Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Swarm Chris

From your report it sounds like the staff went straight into emergency mode, which is great to hear. A shame that guest behaviour maybe became the bigger issue later on though.

Extremely good going by the park staff and management yesterday by the sounds of it. It's one thing to plan and train for such an issue, quite another to have to face it with a park full of guests.
richard.davies.98871

The staff just did their best in an impossible situation. We saw the lift hill of Dragons Fury, and the people stuck there. Staff were with them and they were ferrying water to them.

The park was busy, some longish queues. Zufari throughout was not good as it was running in two trucks, but queues ranged from 45-90 mins on the “big rides”. Tiger Falls broke down at about 2pm and people were evacuated from the lift hills. Also, there were big queues at the food outlets due to the VISA problems.
I think these things just put stress onto guests and staff, then the power cut made some people boil over sadly. The way some people speak to staff (not just here but in general) is just appalling. There is a problem, staff are working hard to solve it and keep people informed and calm, they don’t need people who think that they are somehow “owed by the world” speaking to them rudely, abusively and unreasonably.
3 hours was lost of the day, people are getting a whole day ticket to return (yes, travel costs, days off etc.). The last thing that Merlin needed. 
FerretTale

We're trained on how to deal with ride breakdowns - it's an often occurrence for rides, though every ride on park being stuck at the same time is pretty unique. xP 
Swarm Chris

FerretTale wrote:We're trained on how to deal with ride breakdowns - it's an often occurrence for rides, though every ride on park being stuck at the same time is pretty unique. xP 
Well done to you all :)

Just remember management might lurk here :sus:

In a separate issue, Chessington have joined the Merlin car parks that don't want to let people out club...

Other comments saying moved 20m in over an hour.
JamieDeath

Had a really good visit on Thursday. Queues were non-existent which was good, but also sad as I love chessington and don't want it closing/losing investment.

Tiger Rock was a lot better than I thought it would be, although disappointed with the lack of mist in the drop, and imo they could have done more with the tunnel - I think keeping the dragon would have been good.

Tomb blaster used to be one of my favourite rides as a kid, but the music needs turning up (and there's no music at the start) along with switching the queue TVs on. Im glad the rock bit at the beginning is working again though, never thought they'd have bothered fixing that.

Rameses revenge was closed due to it being a Thursday - they had a staff member outside saying it will open on friday, not sure how they could justify having someone there the entire day, could have paid a couple more staff members and have it open. Not to sure why they don't open it for a few hours on off-peak days or something? Still Im glad its still there, and hope it doesn't go away anytime soon. Although Im guessing its days are limited as it doesn't really fit in with the parks target audience which is a shame. 

Finally, Vampire was on two trains, but one was being sent around empty. Is there any reason for this, is it not simple to take the other train out of service for off peak times? Found it amazingly smooth in the front row, but awful in the middle. I know its getting really old now, but I can't see any reason for them to remove it? Surely they can just replace/refurbish the trains if need be. It has one of my favourite track layouts, the way it interacts with the scenery and has quite a lengthly ride time. Oh and also why is it when the train comes into the station it 'stops' three times, seems really inefficient and pointless?
Chris
Admin
Admin

Oh and also why is it when the train comes into the station it 'stops' three times, seems really inefficient and pointless?
The station track is sloped, so the train relies on gravity to move. The brakes stop the train overshooting. If it does, the restraints will not open.
XtremeCoasters Rick

After a break of 28 years, I decided to visit Chessington again last Friday as I was in the area for the Summer Screamer event on the Saturday. I'm not too sure why I left it so long to return back to the park, but needless to say it has changed a fair bit since my last visit for Vampires opening season.

Overall I was really impressed. The park was clean, the ride ops and staff were extremely friendly and a lot of fun, and the ride collection while not amazing (I prefer height and speed to theming) was more then adequate to keep me entertained for the day.

The below music video is a little compilation I threw together with some of the highlights of my day :)

[youtube]W7Ah42gHeCE[/youtube]
Gentlemen, start your engines !!
Chris
Admin
Admin

Excellent video! :)
Dan

Chessington World of Adventures Resort have announced that the ‘Summer of Emoji’ will be taking place between 19th July and 3rd September.

Included in the event will be an activity trail in which guests set out to find the hidden Emoji’s in order to win an exclusive pop badge. There will also be prize giveaways for park guests, social media and challenge winners, along with the chance to meet your favourite Emoji characters.

Somewhat confusingly, the dates on the image don’t match the dates stated on the webpage.

Swarm Chris

So let me get this right, Merlin have paid money to license the use of generic yellow expressive faces, which they're going to turn into meet and greet characters.

Just think with Tiger Rock they could have made their own mascot characters: Terry and Tara, the Chessington Tigers. One likes to explore, the other loves adventure. Much cheaper, more fitting with their theme, and an ability to create their own merchandise.

But sorry Chessington, that's my idea now. So you can't have it unless you license it from me.
Justin

I'm really not sure what to make of this. To be honest, it doesn't fit in with Chessington's theme. It is a shame that they didn't use Rocky from Tiger Rock. They have made him into a soft toy, so could be a mascot. While I am not keen on the theme at all, I think it would have fitted in more at Alton and the current CCL.
ThemeCrafter264

It's not even the emoji movie...
lewis97
Admin
Admin

As posted on SouthParks Facebook, Chessington have updated their short breaks website to confirm the 2018 Howl’o’ween line-up, with this year seeing the return of all four of 2017’s attractions: Creepy Caves Unearthed, Room on the Broom Spooky Story Time, Curse of the Lost Tomb, and Trick or Treat Wood.
ThemeCrafter264

Does anybody know what is happening to Kobra? It has been shut all today and I really want to ride it when I visit Chessington on Tuesday.
revendication

Seems to have been having a few issues lately, was down on Wednesday morning when I was there but back up and running later in the day.
Swarm Chris

The Chessington emoji "characters" have made an appearance. I have to assume that they didn't spook the animals with their photo shoot.

Source: Chessington Twitter
Justin

#worldcheeseday
lewis97
Admin
Admin

It seems there will also be a new show called Howl’o’ween Live, with Chessington advertising opportunities for dancers and singers, alongside acting roles.
Swarm Chris

Some speculation, as Chessington haven't had a brand new ride in a while. The park is in reasonable need of something new that can add capacity, given that pretty much every weekend Vampire and Dragon's Fury will have queues 40-90 minutes in length, along with Grufallo and Zoofari having similarly long queues.

If I remember correctly, there was some suggestion in the last development plan that they wanted to add a new coaster, with a water coaster being hinted at. Given the re-theme of Tiger Rock this year, I'm not sure they need a water coaster, or that it would give the capacity they need.

My speculation is given the success of Wicker Man, could they build a family oriented woodie? They could even shove an IP in there like Oscar's Wacky Taxi if they really had to.

The field at the corner of the Vampire and Dragon's Fury has been earmarked for development for a fair while, and I could see it nicely housing a wooden coaster, given how they've implemented Wicker Man.
Swarm Chris

Quick warning for anyone intending on driving to Chessington next Sunday. The RideLondon event will be taking place and will cause some roads and routes into Chessington to be closed.

https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/ ... -closures/

It looks that if you're coming in via the M25, you would need to take junction 9. The signposted route from junction 10 if you're traveling anti-clockwise will likely be unavailable.

But to be sure, check the interactive map they have provided on the link above!