The Story of Alton Towers DVD

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Scream

First of all, has anyone got this. What's on it? Is it worth a coaster enthusiast buying it or is it just about the history of the site? Where at AT can this be purchased? Are there any other dvd's for sale at AT which focuses on the rides?
AstroDan

It's good, but it's littered with errors. However, from a simple DVD point of view, i would reommend it. It has good features on Oblivion and Hex particularly although a lot of the footage is nothing new.

It cannot be bought at Alton Towers, buy it from Joyland Books (google it) - ATA have also had them in the past.
Ash

It can be bought from Alton Towers, as its where i got my copy from. You can pick them up in Towers Trading
Big D

So you can get it from Towers trading? When you say littered with errors how do you mean? And finally whats it cost?
I'm very interested in picking myself a copy up.
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
DiogoJ42

I'd recomend it. Even my mates who think my coaster obsession is sad have enjoyed watching it (although it took some persuading!)
It doesn't have much on Rita, but this was brand new at the time it was made, so it may not have been possible to get as much filming done.
The most obvious errors to me are the inclusion of rides like Energiser, claiming it is still in Ug Land!
It has some great interviews with J.W. and some wonderfuly arty montages of Oblivion. If you like AT, you won't regret buying this DVD.
AstroDan

[quote=""titler121""]It can be bought from Alton Towers, as its where i got my copy from. You can pick them up in Towers Trading[/quote]

Oh, gosh i didn't know that! How much are they going for there?

:?
Anonymous

I'm a bit hit and miss with this DVD to be honest.

It can't seem to make up it's mind who it's meant to appeal to and therefore ends up a bit of a mish-mash.

As an AT fan, you HAVE to buy it and you will enjoy it, but there are so many times where you're thinking 'Ooh, they could have had this and they could have had that'.

I don't like the naff colour effects during the Oblivion sequence - I want to see it as it is, thanks, not like some dire 80s music video. Also, the inevitable appearance of Andy 'bloody' Hine is as irritating as all his other appearances anywhere. There's too much Hex for me and nowhere near enough Rita and, as has been pointed out before, why show footage of rides that weren't there at the time of the DVD's release?

The footage of Corky's construction and opening make it for me, as does JW's appearances. I also like the old footage of the park through the years, the home movies, the really old movies and the John Broome stuff.

Oh yeah, it is also good for an unintentional giggle as numerous coaster fans (I presume) talk about Corky as if it's the best coaster ever! You wonder if they've ever been on any of AT's other rides. And when you watch the Duel zombie thing, it's a bit rubbish really when taken away from the context of the ride.

In all, I'd give it 6 out of 10 when considering what it could have been. But seeing as it's good that somebody has actually taken time to create a DVD all about AT and it's history, then it's a 9 out of 10.

And I mentioned it before once, but does that man who says 'This place is really wicked' realise how sad that sounds coming from a man of his age in 2006?
Scream

I was in Towers Trading today and could see no sign of the DVD.
Tom M

These are also available at the Alton Towers Hotel for £14.99.

Tom. :)
Mart9876

My bros got me it for my B'Day back in January, and I've watched it about five times. There is a lot to say about it, though. I didn't like the way they had Nemesis about half way through. I mean they could've done it like the less intense rides first, eg. talking about Duel, Energizer(although that should have been refered to in the DVD in the past tense), RMT, Blade and Corkscrew. Then they should've had in this exact order: Ripsaw, Oblivion, Rita, AIR and finally Nemesis! That would've been the proper layout.

If you ask me, 'The Story of Alton Towers' isn't the best title for it in the world, because there is hardly anything to do with the past 10 years of AT and that there should've been a lil bit more construction footage. There should've been a menu with scene selection (it would appear to me that this DVD would've been one of the easiest in the world to chapterise) and bonus features with extended interviews with JW and the video of Nemesis' back story! But anyways . By the by, did everyone else who bought this DVD get it on a purple DVD-R? It just makes me fell ripped off! :? :? :?
Ash

It seems to lack in all the juicy and interesting details we were all hoping for. And instead seems rather brief.

I think it could of been far, far better, something of true quality. Looking at popular rides from the past. Construction, how the park and rides came to be along with ideas for the future. But nope, we get something that we could very easily see at a day out at Alton Towers.
Dan K

[quote=""AstroDan""]It cannot be bought at Alton Towers, buy it from Joyland Books (google it) - ATA have also had them in the past.[/quote]
As mentioned by others, it has been spotted in Towers Trading before, though I think it's only ever on the counter on the left when you first go in from the top end of Towers Street.

The DVD is currently back in stock on ATA if you're interested.

For me, I'm glad I bought the DVD, but I share the view that it could've been better. What made it for me was the section on Corkscrew - particularly its construction and the stories shared by Les Davies et all about it.
Lon

[quote=""Mart9876""] . By the by, did everyone else who bought this DVD get it on a purple DVD-R? It just makes me fell ripped off! :? :? :?[/quote]

Why would this make you feel ripped off??!?
Crofty

[quote=""Uncle Dan""][quote=""Mart9876""] . By the by, did everyone else who bought this DVD get it on a purple DVD-R? It just makes me fell ripped off! :? :? :?[/quote]

Why would this make you feel ripped off??!?[/quote]

I was under the impression that it was being professionally produced :? especially after looking at the price.

:) :)
Anonymous

Yeah, mine's a purple DVD-R and although I wouldn't say I've been ripped off (heck, it plays okay), it does come across as a bit cheap - just like Tussauds themeing then :D
jam&lob

I would feel ripped off if I got a purple DVD-R. Some people might think it's a pirate copy, though all that matters is that it plays well.
Please visit The Online Games Directory
http://www.freewebs.com/togd/
Mart9876

My point is that joyland books could've copied it and be making a couple of quick bucks! :?: :arrow: :oops:
Anonymous

maybe they not very nice if they did that though :x
little em

sorry but ive got another question also.

Could someone who is familiar with the alton towers story dvd and music please tell me what music is used on it? All the songs if possible. Or maybe we could put our heads together to come up with an answer and come up with an entire listing? You know the ones the "hands up hands up who wants to die..." or however it goes.

Thanks again, hope this isnt too much to ask?
Khanage

Often smaller productions like this would be a DVD-R. It can be more cost effective than sending them to the press if they are only gonna sell a few. I don't know this for sure because I have no idea how many they have sold.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.