Rare Oblivion Plans

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Mankey

Not sure whether this is sposed to be in the archive or here... but i havent seen these around anywhere and i just stumbled upon them. My apologies if this has been posted already

This is apparently the origonal design for oblivion

Clicky 1

Clicky 2

Clicky 3

It appears that Oblivion was going to feature a water splash!

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
suffy

I certainly haven't seen them before.

If this did happen it would of added a lot more to the ride, so I wonder why this didn't go ahead? I know oblivion was a "Quick" project because the couldn't finish Air for 1998, but shurley if they were going to spend £12million on the project, they could of at least spent a bit more time to get the worlds first vertical drop coaster even better? :?

Beats me!

:lol:
Last edited by suffy on Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=>TOXIC<=

These are just different concepts for the dive machine and possible layouts and features. I do not think they were planned for Oblivion.
Keep Rollin
Mankey

Well the site i found it on said that this is what oblivion was planned to look like

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
nemesis4lyf

Pretty cool pictures,where did you get them?? :?
haydn!

Those plans do look interesting, and are very much like the actual Oblivion design with the drop, tunnel, sharpe turn etc.

I like the water splash, that really adds something to the ride and I think in Busch Gardens, as become more of a trademark for the ride over its two vertical drops!!

The only bit I don't like is the lift hill goes directly into the drop. I like it our Oblivion circles around, adds bit of suspense to the ride.
Mankey

[quote=""nemesis4lyf""]Pretty cool pictures,where did you get them?? :?[/quote]

http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/rrcr/

Rare Rollercoaster Resources it quite interestingly shows the undeveloped Schwarzkopf suspended coaster and other things

about the plans for this though it says

When the patent was made for the original B&M Dive Machine to be placed at Alton Towers, It had a much different layout to Oblivion (the B&M Dive Machine that was built at Alton Towers). These plans show this figure-of-8 layout complete with a water splash.

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
nemesis4lyf

Oblivion is one of my favourite rides at A.T. But i also dont like the lift hill straight into the drop but it ould be could not sure :? :)
=>TOXIC<=

Do not believe everything you see on the internet.
It has proberly been thought they were Oblivion plans becasue it was the first one to be built but B+M will design a number of layouts and features to sell to many parks and say look this is what we can do for you.
Keep Rollin
nemesis4lyf

True, is there any other parks with a vertical drop coasters in England :? ?

Thanks
nemesis4lyf

If these pictures are of other plans of rides why is the overbanked turn and under ground section exacly the same as oblivion?
CGM

I'm glad that they stuck with the current design for a number of reasons.

Firstly, Oblivion looks much better with the turn before the drop and as stated above, it adds more suspence before the drop and allows you to take in the view properly.

Secondly, I'm glad that it isn't that high out of the ground as at ground level, you can see very clearly where the drop starts to bottom off which sort of takes away the idea of diving vertically into the ground. It would also mean that the tunnel section would be a lot shorter.

Finally, although it would have been a fun element, I'm glad that the water splash wasn't included as it doesn't really go with the intimidating feel of the ride and is an element much more suited to the two Busch dive machines
Ash

I dont think its Oblivion as its far too high, and long, perhaps its more of a generic patent
Beaver Dude

I like the water splash, that really adds something to the ride and I think in Busch Gardens, as become more of a trademark for the ride over its two vertical drops!!
The water splash looks amazing but then sucks on the ride.

I've seen those plans before and I'm now not sure that is Oblivion as the ride in that plan must be at least 100ft tall probably taller.
Kaycee

Moved from General. :)
Mankey

Thanks Kaycee... i thought it could have been in here, but for some odd reason i thought it could also be in general. Sorry about the hassle :oops:

I think what it is, is it was the standard B+M Diving Machine layout before the settled design on Oblivion and G5... so technically it is oblivions plans! :P mind you i may be wrong

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
Doopy Dan

If these pictures are of other plans of rides why is the over banked turn and under ground section exactly the same as oblivion?
Well, why would that 100% defiantly mean that this is Oblivion as you are making out? when coasters are designed, elements and sections are mixed and matched if you like to create different designs, i don't even think that design would fit into X-Sector.
Mi-Nigle

I do think that splash part would be fun but it wouldn't go with the theme of the area. Although i guess if they had gone with those plans thay would have themed the place differently.

Also that banked turn looks way bigger and cooler than the current Oblivion!
Kaycee

[quote=""mankey52""]Thanks Kaycee... i thought it could have been in here, but for some odd reason i thought it could also be in general. Sorry about the hassle :oops: [/quote]

No worries - it's a couple of mouse clicks, takes five seconds. :) Thanks for posting!
DrReeve

well b&m did this Krake its called i think
Image credit to Lewis97