New for 2008: Mutiny Bay

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
NickReid

Lol u well got me, i was well annoyed bout it, haha gd one though
kumbastealth

Just seen something about this on the rccgb messageboard, this is the link the plans

http://www.screamscape.com/html/alton_towers_2008_0.htm
Coasternut

That happens to be a map of San Francisco, somehow i don't think those are the plans for Project Penzance.... :P
kumbastealth

[quote=""Coasternut""]That happens to be a map of San Francisco, somehow i don't think those are the plans for Project Penzance.... :P[/quote]
Never noticed that but if you scroll down on this link it goes into a little more detail

http://www.screamscape.com/html/alton_towers.htm
Thomas

Is it San Francisco? I cant really make it out. :?

Still looks, at least a little real, with the logo missing the Tussuad's.

Also - anyone else getting this, when you click latest post on this topic its comes up 'No posts exist for this topic' also when you click page 6 you get this.
Coasternut

It definately is. I was fortunate enough to be there a few weeks ago, even the districts and road numbers are marked. The only thing remotely pirate related is 'treasure island' which is an actual island underneath the Bay Bridge which can be seen on the top right of the map. Very strange....
Wes

[quote=""Thomas""]Also - anyone else getting this, when you click latest post on this topic its comes up 'No posts exist for this topic' also when you click page 6 you get this.[/quote]

Read Here.

As for those 'plans', it was meerly a mock up image made by TTF's *Adam!
Ash

OK in other news....

Was leaving the park today and noticed a Kavanagh Construction van and flat bed lorry in Forbidden Valley? Was on heart attack hill (The road next to nemmie entrance)

Ripsaw and Air were down today, but surely technicians would handle that? Wonder what the construction team were doing there and then?
Wildchild

K CONSTRUCTIONS they fit rooms so maybe for either hotels or resturants or something. See no need to worry towers have a new ride up their sleeve put my house on it.
Blackhole tent and retheme 2008 I hope

BEWARE Staffordshire uni rugby union lads doing it large at Alton towers on the 14th
Ash

K Construction? In Forbidden Valley? Hotels...i dont think sooo
Wildchild

http://www.kavanaghcc.com/
i DID ALSO SAY OR rESTURANTS

BEWARE Staffordshire uni rugby union lads doing it large at Alton towers on the 14th
Ash

There from California?

Thats not Kavanagh Construction that Alton Towers use, there a local company, ive seen the vans parked up outside some houses in Cheadle.

Wondered if anyone had any information on what was going on there tonight etc....?
bushboy2

I saw the same lorry and vans parked at the top of the hill too. there were a few guys standing around inside the nemesis queue next to the van aswell. Maybe they are just resurfacing the queue in that area, although I would have though Alton Towers would do this themselves?
Squiggles

Isn't that the same sort of area as where the pumphouses for the Nemesis waterfalls are?
Edwardo..... move me!
Ash

There isnt really a pump house so to speak, they have controls in the shuttered area underneath Nemesis, and the pumps themselves are accessed by a hatch just as you go over the bridge by the loop, you have to go down to the bottom of the loop.

And from what i saw today the pumps were working fine?!
towersdude

Well whatever they were doing there i don't think it would have anything to do with a Merrie England refurb.
Big Dave

JJ Cavanagh construction are based in Newcastle-under-Lyme and have worked with Alton Towers for many years. They are a Building, civil engineering & public works contractors.
Liam

Having been to a whole host of European parks now, AT seems extremely inexperienced at theming. Even the small parks over here have amazing sets and surroundings.

If this is going to be a Pirate theme then is has to be really dark. Even going as far as not having pirate animatronics, jolly rodgers etc. - that's all tat. The best pirate themes work with ghostly story lines, with real research into the locations and how they would have been at the time.

Efteling's new water coaster is a superb example of how to carry out a Piratish theme well. It's all mist, and huge boats, dramatic music and lighting. No yo-ho-ho crap.

Really, the best theme would be one that AT makes up themseleves, not a generic off the shelf theme, more like the Hex theme which is totally unique.
Wildchild

wE HAVE THE HAUNTED HOLLOW TO ME THAT IS A GOOD STEP TOWARDS THE IDEA.
I think you have to make it very cartoony or serious but I recon it will be more cartoony.
Would it be possible on flume if say a retheme to include more tunnel for theming.

haydn!

Nah I think to an extent Liam is right. This theme needs to be taken seriously. Take a look at Pirates of the Caribbean movies, they're family films with a comedy edge but visually they're very detailed and dark.

They need to play on the mystical, and darkness of the theme to be unique. Pirates is a popular theme in many parks, but most have chosen the comedy, "yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" route which is fine, but over done and a tad cliche.

We need, and Alton deserves something with a bit more substance.