Harness Failure?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Jon

Alton Towers is really strict with saftey. If there's just 1 tiny glitch in one harness they say they are "experiencing some minor technical difficulties" even if the ride can function fully without it.
Formerly "Dagoo"
Mikeb100

The reason for them being so tight on safety is that if there was an accident and sum 1 was injured n it was there fault there wud be so much bad publicity. Remember when Oblivion just got stuck either the year it opened or the year after it was stuck for about 2 hours n it was alll over the news on telly that nite

=>TOXIC<=

There are a few cases in the not so distant past if we look outside of Alton Towers to widen the discussion a bit.
Hydro at Oakwood a person fell out at the top
Superman Ride Of Steel at Six Flags New England failed and a person fell out.
These are the ones I can remember at the moment.
All depends on what saftey systems they are using and how good the operators are to spot problems.
Keep Rollin
Adz
Admin
Admin

Hydro at Oakwood a person fell out at the top
Superman Ride Of Steel at Six Flags New England failed and a person fell out.
Both were on rides using the now infamous Intamin Lapbar.

Note how i did not use the word caused, As it was believed to be the riders fault in both cases, no disrespect to them of course.
Peterwittland

[quote=""Jay247uk""]OMG!! I sat in the fat seat on Nemesis, People must of thought I was dead fat, im dead thin! OMG Ive got a photo in the fat seat![/quote]

Theres a fat seat on Nemesis, I thought that was only for the fatasses in America. i'm not racist because not all americans are fat, theres just a mcdonalds every half mile so you cant blame them, it was nice to go to mcdonalds in america cos theres no chavs like in the ones over here. has anyone noticed you find loads of chavs next to the generator (mcdonalds) near blade, i never eat there cos theres no seating and every park bench is covered in the 2 most disgusting things ever, mouldy lettuce, and heres one thats not for the faint hearted, CHAVS, they hang there in thiere swarms and it really pisses you off!
FAT PEOPLE ARE HARDER TO KIDNAP!
Moley

After extensive research it has been discovered that Chavs and McDonalds share a similar relationship, to Flies and $hit.
Peterwittland

My harness once failed on a skymaster, it was thanks to a Chav, suprise suprise, pressing the stupidly placed manual restraint release. luckily the ride freezed up until the problem was fixed
FAT PEOPLE ARE HARDER TO KIDNAP!
Anonymous

I went on VAMPIRE at chessington AT's sister .

The lapbar did not come up when i went to board.

Then at the second hill it snapped open and i shut it as we were towering over mc donalds at 15 mph.
Nemesista

I've just read this entire thread with trepidation, thinking that I may read something to put me off rollercoasters forever. All in all I have been reassured that I would love to live in a restraint!

Ever since riding Oblivion with the lowest click available I've felt tres safe. which makes me consider how interesting the psychological aspect of it all is.

I mean, we all know holding on wont help us in any way, yet SO many people do it. Similar to people pulling the restraint down until their legs are numb, and thinking the seatbelt will actually help them in any way. interesing. *strokes beard*
Ash

Well i like my restraint quite loose! Especially Oblivion, Nemesis, Air and Rita. Not SW though. However i dont like it castraiting!

Ive only had the problem of corkie NOT letting me out and i went round again to the mistake of the ride ops!
Ceza

I always feel worried that something is going to go wrong on the rides, but after reading this thread I feel better :)
Nemesista

Ditto. My worst fears were realised in Final Destination 3, but as it obviously can't happen is simply doesn't matter.

Who agrees that a death at AT would be the best way to go? (lets say you're old and ready to die, at least?)
Ash

:? :shock: :P

What a comment to make! I think it would have to be either on the Nemesis loop and the top piece of track section comes loose or Rita and the end piece of track becomes disconnected and i shoot of into the valley. How dark! It would be one hell of a way to go. And i hope they find me smiling with my arms up!

Harness still holding me in however
Nemesista

Well I'd expect it if it was a coaster there! I did refuse to go on corky because of FD§ though, that coupled with the fact about 8 technicians were standing around staring at it looking glum!

[quote=""titler121""]:? :shock: :P
What a comment to make! I think it would have to be either on the Nemesis loop and the top piece of track section comes loose or Rita and the end piece of track becomes disconnected and i shoot of into the valley. How dark! It would be one hell of a way to go. And i hope they find me smiling with my arms up!

Harness still holding me in however[/quote]

Well when I was watching Rita from the end of the queue, I saw the train launch and then expected it to go up a certain track (the perspective fooled me) and when it didn't I had images of it flying away into the valley. So cool. :)
Ash

How very final destination 3!

I think it would make one hell of a film. I very much doubt we will ever see a harness failure at Alton. The rides are to safe and well engineered with many back up safety machines
Anonymous

I wish american theme parks were as tight on security as AT was, while at Universal Studios in Orlando I went on Jurassic Park River Adventure. sure was! There was a really really really (and I mean really) fat guy on the same row as me, and the safety bar wouldn't budge because of him - so I had about 3 foot of room between me and the bar :shock: (basically no restraints whatsoever)

For those of you who dont know, Jurassic Park River Adventure is a huge water ride where you plummet 85 feet
Nemesista

Oh my god, I'd be terrified. Unfor in american that's not going to be an isolated incident, considering how damn fat so many of them are! And the ironic bit is, they're nice and secure!
caffeine_demon

when I went on air last year. I only just squeezed into the restraint, as I was going round I had a bit of a panic worrying if it was securely fastened.
Nemesista

Is that tester seat still outside to queue so overweight people can check before they start to wait?
caffeine_demon

yeah - most rides have tester seats. I muista put on a bit of weight in america, I had to go in the fat bastards seat on nemmy inferno yesterday! ANd I could forget about colossus (the seat there was tight last time I went, but I just fit it.)

need to lose a bit before my next visit - I want to be on the front row of NI (and of course nemesis at AT)

oink oink!