Spinball Whizzer - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

When I went on 21 of April it was open before 10, is that normal?
Chris1

It, as is Oblivion and the Beastie open earlier for hotel guests and annual pass holders....

It's called Extra Ride Time (XRT)..
Alex Tyler

When did the XRT change?
Wes

XTR has only just chaned so I don't expect that Spinball opening before 10am was anythign to do with that.

Chances are they might have been testing it, I know around this time they were having problems with the weights of the cars.
Alex Tyler

It was open with a big queue
Shent

It's called ERT and it's for annual pass holders or people staying in the hotels

Spinball, Oblivion and the Beastie all open from about 9 30 ( I think)
......The one and only... :sus:
XLR8

There is a strong rumor that Heide-Park may receive 2008 a Wild Mouse coaster or a spinning coaster. Even the space is almost defined.

I personally believe that this could go with the rumor that Spinnball leaves Alton. What do you think? :?
If you go down to Wodan - you'd better not go alone!
blablabla

I doubt Spinball will leave Alton, its still fairly new, and still pulls in the people. If they could somehow get it going with 4 in a car again it would be even better, but I really doubt it'll be removed this soon regardless
AltonOllie

[quote=""blablabla""]I doubt Spinball will leave Alton, its still fairly new, and still pulls in the people. If they could somehow get it going with 4 in a car again it would be even better, but I really doubt it'll be removed this soon regardless[/quote]

Wait a minute, i've just realised, why can't they run it with 4? :? lol :P
Mi-Nigle

[quote=""AltonOllie""][quote=""blablabla""]I doubt Spinball will leave Alton, its still fairly new, and still pulls in the people. If they could somehow get it going with 4 in a car again it would be even better, but I really doubt it'll be removed this soon regardless[/quote]

Wait a minute, i've just realised, why can't they run it with 4? :? lol :P[/quote]

yeah i noticed that too last time i went, is there a new wieght regulation that has come in? I hope it doesn't stay that way, spinball queues are long enough!
stokywolf

It can now run with 4 people in the car, has been doing for the majority of the season.
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz
Nick

Running full cars or not depends on the weather
Chris
Admin
Admin

Now this is bringing a topic back from the vaults...

Here's our new POV of Spinball Whizzer.
Is it a must ride for you on your visit?
Morgan

Not quite a must ride, but I love it! It's a "dumb fun" ride that's just really enjoyable, and always has me in stitches. It beats you up and the spinning really adds to the hectic nature of the ride. If it wasn't for the frequently long queues then I'd certainly ride it a lot more. It's a great ride to go on with friends to have a good giggle!
Coaster Chall

It's definitely the weakest of the coasters, but that's because it's one of the best family thrill coasters, along with Th13teen and (technically) Wickerman. Best thing though, doesn't look like Spinball is going anywhere.

But I remember all years of that coaster. I went on the original Spinball Whizzer from 2004, Sonic Spinball and the returning Spinball Whizzer theme, so I do have a connection with that coaster throughout the years.
apx00

Speaking of Sonic Spinball, does anyone happen to have a recording of the TV advert?
It was at the end of the Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing game advert. I've only been able to find this one on YouTube but it's been recorded with a camcorder.
No one has a DVR recorded version of a better quality do they? I've been looking for it for ages!

https://youtu.be/rR2ojIJvjjI
LoopinLiam

I just had a good look around for it, even using internet archive and wayback machine, but to no avail. It may not be online. I am still searching, as I have to return you a favour for the Spinball Whizzer audio you gave me.
Looping Liam/Theme Park Goose
apx00

LoopinLiam wrote: I just had a good look around for it, even using internet archive and wayback machine, but to no avail. It may not be online. I am still searching, as I have to return you a favour for the Spinball Whizzer audio you gave me.
Nice thanks :)
I'm sure it will be on one of the many recordings of The Simpsons that are on our old Sky+ box at my parents' house. I can always remember seeing it advertised after the all stars racing game. when I was watching The Simpsons.
It's a shame the wayback machine doesn't have it. Hopefully 2020 will be the year someone records the full 25 minute soundtrack for SPW now, and the year that we find the sonic spinball advert!
apx00

I'm not sure how successful this will be, but no one has the full picture of this site plan for Spinball Whizzer do they, or aware of anywhere on the internet hosting it? I've tried checking planning permission but I can't find any plans.
This is the only image I can find: https://www.towerstimes.co.uk/wp-conten ... 2/sw01.jpg
but some of the values on it are unreadable and the scale isn't present.
I'm working on an NL2 recreation so this would be a really nice resource to have for accuracy.
SilverBullet

Hi all,

Has anyone ever noticed that around Spinball Whizzer that occasionally you can hear the sound of sonic collecting a ring? 😃