Forget the postcards, why not send me a DVD instead?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
ashayling

Just found this in todays Mail On Sunday:

Full Size Image Here

Seems quite interesting. What do you think?
Ash

Interesting!

Although a bit creepy! Your being watched all the time! It should also eliminate people entering the park who have not paid. And also could this be the new £500,000 entry system we were told about not long ago?

I think i like it? Im not to sure! What is it just a video of you bein stalked by cctv!?
themeparkfreak

uh, although that would be cool, its kinda creepy, like titler said, being watched all the time.
Williscroft

I love it. I will deforantly be getting one next year. How cool will it be to go on a day out with you family or mates and have the highlights of the day recored for you to watch back when ever you like. And the price is great so i think it will be extremely popular. :D
John

Its a good idea but I don't think the DVD you get at the end of it is actually going to be any good, presumably they can't record sound and there's no telling how they are going to edit the footage. It probably won't bear any relation to how you actually remember the day.

I might buy one anyway just to find out though.
Lauzi

I love the idea, but I'm a bit confused. It says it will be 30 minutes long but it's recording you all day. Does it just take the first 30 minutes of your day or do they edit it?
Williscroft

They will edit it other wise there would be no reason recording you all day if they only took the first 30 mins. They will most likly edit it so that it shows you on a variety of rides and if theres any great looking moments like a group of your mates all chilling on the field in the summer etc :)
Ash

It seems stupid thought to want a CCTV viewpoint of you and your family walking round the park? Could you imagine how many cameras it will require to get you in all the areas of the park! Its a stupid idea.

It will look more like ChavWatch sorry Crimewatch UK than a postcard of your trip. I think what would be better is something like a camera in Towers Trading where you and your family stand infront and record a message which then puts it straight onto CD and you then have the option of posting it or emailing it. It could have a cool an intro and outro. Showing highlights of the park.

A better idea in my opinion. Like a photobooth but a video! Memories Booth!
Adam

Wow its just like big brother, you can buy a hightlight show of your day. Can't really see how it would work, how can cameras watch everyone in park for atleast 30 mins through a day?
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
AstroDan

How on earth would they put cameras everywhere? How is this logistically possible?
Rita 2005

A similar system was installed on Corkscrew in 1997 by Kodak. It tracked the train around the ride using 16 cmaeras and produced a 2 minute video of you on the ride.
Anonymous

[quote=""Adäm""]Wow its just like big brother, you can buy a hightlight show of your day. Can't really see how it would work, how can cameras watch everyone in park for atleast 30 mins through a day?[/quote]

I was thinking about Big Brother too.

'Hour 3 and most of the visitormates are in the queue for Rita. Shockadelica and Kaycee are in Hex, talking to each other about Adam. Earlier, Ade and Gashead were in McDonalds eating burgers.'

'Alton Towers this is Davina, you are live on your £14.99 DVD please do not swear. Unbeknown to you all, viewers have been voting this week and one of you is about to be evicted from the park. . .'
Ash

Lol!

Ahhhh good old Shock Humor Back!

Yes I can picture it now.

"The visitor mates have only £1.50 per person to buy there Big Mac Meal because they failed to complete the Zipwire Task :P "

or

"The Visitor mates have been on Nemesis for 7 hours. Who will leave the ride last to win the luxury item they decided to take to the park with them?"

:P
Anonymous

[quote=""titler121""]Lol!

Ahhhh good old Shock Humor Back!
[/quote]

I wasn't aware it had left :-?

If it was a busy day at the park, it'd be a pretty boring DVD wouldn't it. 25 minutes of queueing highlights and 5 minutes of rides.
Adam

[quote=""Shockadelica""]'Hour 3 and most of the visitormates are in the queue for Rita. Shockadelica and Kaycee are in Hex, talking to each other about Adam. Earlier, Ade and Gashead were in McDonalds eating burgers.'

'Alton Towers this is Davina, you are live on your £14.99 DVD please do not swear. Unbeknown to you all, viewers have been voting this week and one of you is about to be evicted from the park. . .'[/quote]

Lol! :lol: Exactly!

I still can't see it working. . .
A similar system was installed on Corkscrew in 1997 by Kodak. It tracked the train around the ride using 16 cmaeras and produced a 2 minute video of you on the ride.
Has anyone got one of these, and how long did this system last?
themeparkfreak

Quote:

Has anyone got one of these, and how long did this system last
I was thinking a similar thing.
Anonymous

[quote=""Adäm""]
Has anyone got one of these, and how long did this system last?[/quote]

If the cameras were installed onto Corkscrew's trains, then about 27 seconds if that.
Adam

:wink: You know what i mean! :lol:
haydn!

[quote=""titler121""]It should also eliminate people entering the park who have not paid.[/quote]

How? :-?

I think people are getting the wrong idea, the system won't record every guest all day, as they won't all be given wristbands.

People will probably have the option to buy these extra at the start of their day, as an optional extra. The camera's will follow those that choose to buy the DVD not everyone, otherwise this would produce thousands of hours of useless footage day, and would in no way be cost effective.

There are likely to be camera's at stragegic points, maybe attraction loading stations, certain areas of the park some rides will be easier to place them on than others. Rollercoasters would be difficult, but the flume, rapids, CATCF slower stlye rides it could work.
madmanwill

someone posted on ata a website address about a system of this kind and it says that there is only 3-5 minutes of recorded footage of the guest and all of the rest is stock prerecorded footage.

http://forums.towersalmanac.com/index.p ... opic=12759

http://www.yourdayvideo.com/Process.htm

[quote=""www.yourdayvideo.com""]
This VideoCard gives each patron the option of allowing YourDay Video Technologies to assemble throughout the day a very personalized product: a professionally produced, 30-minute DVD containing about 25 minutes of stock video of the particular theme park in action — including rides, attractions, characters, and special events. But most importantly, interspersed throughout this dynamic video program is an additional 4-5 minutes of actual, personalized video of the customer and his or her family experiencing selected rides and attractions throughout the day.
[/quote]

Will