park closed
AstroDan

Overall, I feel this was a much improved event in terms of operations and professionalism. Whilst the park was not ready for the start of the event, which demonstrates some failings, they did have it all ready for half term and the left hand side of the park was actually remarkably well lit.

Hopefully for 2009 they can get some good lighting for the right hand side of the park.

:D
Kaycee

Squiggs, I have seen Franklin a couple of times, but it's Phil who I've seen the most of! :D

Loved this event, even if it didn't feel much bigger than last year's, as we lost Fright Lights, but gained some extra theming and some lush new lighting. Lost Room13, but gained Boiler House. Lost ScareRooms and 'gained' Trick or Treat rooms.

The only real criticism I have is the bloody music playlist in the Hotels! On some ridiculously short loop, with the same songs being repeated over and over again! I get it, you feel like somebody's watching you, arrgh argh! :lol: I dunno how the staff coped with that, working in there every day. We were tearing our hair out after one evening!

TOTT ended up being my favourite maze, after being majorly disappointed with my first go on it shortly after it first opened. Boiler House was great the first go, especially as I'd been at the front and genuinely terrified towards the end - but personally I found it lacked rerideability, and lacking in scares in the first 3/4 of it - and despite it being my favourite maze after my first go, I'm now thinking I actually preferred Room13 in last year's form! :(

I've always got a soft spot for Field and think the actors are hugely talented (well they are across the resort), but I found it really lacked in scares this year. :( The girl Sammy in the first scene absolutely stole the maze, she was brilliant. I think I preferred the final scene from 2007.

Duel: Live was brilliant, and like Crofty mentioned, when it opened at 3pm on the final day of the event, we were queued outside the front of the House, and Paulson came out, and stared creepily at everyone, interacted silently with individuals and was generally enthralling - really brilliant, I hope he's back next year along with the treat that is a de-Duel'd Duel!!

Lighting across the park definitely improved from last year and I hope next year they can continue adding to what they've got, and get the right hand side of the park all lit up too.

Towers Street looked BEAUTIFUL at night, wish my camera would take night pictures properly :( (it probably does, but I'm just crap with cameras). Europa-Park's main street was stunning, but there was something quite cluttered about it, whereas Towers Street looked more sleek and sophisticated in my opinion.

Bring on Scarefest '09, I can see this event getting better and better as the years go on, it absolutely walked over Thorpe's Fright Nights this year. :D