Rides You Never Rode (but wish you had)

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
mezza

Are there any retired rides at AT that you never got to ride, for whatever reason?

I always wish I rode the 4 Man Bob. It remains the only Alton Towers coaster that I never rode, and for that reason, I wish I had. It was there when I first visited the park, and I was (just) old enough and big enough to ride, but I didn't, for some reason.

And now, alas, it's gone.

I'm sure it wasn't a great ride - didn't even look as good as The Beast or The Mouse, but even so, it'd have been nice to ride it.

I'm just glad I got a chance to ride such legendary rides as the Thunder Looper and The Black Hole, and the Pirate Ship, when it was the Pirate Ship, and when it was still a decent ride.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Anonymous

Well, I'm sure you're already aware that Space Invader at Blackpool Pleasure Beach is the same model of ride but in the dark. So if you've ridden that then you've ridden a 4 Man Bob.

4 Man Bob was one of my favourites however. I often think that Spinball is like 4 Man Bob - The Next Generation.

:)
bigblade40

I wish I had, had the chance to ride thunderlooper
bigblade40
Squiggles

[quote=""Shockadelica""]Well, I'm sure you're already aware that Space Invader at Blackpool Pleasure Beach is the same model of ride but in the dark. So if you've ridden that then you've ridden a 4 Man Bob.
[/quote]

Although scrictly speaking the Space Invader is no longer really a 4 Man Bob, since it's bobs have now been replaced by three seater cars, which don't give the same experiance.

I don't think there are any 4 Man Bobs left now, since the one from AT has also had it bobs replaced. The 4 man bob seems to have been another victim of the safety police - oh well! :(
Edwardo..... move me!
Craig

Well I wish I rode Thunder Looper and Black Hole, I was about 2 months too late to ride the Black Hole when I first went to Alton Towers. Absolutely gutted!
Danzaw*nk

I wish i could have rode Thunder Looper and The Beast :).

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
Anonymous

[quote=""Squiggles""][quote=""Shockadelica""]Well, I'm sure you're already aware that Space Invader at Blackpool Pleasure Beach is the same model of ride but in the dark. So if you've ridden that then you've ridden a 4 Man Bob.
[/quote]

Although scrictly speaking the Space Invader is no longer really a 4 Man Bob, since it's bobs have now been replaced by three seater cars, which don't give the same experiance.

I don't think there are any 4 Man Bobs left now, since the one from AT has also had it bobs replaced. The 4 man bob seems to have been another victim of the safety police - oh well! :([/quote]

To be fair, that was probably for the best. Squeezing four people into the car was uncomfortable anyway and it was a case of breathing in and holding your breath for a minute during the ride.

But we were happy to be tortured on rides, back in the day.
Squiggles

I did think that when looking at photos of the Old Space Invader - doesn't look too comfortable. It suddenly makes so much sense why all the publicity shots of the 4 Man Bob show children riding it!
Edwardo..... move me!
Matt 125

I would have really liked to have ridden Thunder Looper to see what all the hype etc. was about. Also, all the coasters in Coaster Corner, just to see what they were like. . .

Matt :D
sammie04

I wish I got the chance to ride Black Hole I never got the chance due to I was to scared to when I was younger and I was ill when I got my final chance :( .
Anonymous

[quote=""Mattez125""]I would have really liked to have ridden Thunder Looper to see what all the hype etc. was about. Also, all the coasters in Coaster Corner, just to see what they were like. . .

Matt :D
[/quote]

The Beast was cool! Thunderlooper was cool (although, controversially, I will say that it was a good ride, but it wasn't as brilliant as some make out - the launch on Rita is better and Air is a superior coaster. I'll go and hide now).

But to be honest, The Mouse was the most over-rated of the retired rides. If you've ridden one of those spinning mouses (mice?) like what they 'ave on the South Pier at Blackpool, then you've already enjoyed a better ride. The only real nostalgia trip of both The Beast and The Mouse come from the fact that it was an area of the park that was once full of life, being the focal point of the park for a couple of years, the views from the top of the rides were fantastic and you can now no longer visit the area as part of your AT day and it's sad to see those photos of the area today, which still give away the evidence that it was once a thriving part of the park.

[quote=""sammie04""]I wish I got the chance to ride Black Hole I never got the chance due to I was to scared to when I was younger and I was ill when I got my final chance :( .[/quote]

Now THAT is criminal!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iriderides101

Blackhole and thunderlooper.
MikeB

The only ride i would have liked to ride at Alton Towers but never did was the beast. I only rode on the thunderlooper once, that was my first major ride and i was probably about 11 or 12.

I would have liked to ride the thunderlooper more than once, but i can remember the launch and the loop. A classic Alton Towers ride.
phillipvass

Nickelodeon: Outta Control :) Never even considered going into it, and still have no idea what the hell it was! :)
Joe-07

Alton Mouse
1001 Nights
Thunder Looper
Alton Beast

They all look like they were great rides, unfortunately I did not have the chance to ride any of these :-(
Wes

Thunder Looper and The Haunted House.

Never rode the thunder looper as I was a year late at going, and even if I did go when it was there I would have been too small :cry: . Also, I was really scared of the haunted house . . . . without going in it . . . . proves the themeing works aye!

Mugz x

:rock:
jam&lob

I wish I could of ridden Thunder Looper and the Black Hole. TH closed when I was only a couple of years old and this year is the first season I visted Alton Towers.
Please visit The Online Games Directory
http://www.freewebs.com/togd/
Cobra_Roll

Haunted House and Thunder Looper.

I did ride HH once when I was 5 or 6, But was too scared to actually look at anything.

Now that Im older, I would love to see what it was like back in its heyday!

And Thunder looper for obvious reasons :wink:
<3-roll. Geddit?
Lauzi

Last edited by Lauzi on Tue May 17, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly

The Haunted House and Blackhole.

Oh yeh and Toyland Tours, it looked like so much fun! Also the swans, i remember seeing them on the adverts when i was little and begging my parents to take me, but they didn't :(

All these rides dispeared before i got the chance to finally visit :(