Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Luce

Ah that's good to know as Black Buccaneer's one of my favourite rides at Chessington and a great pirate ship :)
Swarm Chris

Chessington released a short video of the ship being put back into place.

https://twitter.com/CWOA/status/1000300327193792513
Dom

According to Chessington's Twitter account, Not Dogs has opened. 
Swarm Chris

Wish them the best of luck. Fairly prime location and adds a bigger selection of options for vegetarians and vegans than just a salad.

I wonder how many people will order without paying attention, and then how many notice?
JC13

Dom wrote:According to Chessington's Twitter account, Not Dogs has opened. 
Just out of interest, what is not dogs?
Robert.W

Sounds like it could be vegetarian / vegan equivalent of hotdogs or something..?

Dom

It’s a food and beverage place for vegetarians I believe
Swarm Chris

Chessington not having the best of half-terms. Beginning of the week a Tiger Falls boat got stuck on the first hill and a motor went pop on Scorpion Express.

Now they've had a power cut caused by an issue somewhere offsite.

https://twitter.com/CWOA/status/1002553568019218434

Edit: UK Power Network who are the distributor for the area suggesting it may be off until 16:30-17:30.
Last edited by Swarm Chris on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert.W

I've just heard about this.. bad enough, but at least it isn't Chessington's fault. 

Then there are :-# like this trying to give the park bad press because of it. Grow up you stupid child! 

Swarm Chris

Could understand anger if they don't handle it well - but it looks like the emergency lighting came on in the control booth, so I would assume that everything has failed exactly as it should.
Robert.W

It just annoys me that regardless of how well Chessington handles this, there are people out there who will try their very best to dramatise it and get the story in to the news just because they can... :(

Swarm Chris

For sure. 

In a more light-hearted part of this, apparently the person dressed as the Gruffalo is giving it their all as one of the only sources of entertainment in the park. :)
Robert.W

Haha, I can just imagine it! :lol

And, update from Chessington – they're going to revalidate everyone's tickets! 

Robert.W

The Mirror, the BBC and the Telegraph are now all publishing stories because of that idiotic child I linked in one of my above posts. :cry:

Swarm Chris

Well it is at least more newsworthy than ride goes through normal shut down procedure from yesterday! :lol

Did like the line in the Mirror, reportedly a member of staff telling a guest that the animals were their priority. Can kind of imagine someone complaining to a keeper who is having a very bad day and does have more important things to be thinking of.

Sadly, reports that the car park barriers are causing issues... because of course they would.
Robert.W

"Animals are the priority", hahaha!! :lol 

In seriousness, whilst there wasn't much the park could do about the power cut, the parking issues really do need sorted out now.

Swarm Chris

Just seen one photo with the barrier removed. Maybe with tools, maybe with someone's car, who knows? (Probably tools :lol)
wamdue

Robert.W wrote:I've just heard about this.. bad enough, but at least it isn't Chessington's fault. 

Then there are :-# like this trying to give the park bad press because of it. Grow up you stupid child! 
That parade of news media, wanting to use his photo, is just ugly. Is there a story here? Maybe for the local news, but its nothing to get that excited by.
richard.davies.98871

Was at Chessington today. Thought staff that we encountered did well given tough circumstances.
We had just finished riding Monkey Swingers and were walking towards the sea lion show. We walked past Danny Dyer (of all people, he’d just been doing a photo shoot we think at the penguin beach, probably for Love Island promo), were the other side of the hedge to Rattlesnake, when suddenly there was a bit of noise - all the air brakes in the block sections must have had power cut to them and all cars stopped. It was very quiet all of a sudden. This was at around 2.45. We walked into the market square and there were lots of employees running to various locations, we then noticed all the screens, signs, rides we could see were not working. We went and waited for the sea lions where we were told that the whole park had no power and the show wouldn’t happen as they had no microphones. After that everyone was heading for the zoo areas! It was therefore extremely busy in all these areas. We left the Park at about 3.45 and getting out of the MAP car park took a little while but the staff on duty were doing their best against the impatient drivers that queuing is clearly beneath! Good day despite the power cut.
Justin

Thanks for sharing your day. It is good to hear directly from someone who was there and acknowledges that staff done well in what we must admit are very unusual circumstances!