New for 2008: Mutiny Bay

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
oldgitBEN

If the flume were to recieve a re-theme I would be quite suprised.

Ive just had a rather unsettling thought... The Tavern! Surley it cant be closed or even replaced.

Does anyone know if the courtyard building is listed or protected in anyway? Id imagine there is and that what can be done to it is restricted but it will certainly be one building to watch on the council planning website to watch.

Thank god that HB have been told they will be reduced in the area as there are far too many pay-to-play in one area.

'Just add water' would be a good addition but as someone mentioned after the iconic swans went there was grief/hatred (justified too) towards splash karts. So the area is quite tentative to use from my pov. Id hope that any structres dont remove the views of the towers from the area but anything is better than a horrible pay to play 'attraction'.
Adam

The Tavern building is listed. That wont be touched. Probably new signage and the inside and courtyard slightly altered. Adding a few cannons and treasure chests and stuff...

My big hope is some kind of indoor attraction. POTC style, but i just don't see it.

Pirates 4D is probably almost definite, along with a few smaller flats going where the HB Leisure units currently stand. Will defiantly make the area much better and less path-like.

Adäm x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Ash

Well, there is a new twist to the tale.

I noticed recently a lot of clearence, of rubbish and old bits of ride etc, being removed from around the Flume recently?

Wether this is to make space or beginning de constructing/retheme i dont know.

I personally think the Flumes time is up, because of reasons like the Black Hole and the Evac Stairs needed for the Flume. So i think it will go. And we will have one family flat and one new shoot the chute ride on the flume site :D

I really hoped for an indoor dark/water ride but there just isnt the space or the money.

At the moment im thinking maybe.....Rocking Tug and Shoot the Chute. Family Flat and Shoot the Chute, Splash Battle and Shoot the Chute or maybe a theater? Family Coaster? Swinging ship?
haydn!

There have been strong rumours for several months that the park want to add a new water ride, but I can't see it being in Merrie England. The flume is too popular, too traditional and in a too tricky spot to add anything substantial. The most they'd get away with would be a shoot the chute using the front area where the final drop, lake and station is.

However, the last rumour I heard was that there was preference with a water coaster, over the chute, as this would be slightly more unique to the UK. But again, I can't see this happening in Merry England.
Thomas

Hasn't the flume just had a new kind of platform places around the channel in the wooded area? I'm sure the last couple of times i have been that it looks either new or new painted.

As much as i would like a Shoot the Chute i don't think it should come at the cost of the flume, granted the flumes old but still IMO is very fun and entertaining, and like the rapids most family members alike all join in for a ride on it.

Only just seen the Just Add Water plans, never seen them before & looks most interesting, themed as like people have been saying pirates it would be great. If the pirate theme was to go a head i like the idea of a new indoor ride like Pirates Adventure or POTC, but is there the space in Merrie England for such attraction?

This talk of new area themes & new installations has got me excited, :lol: :P
haydn!

I guess with some major changes to the behind the scenes buildings and infrastructure there could be the space for a small - medium sized indoor attraction but I think another indoor boat ride...which is basically what it would be may be out of the question as it would too similar to Charlie imo. A cinema/theatre show would be most likely occupying either the existing 3D cinema tent or a new building on the same spot.

A new theatre in Merrie England would pave the way for the demolision of the Cred St theatre, allowing the full expansion of this area to go ahead in the near future.
Parkey

I'm just SO SO pleased that they are finally sorting that whole area out. If it takes a few years - so be it. It could have such a positive impact on the park as a whole and mark a new period for AT. Whoop!
Brap
Sir John Talbot

[quote=""Parkey""]I'm just SO SO pleased that they are finally sorting that whole area out. If it takes a few years - so be it. It could have such a positive impact on the park as a whole and mark a new period for AT. Whoop![/quote]

Agreed. Alton could seem so much more wholesome is Merrie England had a defined theme that was really bold and set a definate atmosphere, as opposed to how it currently stands merely as a walkway to Katanga Canyon.
Ash

I dont think we should blow things out of proportion though this will be a small family area, most probably with 2 family flats. Maybe one flat and one medium sized ride. Certainly not enough room for anything major, aquatrax or a indoor POTC ride. Not matter how much we want one.

I also wonder wether one of the rides will be "Just Add Water" as Splash Karts was added not long ago...?
Wildchild

I was woundering just add water is supposed to be in place of the splash carts how would this work.
I can see a really nice themed area to behonest, easy because a lot of the building are fairly pirate like as they are very 1800 style building, and the taven would fit in nicely.
2ndly if things were going to get knocked down isnt the 3D cinema a fairly sized place to fit something AKA a water coaster in its place. If we were to get a watercoaster Id love it to be a dark ride.
2nd if we were going to get a water coaster, I would use the new sky sports tune, dont know what it is buts is sounds as if a pirate was about to go to battle.
Blackhole tent and retheme 2008 I hope

BEWARE Staffordshire uni rugby union lads doing it large at Alton towers on the 14th
Gashead

Got my hands on some plans, Link below. Looks very exciting :D :D :D

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/3198/plans08.jpg
semple90

You evil swine!
Got my hopes up there haha, I couldnt stop laughing at that link last night.
So has anything new arose for this project? :lol:
\"bang and the dirt is gone\"
Johno

Yeah....

Alton have decided to delay it until 2010
Wildchild

They are delaying this untill 2010 project penzance

BEWARE Staffordshire uni rugby union lads doing it large at Alton towers on the 14th
Thomas

How do you know 2010? :shock:

A real shame if it is true. :x
NickReid

shitter that sounded well gd imo, any reasons why??
haydn!

I seriously doubt, that just days after announcing thier intentions...the park would delay the project.

Latest rumours I heard was that park have been pitched a number of family attractions for the area, from several manufacturers but the actual chosen attractions currently remains a closely guarded secret.

One thing that is certain is that the flume, is going nowhere, and there will be little, if any change to its current design.
Wildchild

To be fair about flume if anything just retheme it. Its a ride thats fun for all ages, I reckon the queue could be shortend though. I also looked at flumes upgrade and if it would get an upgrade the Flume only took jan untill march. Wikipedias not the most reliable source but this mentions the rumor about the blackhole tent, this rumor is also on coaster force, and has been floating around for a while. Hopefully the 2008 idea still is happening as it will be a good addition to the park. Alton to me are aiming to make themselves a no1 family attraction again and with the plans are heading in the right direction.
On the secreat ride out of interest I still reckon this could be a water coaster. Is there any water coaster in the world with a loop. Sounds silly but that could be a world first as most water coasters have a track and a few water areas.

Slightly of the topic anyone seen garlando land rapids they are so well themed

Johno

When I said it was delayed I was being sarcastic.

Sorry if someone believed me :D
kumbastealth

It makes you wonder if anybody actually get to the ticket booths these days and pays the full whack, no coupons no offers etc

If they do they must have been living on a different planet for a while :lol: