Accidents at Alton Towers

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
DrReeve

Trisnie wrote: Here is a relativity comprehensive world wide list
http://www.coasterforce.com/coasters/accidents 

Runaway Mine Train, Alton Towers, Staffs, UK
29 people were injured when the train separated and crashed into each other.

Rita: Queen of Speed, Alton Towers, Staffs, UK
A 12 year old girl claimed that the force of the ride broke both her wrists

Nemesis, Alton Towers, Staffs, England, UK
A young boy was struck by the train after he entered a restricted area. He suffered head injuries.
what was the Rita girl doing she must of done something so that all of the force of the launch was placed onto her wrists first. I don't know but if you sit that weirdly on a coaster. Your bound to get injured
Image credit to Lewis97
Hmv

DrReeve wrote:

A young boy was struck by the train after he entered a restricted area. He suffered head injuries.
what was the Rita girl doing she must of done something so that all of the force of the launch was placed onto her wrists first. I don't know but if you sit that weirdly on a coaster. Your bound to get injured
I think it's important to point out the word 'claimed' it broke her wrist, when I was younger I had had pain in my wrist after I fell and didn't go to hospital, then I took part in a school sports day and fell again. So I went to hospital this time to find I had Brocken my wrist, but whether I broke it the first time I fell or the second time I don't know.
Trisnie

Hmv wrote:
DrReeve wrote:

I think it's important to point out the word 'claimed' it broke her wrist, when I was younger I had had pain in my wrist after I fell and didn't go to hospital, then I took part in a school sports day and fell again. So I went to hospital this time to find I had Brocken my wrist, but whether I broke it the first time I fell or the second time I don't know.
I would highlight claimed as well I know Merlin have some strange publicity ideas  like the Swarm damaged test models I suspect some kind of stunt or insurance claim!
Owen

Trisnie wrote:
Hmv wrote:
DrReeve wrote: what was the Rita girl doing she must of done something so that all of the force of the launch was placed onto her wrists first. I don't know but if you sit that weirdly on a coaster. Your bound to get injured
I would highlight claimed as well I know Merlin have some strange publicity ideas  like the Swarm damaged test models I suspect some kind of stunt or insurance claim!
Tbh nor thorpe or merlin knew about this stunt until the ride end as the marketing team did it without consulting the rest of staff, this caused thorpe having threats from B&M of sueing as it made one of there coasters look bad

Source:main engineer at TP
bealyboy

On 8 May 2012, a 20-year-old man climbed over safety fences and accessed the underground ride area.[4] He reportedly dropped into the hole from which the rollercoaster track re-emerges from the underground tunnel, walked through the underground section and emerged on a ledge where the track enters the ground. Neither he or guests on the ride were harmed following the ride cars being held at the boarding station.[5] He was arrested for a public order offence, and the ride returned to normal operation the following day.

This was from wiki, it's on tt news 2012 as well
SMILE.ALWAYS
NecronomiconUK

I remember hearing a story a few years ago that a girl had been injured on Nemesis due to some kid throwing a coin at the train as it went through the first helix. Any truth to that?
Last edited by NecronomiconUK on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenzie2012

On the discussion of Rita, I was there in 2009 with a group of mates and had ridden Rita about 12 times on the bounce right at the end of the day as it was dead and walk on.
On the back seat on what was going to be one of the last rides my friend put his arms in the arm and dislocated his shoulder on launch.
We spent hours in A&E at Stoke hospital whilst he was sorted out. It must be a frequent thing as the first thing they did was get the photo printed to show we had our arms in the air and get him to sign a disclaimer for it.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Mulcracker

I took the skin off my knuckles on RMT coming into the station, I was riding a bit too 'casually' with my arms hanging out  :lol:

I don't think it was a devastating accident for the park to deal with
bensaund

Wow print the photo to cover themselves, I guess they do get a lot of people who try it on.

So did he get a copy of the photo too? :-)
If you go down to the woods today
submission2001

I heard about blackpool pleausebeach. I know it nothing to to with alton. I heard one of boy is dead in space mission 1 or 2 after the ride finish when he have a heart attack really really bad
CALLUM
tcw1993

little em wrote: is there anywhere on the rides that you can actually hit yourself, ooh thats not right, i mean can you whack an arm or leg on something whilst on the ride if you stick it out too far?
I dont want to try am just interested.
I wouldnt try it cause i have and know it hurts. if you have your arms either up or to the left on RMT, you could break a wrist with ease, and im not THAT tall about 6' and it would of broke my lower arm if i hadnt of moved it.
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
bensaund

Next time your on the RMT, look out there is one support with lots and lots of hand marks on it
If you go down to the woods today
Joshysqaushy

submission2001 wrote: I heard about blackpool pleausebeach. I know it nothing to to with alton. I heard one of boy is dead in space mission 1 or 2 after the ride finish when he have a heart attack really really bad
He didn't have a heart attack, he undid his seat-belt while the ride was in motion & whacked his head on a beam resulting in his death  :(
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER:
UPDATES: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... 8&start=40
leammiles

I don't think I'd really call these injuries...

on RMT ive come off twice with my hands stinging...there are a couple of places in the ride where trees/bushes are within reach...me and my friends have competitions to see who can grab the most leaves on the way round...that can sting if you hit a branch rather than a leaf.

The other time on RMT was when a ride op on the platform high 5'd me on one of the passes through the station, you probably only go about 15 mph through there, but coupled with the fact he put some force into it...it really hurt.  Had finger marks on my hand all day!
X/: no way out

themightyman wrote: my mate said when there was no fence by the nemesis track so people could go by it. this man lost
his cap on nemesis and someone went go get it and then got hit by nemesis

which is a load of bull then
Actully what happened was a man walked into a restricted area and got hit by one of the nemesis trains

Credit to Lewis 97 for the awesome signature!

Don't get corrected get Xecuted