Battle Galleons (discussion up to Dec 07 only)

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Squiggles

Beat me to it Liam!! :lol:

I somehow don't think we'll be seeing anything quite on that scale at the Towers, mainly due to location.
Edwardo..... move me!
And.

[quote=""Gashead""]LMFAOOOOOOOOOOO :lol: Muppets[/quote]

We did actually know that - we were just experimenting to see how many people would pick up on it. :p
cubwolf

Will they be lining the lake then?
Flamingo lands water is all filtered in the same way that Tidal Wave is.
i would think it needs to be if you are getting mouthfuls of the stuff
Kaycee

[quote=""AJ""][quote=""Gashead""]LMFAOOOOOOOOOOO :lol: Muppets[/quote]

We did actually know that - we were just experimenting to see how many people would pick up on it. :p[/quote]

Lol likely story. :P Cool experiment.

We can hope that AT's will be as well-themed as Walibi's appears to be. So funny how there's always a massive influx of the same rides appearing a la Eurofighters! :)
spinwhizzer

Although I am not wetting myself with excitement about Battle Galleons, I love the idea of it. It will be perfect for that area, and it is sure to breath some new life into it.

I love thrill rides, but I also love the idea of battling against my mates on another boat, it could be great fun. And I think the level of interaction with the ride will create a great atmosphere.

I'm seeing a few pics of plans in some people's sigs, are these official plans?
Gashead

[quote=""Liam""][quote=""Wildchild""]Muggins is that the plan for he splash battle. If so it looks to be awsome[/quote]
:P I should hope not! Nor AJ's sig, because they are the plans for the Splash Battle in Walibi World!
Click Here[/quote]

Click the link.
Javs

I was thinking it would be quite good if at one point in the ride that it simulated you being hit by enemy fire and the boat begin to sink. The track would just have an incline and the splash cart would begin to get lower into the water. There could be holes in the cart that would normally be above the water surface that would now be submerged and let water in. You can imagine the screams! Then at the last minute the boat would climb out of the water and it drain itself before returning to the station.
Matt

might they move blade to the area?
and make it a bit more "piratey"?

matt
xxx
Hark

It's going to be interesting to see how Merlin theme this attraction - Does anyone know the font used in the posters?
cubwolf

That one looks better as the track seems to be below the water line.
Flamingo lands seemed to be too high out of the water
Craig

My views on this are a bit late thanks to work getting in the way but never mind here goes!

The Name
Well like a lot of TTF'ers I received the picture on my trusty phone at work. I must admit I wasn't keen on the name at first, it's grown on me slightly since though. However, I still think they could've done better, it seems a bit too generic.

The proposed theme
I've talked about the pirate theme before, and I pretty much echo what others have said, in that this seems to be an effort to "jump on the bandwagon" as it were rather than think of something unique, with a substantial background story and theme to it.

Interestingly, Legoland California already have a pirate themed Splash Battle as shown here. This is where the worry comes in for me. Obviously with a park such as legoland, the themeing is meant to be very cartoonish and well, lego looking. I really really hope they don't go down this road with Alton's Splash Battle. Themeing on all of the Splash Battles I've seen, although impressive, does have a very "plastic" look about it. I hope they use some intiative and give both the galleons and the surrounding theming a bit more of an authentic look about them.

The ride itself
Hmm, I absolutely love the idea, the ride will be a great showpiece. But, the location and whether it's the right attraction for a park the size of Alton's is another issue. I still don't think it's right for such a central location. The lake area has some amazing views, only spoilt by Spinball, which is also a ride I feel was sited badly in the first place. I guess time will tell (if planning is granted of course!) and we'll how it looks when its finished now.

Capacity I think is a major issue with Splash Battles. The current standard Splash Battles only hit around 650 per hour, not enough for an attraction in such a prominent position. Maybe a larger version which I understand Alton are going for will make capacity better but there's still another problem...

Reliability - I've only been on one Splash Battle and that's the one opened this year at Flamingoland. On entering the "submarines", the first impression I got was that of cheapness. I really don't think that they will stay looking new for very long. The seatbelts are of poor quality, and the lapbars aren't the best in the world either. I can see the chasis becoming damaged quite quickly due to the continuous use they'll get in main season.

There's a lot of effects used too such as water cannons etc. Although things have improved slightly this season, Alton's maintenance of effects has not been fantastic. The guns themselves both on and off ride are of course going to take a massive battering too, I fear one of two of the offride ones and possibly those on the boats may break after a few months use too. Again, with Alton's record they may be out of order for a while before repair, but I really hope to be proved wrong!

Cubwolf - The track is raised exactly the same as Flamingo's at Walibi World too. As far as I know, there's no submerged track Splash Battles around yet although I believe there may be one in development.
spudcooper

The ride its self looks very nice and will be a good ride for everyone if well themed otherwise it will be abit poor. Does any one know if the pods/carts can move side to side on the track or spin on its axis as that would be cool. you could spin every time your boats been hit or something. i think that they should paint the bottom of the lake yellow to resemble sand and get rid of that murky brown water and gets some clean water in. Where does the water for the canons come from? a store tank on board or from the lake? I am worried that no other rides has been mentioned on the poster not even about the new area. This can only mean the other new flat ride as going to be quite small scale (and not blade).
Joel

I wouldnt have thought a submerged track were possible given the electric pickups for the ride cars run on said track too?

Unless they somehow managed to develop a underwater electric pickup track that wouldnt short itself somehow?

I guess the current pickups are somehow splash proof anyway.

Spudcooper:

The water on the Flamingoland splash battle comes from a water pickup on the bottom of the ride car - straight from the "lake" - it looks like a piece of metal box tubing sticking down into the water, and you pump it by hand into your gun and fire. Its actually quite tiring :P
spudcooper

Thats actually really a good idea how you don't just shoot the canon but reload it as well. nice. be interesting how AT does this as that lake water isn't clean enough to be used for that i would think.

Do you really think this ride will get the familys in? surely this is a bad year to try as DM is opening its thomas the tank engine land next year as well and that is also for kids/familys. who will win? (not the thrill seekers thats for sure)
FallenAbyss

Mack do something simular .... maybe Alton are thinking of using something like this:

http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/w ... t-Ride.php

think i'd prefer a standard splash battle but at least with these you dont get that ugly track showing above the water .....

Plus I'd prefer the Galleons to look like galleons rather than round things .... but then maybe something could be developed from this ....
Richie

I recon we will get the trackless version as not only is it trackless (hence being more of a "boat ride") but it also has a much larger throughput. The website below mentions the new trackless versions.

http://www.parkworld-online.com/news/fu ... ttle_.html
cheadleperson

This ride will be aimed at Chavs. A new area to avoid :evil:

Coaster enthusiasts will go to thorpe in the future rather that AT.
FallenAbyss

Great find Richie .... that sounds much more like it and a lot less tacky ... I like the sound of being able to program the course of the boats, sounds like it could make reriding fun if the course is varied each time ... also sounds like the boats could be a lot better along with the increased throughput which would be a major advantage for a park of Alton's size :)
Sir John Talbot

[quote=""cheadleperson""]This ride will be aimed at Chavs. A new area to avoid :evil:

Coaster enthusiasts will go to thorpe in the future rather that AT.[/quote]

Pardon :|

This area will be aimed at families.

And the addition of one ride for an audience other than thrill seekers does not make the presence of Nemesis, Air, Oblivion, Ripsaw, Rita, etc disappear.
cheadleperson

[quote=""Sir John Talbot""][quote=""cheadleperson""]This ride will be aimed at Chavs. A new area to avoid :evil:

Coaster enthusiasts will go to thorpe in the future rather that AT.[/quote]

Pardon :|

This area will be aimed at families.

And the addition of one ride for an audience other than thrill seekers does not make the presence of Nemesis, Air, Oblivion, Ripsaw, Rita, etc disappear.[/quote]

LOL! Familes will not go on rides where teenagers will soak their kids for fun.

We shall wait and see!