Muslim Day - September 17th

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Nathan

I just read the Sun newspaper and they have an article about a Muslim only day at AT! What has this world come to? Its on September 15th i think and anyone who isnt Muslim cannot buy tickets. I think this disgusting and pathetic. AT said that they hope the muslim communities can finally go to places where they wouldnt normally go, what! Muslims can come to the park if they want but given them a day to themselves is apalling. Imagine the fuss they would kick up if it was a Christian-only day! This is not right! :evil:
ryani210693

I'm gonna have to agree with you there! Shocking. :roll:
Wes

Its not actualy an event held by Alton Towers. The park has been booked out by a compainy called Islamic Leisure. (more details on link) The park will have no Gambling machines running nor will Alcohol be serverd on park, there will be selected play areas open and there will be Islamic stalls around the park.

I see no problem with this as its not the idea of Alton Towers. If the park was to open to the public, I could see problems with certain people about the stalls and certain things closing.

Mugz x

:rock:
Nathan

The extremes they are going to though, prayer areas! Come on, seriously. Islamic stalls, no gambling, alcohol! Jeez, they're only going to a theme park.
MJT

Well the organisers have just hired the park out for the day and it would be no different if anybody else hired the park, Cadbury for example. They are only allowing people into the park that buy tickets through the organisers website. In 'The Sun' it also says that anybody is welcome to buy tickets for the day, it will be a muslim style day though so if you don't think you'll like that, then don't go.
Nathan

No anybody isnt allowed to buy tickets for the day, thats the problem. Somebody wanted tickets for his mates birthday but he cant get any due to this.
Redcoat Jase

Notice how it was all different when people posted about a 'Gay' event - Just because it's Muslims that are doing it, and people consider it to be racist if you dont agree with it people attitudes towards the idea are a little different!

I don't believe that Alton Towers should hire the park out to ANY minority group be it Christian, Great British Bird Watching Society, Alcoholics Anonomous or Gay - I think if Alton Towers do hire the park out they should at least have the decency to do it in the closed Season.
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum
ashayling

I think this is totally out of order. No matter what anyone says, this is racist. Imagine the problems if if were a Christian only day. I know AT are just letting out the park, but surely they can allow racist activities to go on in it. I'm sure they would think harder before allowing a Chrisitian only day. I think Alton Towers are afraid of saying no to the rules set by whos hiring it as they are scared they will be called racist if they say no.
Adam

But the diffrence is, on the gay event anyone could go. They wernt limiting it to only gay people. This thing is only open to Muslims.

I dont want to sound racist, but i hate the idea and like Jase said, it should be happening in the closed season!
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
james0507

its stupid, why do they need to have certain people only day its like saying you cant come to my party because your jewish witch isnt at all fair
Gashead

Just imagine the out rage, when on for example July 27 you open the sun and see the headline "Chirstian Only Day At Family Theme Park" There would be a total "racism" issue on the hands of Alton Towers. Things like this REALLY piss me off because, it would never happen.
Last edited by Gashead on Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashayling

Will staff have to abide by the Muslim 'rules' with food, ect.?
oldgitBEN

Jase took the words right out of my mouth.

Several weeks ago a gay day was mentioned, people here were saying oo thats brilliant and all in support. Now when we bring a religion into the situation (and I relegion I dont think anyone here is a member of) the tables have turned.

Sadly we live in a society where specialst groups are appropriate, and its great to see people saying whats the need/point - we are moving forward and people are seeing that it should just be an "everyone welcome"n policy.

I dont like the idea, but i cant see people being turned away for the fact they arent muslim.

With relation to AT not having the games on and alcohol places open why pay an electricity and staff bill for something thats not going to be used (well perhaps the tavern I know some muslims that drink).
Wes

This day isn't actualy anything to do with race. Islamic leisure is a group for Muslims go to visit places together. Its really no different than TTF taking over the place for a day.
Remeber the Ebay thing where you could run the park for a day? They closed the park off to everyone apart from the Winner of the ebay bid.
I really don't see a problem with this.

Mugz x

Nathan

I agree with most of you with this Christian-only event, they would kick up a right fuss if we had one. Its not like Muslims are not welcome when its open to the general public!
LiamC

Just imagine the out rage, when on for example July 27 you open the sun and see the headline "Chirstian Only Day At Family Theme Park" There would be a total "racism" issue on the hands of Alton Towers. Things like this REALLY piss me off because, it would never happen. I might turn up on the day dressed in black, cover my whole body up and walk in just saying allah allah allah! They would have to let me in
I agree with Craig totally on this, its proposterous! Now some people wont agrre with me on this, but if they live in our country then they should abbided by our rules! Now that doesnt really have much to do with this event, but like Craig said, if there was a Christian only day like this, they would play hell about it! And what if families turn up, only to be turnt away at the gate? They will be alot of upset children and angry parents!

Liam =)
Gashead

[quote=""liam_123123""]Now some people wont agrre with me on this, but if they live in our country then they should abbided by our rules!
Liam =)[/quote]

Wouldnt go that far mate :shock:
Wes

Its getting a tad too Racist for me here. Lets not be too harsh here guys.
I havn't seen anywhere its not open to the public, but -

"Alton Towers reserves the rights to close for Special events"

Edit - 17th September - Sold out/Unavailable.

Mugz x

Gashead

To get tickets for the day you have to go though Islam leisure or something and Alton Towers are going to advertise the day is unavalible.
Locker

The full article from Towers Nerd reads:

[quote=""Towers Nerd""]On Sunday 17th September, the whole park will be open to Muslims only for an event which has sparked race rows.

Up to 28,000 are expected at Alton Towers on September 17th when there will be no music, booze or gambling. Instead there will be prayer areas, Muslim stalls and all food served will be halal.

Organisers, Islamic Leisure, have billed it the first National Muslim Fun Day and tickets can only be brought through their website. Non-Muslims phoning the Staffordshire theme park have been refused tickets.

One George Hughes, 19, who rand up for 15 tickets for a pal's birthday said: "I couldn't believe it. It's the only day we can go, yet I can't because I'm not Muslim. Can you imagine all the fuss if there was a Christians only day?"

George of Crayford, Kent, added: "My Muslim friends think it's outrageous. What's the world coming to when people are being banned from flying the St George's flag yet this sort of day is allowed? If it must be held, then why not on a week-day rather than a busy weekend?"

The event is widely promoted on the internet and the Muslim Public Affairs Committee declared it "exclusively for our brothers and sisters". But some Muslims have condemned the idea. One university student on a Muslim web-site forum said: "What next. an all Muslims shopping day out in the Trafford Centre in Manchester?"

Abid Hussan of Islamic Leisure insisted the day was open to all faiths, although Islamic laws would apply. He added: "There will be no smoking, no alcohol and halal food only. We're trying to get Muslims to go to this day because they wouldn't normally go somewhere like Alton Towers. We're trying to integrate Muslims into the wider community. Obviously people can come down and see the way we live. It will be a peaceful family environment."

Alton Towers said any organisation could hire the park for a day. A spokeswoman said: "We make no distinction regarding sexuality, religious, ethnic or lifestyle choices." She confirmed tickets for the day were now available only through Islamic Leisure and Alton Towers would promote the fact that the day had been booked. She added: "As a general rule, there will be no admission on the day to guests who have not booked through the organisation in advance."

Source: The Sun[/quote]

Regards,
Mark