YourDay: News and Updates

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
stokywolf

[quote=""Tom""][quote=""furie""]Sorry for the double post

We've written the guide to YourDay now. If you have any questions, just ask

http://www.coasterforce.com/YourDay[/quote]
The two staff in the picture on that site aren't wearing their namebadges or lanyards. Tut. :P[/quote]

LOL! TOM!

Good news for you all you yourday fans out there! (if you find one give me a shout) The rapids is now live on yourday approximatly 1 year and 6 months after it should have gone live!

*retreats before going off on one again*
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz
Thom

[quote=""stokywolf""]
Good news for you all you yourday fans out there! (if you find one give me a shout) The rapids is now live on yourday approximatly 1 year and 6 months after it should have gone live!

*retreats before going off on one again*[/quote]

Check the previous page :wink:

I guess that YourDay will do the same thing for Scarefest night riding as they did last year, just shut off the cameras from dusk onwards. I hope they communicate this clearly to guests though this year though!

Thom...
furie

They have technology to allow them to film in the dark, but it's not for Alton, as it's more expensive, and Alton is only open in the dark for a couple of weeks of the year.

Places like *cough* Thorpe and Disney *cough* were they *cough* might *cough* be installed in the future will get these cameras, as they often run much later and in the dark.

As for the rapids being late - they weren't quite prepared for a big technological issue - the boats arrive at random points along the way, at random times, and in random directions. It's taken them 12 months to develop an idea which works, and to actually get it in place.

The current system is simple. You pass the start point, and the camera's know you're passing them at set times - the trains always arrive within seconds of when they should.

With the flume and rapids, the boats vary depending on weather, water in channel and weight of the riders. the rapids are even worse.

To solve it, they've added sensors to each boat, which trip capture points so that the recording is correct. For the rapids, there are three sensors on each boat, so no matter which way the boat is facing, one sensor is always guaranteed to trip the capture point. It's very different to the way it was meant to work.

There were supposed to be 12 rides originally you know? Hex, Duel, RMT and Charlie were also included in the original spec. Duel was dropped as the footage ruined the ride (you could see the strings being pulled behind the scenes. Charlie was dropped due the Dahl Foundation being a pain in the backside about rights and the like. RMT was dropped due to the fact it crashed a week before the installation process was due to start.

So that left Hex... The single dark ride amongst all the others - it was deemed to gloomy and out of place. It just didn't fit in with the rest of the footage, so that too was dropped.
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Johno

These capture points for the boats was what I was on about.

Yourday would sell much more, if guests could just pick up a ride video when they get off the ride. Without having to fuss about armbands etc.
furie

[quote=""Johno""]These capture points for the boats was what I was on about.

Yourday would sell much more, if guests could just pick up a ride video when they get off the ride. Without having to fuss about armbands etc.[/quote]

They can't do that though, as that's Picsolve's area. The two companies have to work together and YouDay can't tread on Picsolve's toes.

Also, what if you want it for 4 rides? You'd need 4 DVD's! Each at a cost of £8+

The subtle hint I got from YourDay was that the market had demanded a sliding scale and varying amount of rides to be on the DVD they produce, but I got the distinct impression that £8 didn't really cover the costs of burning a DVD for a customer.

I know a blank DVD is cheap, but the cost also has to cover the staff wages, the investment in the hardware, rental on the shop space, payment towards technological development, etc.

So would you pay £10 for a DVD at the end of a ride? Or £10 for two rides, plus some footage of you walking the Towers, at the end of the day?

I know Picsolve are doing the on-ride DVD's now - I don't know how much they cost to be honest, but it's running alongside the photo stuff, so their overheads aren't quite so high.
Chris W

Picsolve's on-ride camera's are much cheaper than YourDays equipment.
YourDay had to lay all the cables to connect each side of the park to the servers in the YourDay shop. Picsolve only need to go from oblivion to the oblivion shop and I guess this is all done wirelessly?

Now all the rides are available I'm seriously considering buying a DVD during Scarefest.
JamieDeath

To be honest im not sure why everyone slags Yourday off, its a great little thing that adds nicely to the park, the dvd was quite useful to me as my family has never been to alton so it gave me a chance to show them the rides etc, but yeah if you don't like it just don't use it.
As for the point about having to wear arm bands is stupid, thats the hole thign that makes yourday, it captures YOUR hole day so no having to mess around with numbers etc of what film is yours and stuff like that its all done automaticly :)
Johno

What I'm saying is that it's a major flaw in the entire system.

Most people don't want to spend £20-£25 for the entire ride DVD. It's bloody expensive!

If it was a single ride dvd, in a simple case, on ride exit for £5-£6 there business would increase drastically.
Corkscrewed

you are aware you can get single Ride DVDs from the YourDay shop as well aren't you? I'm just checking, as you seem to be implying that you can only buy the whole day DVD..

please forgive my ignorance if this isn't the case :)
CoasterCrazyChris

20-25 quid is much on the steep side for the whole DVD. You can buy brand new blockbusting new-release films for £12! For this price they should include intros & overviews (like ride storylines) before they show you on that particular ride (do they already do this?). Also I might expect more rides for that cost to. :)
Johno

[quote=""IRejectReality""]you are aware you can get single Ride DVDs from the YourDay shop as well aren't you? I'm just checking, as you seem to be implying that you can only buy the whole day DVD..

please forgive my ignorance if this isn't the case :)
[/quote]

I do know that they do single ride ones.

But they require the person to actually do something. Go and get a band (which some people don't know are free), and the bands are quite chunky on your wrist (which can be uncomfortable).

If Yourday had a much simpler version, it would offset the losses (which I'm sure are being made) on the current 'wristband options'. It wouldn't be hard for Yourday to capture each 'ride' and then give it a unique reference number. Then they could buy the dvd quickly on ride exit, or take the ref to the yourday shop. The latter having no real advantage.
furie

It's much more complicated. You lose the bit of paper with the number on? You need shops on each of the rides to handle it, with additional staffing costs, etc. The cost of each DVD (as I said before) would increase dramatically.

The bands look expensive, but they're really not, the outlay on bands really isn't too high.

What about walking around, the 'pinch points' which also add more to the DVD? You need those, and I hope more are added.

The DVD you pay for at the end is scalable. The system is neat and works. The price point is high, but it's a 20 minute video for the price of four ORP's. Which is the better value? (I prefer ORP's to be honest, but once I've bought one, I tend to scan it and forget about it).

People visiting Alton are looking for this kind of memorabilia. They visit Alton once every few years, and this is a great way of remembering. It's not really designed for people who live, eat and breath Alton Towers...

The system still has some way to go, but they have set it up the only way which is actually workable and feasible. They are making (some) money, and are looking at expanding rapidly - which is the sign that they are getting something right...
Johno

I don't go to Alton more than once a year.

I wouldn't buy it, neither would any of my friends, or my parents friends.
CoasterCrazyChris

I only get to go once in a while too, and once you've added up everything else for your day/s at the park, most people just can't afford another 20 quid. :)
furie

Yes, but many people DO! The people YourDay is marketed at and selling to.

Usually those who know very little about Alton, and buy it as part of their "day out" package. Target market is those in their late teens and early twenties, thrill seekers with disposable income.
Quickey

Your Day seems to be working hard to perfect their product.

When I went to Towers on Wednesday, I noticed the staff giving out the bands giving people instructions on how to use the band, telling them they must keep the band in contact with skin and must not be covered by clothing, and telling them to wave the band at the sensors as you go past them.

They also had signs in the ride stations and queue lines reminding guests to wave the band at the sensors, and informing them were the sensors are.

They have obviously had complaints from guest about not being picked up on camera and I think this is a good step to improve the problem.

(Sorry if this is old news, but I couldn’t see anything about it in this topic, and I haven’t been to the resort in a few months).
JamieDeath

While this topics at the top, what are they going to do now all there cameras from corkscrew are going? Are they going to move them to a new ride? Or just wait until a new big coaster maybe?
Anyway yeah I found there staff very very helpful... until my friend said to me as a joke 'lets take it apart in electronics at school' :oops:
AstroDan

I believe Runaway Mine Train could be an option. At the time YourDay was prepared originally, the ride was closed after the crash, so it would seem a perfect opportunity.
SEALIFE

Do Towers actually make any money off this scheme now well there own version of it? Or has it all gone pear shapped?
Islander

[quote=""SEALIFE""]Do Towers actually make any money off this scheme now well there own version of it? Or has it all gone pear shapped?[/quote]
From what I saw of it last season, it seemed very popular. Shop was always rammed at the end of the day.

...of course, I've no idea how much it costs them, and how much they make, but based on purchase numbers and unqualified fan speculation alone, I would guess they are making money, yes.