YourDay: News and Updates

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Corkscrewed

[quote=""alex tyler""][quote=""Johno""]The Flume is now available on YourDay![/quote]

When did it come online?

I went on the 30th and only 6 rides were working.[/quote]

not 100% on this, but I'm sure it came online Today. I'm guessing today because I'm still on the -really-evil-nasty-YourDay-Email-list-which-I-can't-be-asked-to-find-out-how-to-get-out-of :lol:

they sent me an email today letting me know. :D
JamieDeath

You can view a clip of it here: http://www.yourdayataltontowers.com/player/flume.html
thought there would of been more footage but guess not.
AstroDan

The good thing about Flume & Rapids is that they are slower than the rollercoasters, meaning you can clearly make everyone out. I actually quite like the capture points on Flume.

:)
JamieDeath

Got an email saying that the congo river rapids is now out and available, the footage can be found here:
http://www.yourdayataltontowers.com/player/congo.html
AstroDan

Great! I know they have been working on this solidly for the past 2 months.

Finally, Your Day can offer all the rides they promised.

Quickey

WOW! Finally after almost 2 years, it is fully up and running.

I might have to give our Day another shot at the ScareFest meet. :D
Johno

On my last visit I got a YourDay wristband, not because I actually wanted to purchase it, but because I wanted to see what the thing itself was like.

Couple of things I've noticed:

Why is the band so large? It's dead chunky, and on some of the rides it can actually hurt!

My group binned the wristbands, then at the end of the day realised that we should have given them back.

There's no promotion of it at the end of any of the rides. Yourday need a picsolve type stand! Even better, Merlin buy picsolve, and yourday gets put together with that to make a superior product.

Yourday MUST be cheaper that picsolve for a single ride.
senor_cooper

Why is the band so large? It's dead chunky, and on some of the rides it can actually hurt!
Completely agree with you. This is even more mystifying if you open it up- seeing as the technical razzamatazz and what not takes up a tiny proportion of the available space.

The cynic in me reckons they ordered the stickers before they designed the wristbands.
Mattia

The flume on yourday. Right, i hate it! All the other rides, music etc are capture so very well and then it comes to the flume. Yourday have made it too calm and relaxing completely defeating the object of the flume, funky, fun, wet and "fast". It's got the wet part right but everything else is just meh. I don't want to see number 11 half of the tiem on my blooming screen, i want to see action. I like the music, it is nice but it doesn't suit the flume at all. But saying all this, it does probably capture the most of you out of all the rides which is a plus :)
Thom

A note about the size of the wristbands...

All RFID devices consist of a small chip and then an antenna, and the device constantly emits a signal which is picked up by receivers.

All the chips are tiny, but to ensure the signal can be received, the antenna needs to be the right shape and size for the purpose.

An Oyster card is the size of a credit card when it could be much smaller partially to allow for a wire inside acting as a weak transmitter, so having your card a few cm from a receiver will work.

YourDay wristbands need to work over several feet though. (Taking Air for example, where the sensors are probably furthest away from you.) So the antenna needs to be much stronger, by having a dome shape and a couple of wires this is done.

However, I believe YourDay are testing out new wristbands which will be more successful at getting picked up on the rides (no word on the size though) although in regards to notices/publicity there's a YourDay promotional booth in FV and all rides now have notices near the station reminding people to wave their wirstbands.

Thom...
Johno

What I mean is that why should you need the wristband?

Surely the technology could work by just capturing the 'car'???

Then you can buy a ride DVD instantly.
Corkscrewed

but that isn't the idea behind YourDay.

as the name suggests, it is supposed to be a visual record of your day, and although we know it doesn't live up to that, thats there goal at the end of the day.

just capturing the car for a single DVD, removing the RFID bands, would mean they wouldn't be able to be compiled together, which defeats the object of YourDay.

:D
Rob L

They've taken their time but it's now up and running on all the rides they said it would be, better late than never I suppose. I might consider buying a DVD next time I go now that it's fully operational.

Johno

[quote=""IRejectReality""]but that isn't the idea behind YourDay.

as the name suggests, it is supposed to be a visual record of your day, and although we know it doesn't live up to that, thats there goal at the end of the day.

just capturing the car for a single DVD, removing the RFID bands, would mean they wouldn't be able to be compiled together, which defeats the object of YourDay.

:D
[/quote]

I'm saying that they should have that in addition to the YourDay band.

Yourday isn't always 'in your face' like it should be. If I was running it, it'd be a lot different and they might have made some money.
Corkscrewed

[quote=""Johno""]What I mean is that why should you need the wristband?

[/quote]

[quote=""Johno""]I'm saying that they should have that in addition to the YourDay band.
[/quote]

:?
AstroDan

[quote=""IRejectReality""][quote=""Johno""]What I mean is that why should you need the wristband?

[/quote]

[quote=""Johno""]I'm saying that they should have that in addition to the YourDay band.
[/quote]

:?[/quote]

Please don't just have a single emoticon for your post, thank you muchly.

Johno

[quote=""IRejectReality""][quote=""Johno""]What I mean is that why should you need the wristband?

[/quote]

[/quote]

:?[/quote]

Right basically, why do you need the wristband to get a video?

Look at Picsolve on Oblivion. They show the video there and then, it's an instant dvd burnt and paid for. Plus a profit of £4, out of the £5-6 you spend on it.

If Yourday did that, then they wouldn't be spending tonnes of money on individual bands, but just one for each car.
furie

[quote=""Johno""]
Right basically, why do you need the wristband to get a video?[/quote]

Because it picks you up all day as you wander around. If it was based on one car, then how do you get all 8 of your rides onto a single DVD showing your day at Alton off? You'd have to buy a DVD per ride, or remember the specific number of your ride for each at the end.

That would mean a station for Yourday at each ride to preview the clips, etc. It's all too much, and treading right onto Picsolve's toes.
[/quote]

[quote=""Thom""]A note about the size of the wristbands...

All RFID devices consist of a small chip and then an antenna, and the device constantly emits a signal which is picked up by receivers.

All the chips are tiny, but to ensure the signal can be received, the antenna needs to be the right shape and size for the purpose.
[/quote]

Actually, the chips are passive, so they only transmit when near a transmitter. So it's as you pass the transmitters they activate, then broadcast, them shut down again afterwards.

I think they size is certainly to do with the aerial, but also as a bit of hardwearing, functional kit. The receiver must be safe from damage by hard knocks and water. The design is a good shield and protects the inside - making them reusable. There's also the image thing too, they're noticeable and add value to the brand.

[quote=""Thom""]
However, I believe YourDay are testing out new wristbands which will be more successful at getting picked up on the rides (no word on the size though) [/quote]

I was given a new wristband to trial on Saturday, and they're the same as the others - only the reception range has gone up from 2M to 5M. So you're more likely to be picked up. This means they are going to hide transmitters more (the ones at the entrance by the side of the path, and at Gloomy wood and Katanga Canyon are going to be buried) and you'll just generally have a better chance of being picked up on it.

The system is quite clever, I'll be writing up a detailed report of the technology and how it works on CoasterForce in a few days time :)
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
furie

Sorry for the double post :(

We've written the guide to YourDay now. If you have any questions, just ask :)

http://www.coasterforce.com/YourDay
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Tom M

[quote=""furie""]Sorry for the double post

We've written the guide to YourDay now. If you have any questions, just ask

http://www.coasterforce.com/YourDay[/quote]
The two staff in the picture on that site aren't wearing their namebadges or lanyards. Tut. :P