Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
AstroDan

Yeah that's what I thought, Andy. I thought the circuit looked better and more spread out. I also prefer the look of it as I find Spinball hideous.
Andyc Nemesis

Astrodance, completly agree that Spinball is hideous. Dragons Fury fits into the area nicer and the ride is brill, you can see a vast amount of the park from this ride, while spinball is a bit nothing.
BlackHole2006

Just out of looking at spinball wizzar when I went in the closed season for my 12'th Bday, me and my mum were commenting how tacky it looked.

Dragons Fury Is by far the best ride in chessington. I rode it once with my mum and dad and the second time with my sister and her mate. (It was my sisters Birthday treat so she brang a few of her mates there) I did have an oppertunerty to ride it a 3'rd time but instead I rode the vampire.

It is an absoludely fab ride with amazing theming. Great for families and thrill seekers Alike as G-Forces are high as you go over the highly banked turn. My mum absolutely hates any ride that spins but luckily on ours it didnt spin buit uf you want it to put more wheight on one side then the other A.K.A The lightest people in a group on one side and the heavyest on the other.

On the first go I really needed the toilet and almost wet myself whilst on the ride! :oops:. That was an excellent day and alot of fun memories aswell.

Highly recommended coaster. 8/10

:D :D
This is my dignature. For now.........
AstroDan

I feel like a bit of a hypocrite now as having commented how hideous SW is, I have it in my Signature. D'oh! :P

Incidentally, Dragons Fury just goes, yet again, to show how lacklustre Alton's theming has been for the last few years.
Ash

Few! Try 1998 onwards! 6 years of poor theming! Looking at Thorpe, Chessy and EU parks then you can see how little attention is payed towards theming at Alton. The Swines!
Matt 125

The Swines!
Have you been watching Big Brother's BM?

Anywho. . . yeh I agree about the theming at AT going downhill since 1998 and agree that they need to learn from their sister parks who seem to be getting the attention lately! Why do they think AT will cope without themeing and attention?

Matt :D
AstroDan

I disagree. 1999 was Ug Land and 2000 was Hex, both well themed and designed, no?

For me it's been 2001 onwards. Anyway I feel like i am havign this discussion on three threads at once.

Dragons Fury all the way.
Lauzi

I don't think Spinball is hideous at all. It is meant to be brightly coloured, it is a kiddies, fun coaster. They used bright colours to attract kids to it - to make them think as they enter the park "Woah, what's that?" which I think it does.

As for Dragon's Fury, it does look more attractive than Spinball but as for the ride itself, I wouldn't say it looks any better. Obviously, I can't judge completely as I haven't ridden it, but from the on-ride video, I'd say they look just as good as each other.

The Flume, Air and Rita are the only rides in Alton Towers that are badly themed IMO. Spinball is fine.
AstroDan

I think Spinball only looks hideous because of where it is. If it was in a land called 'Fun Factory' or 'Fun Street' or something, Spinball would be great. But in Adventureland, Adventure makesyou think of exploration and safari's and jungle's and things? it just looks out of place where it is really. If it had been dark green and brown, with a kind of more sophisticated theme, I think it would have been better. I like the ride - don't get me wrong, it's really fun - which IS what the theme suggests, but I judt don't think that it's visually ideal. Whether the public recognise this is however, hard to tell. They may not really care.
Ash

Well yes i think Ug Land was OK themed but not up to scratch when compared to other places.

And i dont class Hex as a particularly well themed attraction. Asking the builders to leave the scaffolding up is not well themed :P

Its not the theming that makes the attraction its the building itself. When you look at thea actuall theming all it is is scaffolding, pictures and statues with white draped over them. They couldnt even add an Animatronical Witch! Again the vault was themed ok. But its a madhouse, i mean it wasnt amazingly innovative. There is no exit theming and also the video room isnt themed. The octagon has a fan? and more scaffolding? Oh no theres a bookcase! I just dont walk out of the ride and think WOW!

Perhaps i raise my standards to high? But from Nemesis the bar seems to have dropped for Alton Towers. There not placing the bar high enough. Its like they thought, yup thats good enough. And its gradually gotten worse. You wouldnt get CATCF in 1994! It would be totally different.

Alton have gradually dropped their standards of theming since Nemesis. The opportunities they have to make world class attractions and the fluff it up! CATCF could of been brilliant but instead we get something thats below par. A bit of a bogey. Its like the emphasis is now placed on making "Europes" best resort. But they want to compare the theming on their rides to Thorpe Park? Phantasialand? Europa Park? There is no comparison! Standards have slipped when it comes to theming.

What Alton have failed to realise is that the difference between places like IOA, US, Busch Gardens, Disney and Alton isnt the rides. Its the theming! At these parks the theming immerses you. Your in another world completely! At Alton the themings weak, not detailed enough and lacks depth and attention to detailed!

Rant over
AstroDan

I think Hex is an excellent piece of work. I have read AT trip reports from European's who have visited other Mad Houses at, say Europa Park, and they say Hex is the best of them all. To me, Hex is brilliant - well themed, music is great, effects are great. All in all, Hex embodies what the Towers should be about - a great experience that you can remember. Sure it's scaffolding and stuff - but that's the theme they are going for! It is meant to be like that, and I think it's fantastic.

Otherwise, fair points - Thorpe is better, but putting in the same sentence as Phantasialand and Europa Park seems just a tad over-commending. :P
Anonymous

Personally, I've always thought Spinball looks quite good - it's just the location that's wrong. Hopefully, those fast growing pine trees should have it hidden within a few years. The ride itself is compact and, as Lauzi pointed out, has a real 'fun' feel to it.

Dragon's Fury is, IMO a much better ride than Spinball. Firstly, it's role in the park is very different - it's the biggie in Chessington, rather than acting as a support ride in the way Spinball does. It's theming and the entire 'Land of the Dragons' area are first class and unlike Spinball, it's spread out over a large area. It's a bit longer than Spinball and has a proper full first drop, plus a great airtime hill in the middle. On the downside, I'd have preferred it to have been able to get back to the station without the second lift hill, but that's about all that's wrong with it. It also never seems to get the huge queues Spinball does.

Chessington as a whole is a very underated park. Thorpe Park gets all the publicity because of it's terrific ride selection, but Chessington feels like a mini Alton Towers. You can't see the different areas until you're in them, it's quite hilly and there's so much to do there that you really need two days to do it justice and get to look around the zoo and various shows etc. Forget about thrilling rides and concentrate on themeing, atmosphere and general fun and you'll find that Chessington is every bit as good as Thorpe Park and Alton.
AstroDan

Well, I imagine the atmosphere of Chessington to be similar to that of AT: families, kids, teens and adults creating a nice even balance - wheras Thorpe is just full of certain age groups all after nothing but a thrill - which for me, makes for a bad ambience amongst guests.

This is one of the main reasons I would like to go to Chessington!
CGM

I don't think Spinball is hideous at all. It is meant to be brightly coloured, it is a kiddies, fun coaster. They used bright colours to attract kids to it - to make them think as they enter the park "Woah, what's that?" which I think it does.
That's Six Flags style which is what AT souldn't be about. Themed coasters should interact and be sympathetic with their surroundings and not have gourdy colour schemes like Spinball does. whilst not the ugliest coaster, it certainly isn't the prettiest with the whole track built on top of its self BPB style. There is no need for this.

A themed family or kiddie coaster should attract people through it's amazing theming not by its colour scheme
Last edited by CGM on Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDan

It really is a park of contrasts! SW is an eyesore, just compare to RMT - which is one of the best themed rides on park - and in the UK! RMT looks brilliant, and looks fun. Contrasts with SW visually although I give SW the credit, it does look like fun and IS fun at the end of the day.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Click

Yup, you can own some of your very own tiger crap direct from Chessington World of Adventures.

Well, I guess it's unique.

brings a whole new meaning to "buy our ****"
Craig

Hmm tiger poo ey? I'm no gardener or pest controller but £241 for year's supply of ****? Suppose it's all in the name of charidee though. Can you imagine taking a year's supply home in a hot car from CWoA though? Nasty!
Anonymous

I wonder whos bidded on it..

I guess its for charity, so its okay I suppose.. :lol:
Con

I WON!! I WON!! Wow this would be fun to throw at Chavs at Theme Parks.

Just kidding. I didn't win anything :cry: . Of course I'm suprised they got a whole years worth to Aution Off. Most of it goes in the McDonalds!

LONG POSTS GIVE ME HEADACHES
caffeine_demon

[quote=""Con""]I WON!! I WON!! Wow this would be fun to throw at Chavs at Theme Parks.

Just kidding. I didn't win anything :cry: . Of course I'm suprised they got a whole years worth to Aution Off. Most of it goes in the McDonalds![/quote]

Actually - it's probably more nutritious than the big macs!!