Thorpe Park 2008 - What could it be?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Kaz

Well we all know that Thorpe Park plan to build a new coaster for the 2008 season. The only thing is that we dont know what type of coaster it will be.
Will it be built by B&M or by Intamin? We don't know!

Word has it that construction starts at the end of next season and planning should be going in between now and August.

Do you think this is true? If so what type of roller coaster will it be?

Your views!
Anonymous

Yes, nice going Kaz, we need a topic on this!

I believe it is true, they are going to start filling in the water with land around Cananda Creek next year.

I'm sure nobody yet knows what kind the coaster is going to be. Remember though, if the guests love the type of coaster, they will give it to them. For example, people say TP have copied AT with Nemesis Inferno but at the end of the day, the visitors of TP love a good old B&M inverted coaster. Therefore, i reckon, due to the popularity of Air, the fact that it's not too much of an intense ride, and that children who are tall enough to ride it love to go on there, that TP may fill Canada Creek with a B&M flyer. Would be great, have it flying around the back and through the area of loggers leap. Also, it could fly over the big lake which would be quite an experience.

If not that, i doubt TP would build another launched coaster as they want their park to have a variety of coasters. AT has inverted, dive machine flying, spinning and launched so they are varietied which is a good thing. Currently TP has a normal steel :-? (that's what i'll call it :P), an inverted and the awaited opening of a launched. In this case i do not think TP would build any more of those kinds. I'm not sure what they would build. At the moment, the only card on the table IMO is a B&M flyer. Unless they go for a world first.
Kaz

You say they will build what the public want. I think the public would have a 4D over a flyer any day! But then again I think TP would like to stick with B&M and Intamin.

Could I also request some birds-eye photos of TP?
altontowerskid

I Personally am hoping for a Intamin Coaster.

Maybe a launched Coaster or maybe a 4D but i think that would be hoping too much.

A Lim-Launched Coaster would fit in nice. :D :D

Dan.K :P
Anonymous

The public want a nice, new unique experience like no other. Something that will remind them of Thorpe Park (and that's what Thorpe should aim for also!).

Thorpe can't keep looking over at other parks, seeing what is successful, and adding it to theirs. I see it as cheating. Like doing a copy of a song. Their park is vastly becoming a shadow of other parks creations and that's why I can't respect it in any form. Apart from X:NWO (coinsidently a very bad coaster) every ride there is just a development or compromise of others. I want to see what they can produce and what'll make their park special, not just some bad adaption of Nemesis and the world's smallest world's tallest and fastest rollercoaster :roll:.

Not meaning to be a sh!t stirrer, but I feel strongly that Thorpe butt out of other peoples creations and find something unique to their own park. It may do them some good also, they can build an honest ride, and earn more respect and less comparisons (I think N:I made people respect how good Nemesis is somewhat!) from guests.

So, 2007, Uniquness :o! Not Air Inferno :roll:.
Anonymous

[quote=""JerMain.e""]not just some bad adaption of Nemesis[/quote]

It was not an adaptation of Nemesis. I have said before, the only similarity is the name. The track layout is totally different and so is the theming. Get over the whole TP copied AT by getting a B&M inverted coaster and naming it Nemesis Inferno.

Anyway, the only picture i found where you can kind of see Canada Creek is the following but it's not from a great point.
That all i got
:-?
Anonymous

It was not an adaptation of Nemesis. I have said before, the only similarity is the name. The track layout is totally different and so is the theming. Get over the whole TP copied AT by getting a B&M inverted coaster and naming it Nemesis Inferno.

With Nemesis Inferno they took the rides popularity and marketed their own ride with it. They took every aspect of the ride apart from the layout (which would've been stupid) . I was more refering to Collosus though, which is a clone with a few invertions, and of course Stealth :roll:.
Kaz

[quote=""JerMain.e""]The public want a nice, new unique experience like no other. Something that will remind them of Thorpe Park (and that's what Thorpe should aim for also!).

Thorpe can't keep looking over at other parks, seeing what is successful, and adding it to theirs. I see it as cheating. Like doing a copy of a song. Their park is vastly becoming a shadow of other parks creations and that's why I can't respect it in any form. Apart from X:NWO (coinsidently a very bad coaster) every ride there is just a development or compromise of others. I want to see what they can produce and what'll make their park special, not just some bad adaption of Nemesis and the world's smallest world's tallest and fastest rollercoaster :roll:.

Not meaning to be a sh!t stirrer, but I feel strongly that Thorpe butt out of other peoples creations and find something unique to their own park. It may do them some good also, they can build an honest ride, and earn more respect and less comparisons (I think N:I made people respect how good Nemesis is somewhat!) from guests.

So, 2007, Uniquness :o! Not Air Inferno :roll:.[/quote]

So what you are saying is that every park has to build an amazing new type of coaster? So once one flyer has been built no other park can buy one from B&M? Okkkkk
Anonymous

No, but it's rather obvious that if Thorpe built a Flying Coaster, Air and it's popularity would be the initial idea behing it - which I personally see as stealing an original idea because of it's popularity in said park, and marketing it in theirs knowing it'll be successful. Clever, yet very cunning, sly and ultimatley lazy.

But anyway, just what I feel :) . For 2008 I'd like for an Hyper coaster or something simular. Not too sure whether such a coaster is at all feasble, but I think some mega air-time hills would be very suited to the park. If not, then a floorless would also be amazing. A nice, smooth one, not too fast or intense (Scream! at SFMM was generally a bit crap because of the latter).
Nick

I've heard a flying coaster rumour flying around the internet for '08. I think it should be something very different though, we should see a world frist element hopefully if enough money is invested
Kaz

No, but it's rather obvious that if Thorpe built a Flying Coaster, Air and it's popularity would be the initial idea behing it - which I personally see as stealing an original idea because of it's popularity in said park, and marketing it in theirs knowing it'll be successful. Clever, yet very cunning, sly and ultimatley lazy.
It's called using your head. The park was set up to make money and they have seen what Air did for AT so the chances are they will follow. If TP was to build a flyer I think they would build it tall and fast unlike Air.

I also hate floorless coasters. I have also been on Scream! at SFMM and yes the coaster was fun but I didn't even notice we had no floor. The money could be spent alot better.
Ketchup

It won't be a floorless it's too similar to Colossus.

I am expecting either a Tatsu style flyer, a hyper around 180ft tall or possibly an S&S 4D just like Nagashima SpaLand http://www.towerstimesforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10005 however I doubt that Thorpe or even Tussauds for that matter are going to be rushing out to buy another S&S ride after the technical glitches of Slammer and Rush.

I really have no idea what this new ride is, I just want to see a decent sized coaster that wouldn't look out of place in a typical Six Flag's park, (Just as long as it isn't built on a carpark!)
Anonymous

[quote=""JerMain.e""]No, but it's rather obvious that if Thorpe built a Flying Coaster, Air and it's popularity would be the initial idea behing it - which I personally see as stealing an original idea because of it's popularity in said park, and marketing it in theirs knowing it'll be successful. Clever, yet very cunning, sly and ultimatley lazy. [/quote]

Would you say that that's what Tatsu is doing? Everybody is now more interested in Tatsu, and read the topic for, Air - eat this. http://towerstimesforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9677
I was reading what you posted, you seem to really be against Thorpe Park. I know SFMM is on the other side of the world but still, it's already taking people's faith in Air.
TP do not care on whether another park has the same coaster IMO. What they (should) care about is having a good attendance and great park for all ages. At the end of the day, they need to make a profit. A flyer is a ride which can be riden by young thrill seekers. Therefore, this will attract more families and therefore, more income. I don't care whether they get a ride which is a blattant clone of something (which i haven't riden), the point is, i want to ride a coaster and enjoy it. TP do not intend to completely clone any coaster from anywhere. Every ride experience is different.

You say project stealth is a copy, well it's not everyday that somebody over in Britain gets to visit New Jersey. Remember that
Anonymous

Meh, I have no respect for Thorpe, but don't blatently bash. I justify all my negative opinions whether you choose to respect them or not.

Tatsu is in LA, in a Six Flags theme park. It is a very different situation. Kinda naive to think the same princibles apply in a park about 2 hours away in a theme park run by the same immediate company.
Sazzle

danzaman, Jermain.E may not share the same ideas about TP as you do, but his opinion is still valid, whether you like it or not. He has justified his points, just as you have, therefore you're both equal.

I wouldn't be too happy if TP did get a Flyer, though I wouldn't complain if it were to be on the more intense side. It may seem like Thorpe have copied Stealth from America, but I know a lot of people who only know of it from what I've told them - they don't have access to the Internet and certainly will never get the chance to visit America. Thorpe is a few hours by train, and visitors will see it as unique to the UK. Rita provides a good experience, but its not quite a 200ft (odd) top hat!

4D coasters are exciting, and would provide a strong talking point for the park, however, would it be in the parks best interests to build one before the aging effects have been look at on the new Nagishma coaster? Aspects of the 4D will have changed considerably since X, though X hasn't given us a chance to look at how the ride develops in the long-term. I'd suggest Thorpe hang back to see how the Japs handle this new beast.

I'd be happy with a Flyer from B&M or a Hyper from Intamin, though I'd suspect the latter may be classed too similar to Stealth to be viable.
CGM

I think that X almost stopped manufacterers from trying any bold new designs which is a shame as it's set back coaster design for a few years

Back on topic, I believe that Thorpe will probably build a B&M because Nemesis Inferno has been a succes with the GP even if it's not so popular with some of us and because of their succes at AT and are only using Intamin for Stealth because of the launch.

Then again they may go in favour of Intamin who have built some very popular rides for them such as Tidal wave or Colossus. Mind you, with if I were Thorpe's management I'm not sure I would go with Intamin with it's safety record at the moment
Cjw

With Nemesis Inferno they took the rides popularity and marketed their own ride with it.
Which makes perfect sense in a marketting sense of things.
Ketchup

[quote=""CGM""]Mind you, with if I were Thorpe's management I'm not sure I would go with Intamin with it's safety record at the moment[/quote]

Intamin's safety record is of a very high standard, if you look at all their incidents in which a rider was thrown off one of their rides you will discover that hardly any of these incidents are the fault of the manafacturer, most of them are the fault of either the rider or a ride op.

Intamin coaster's are perfectly safe, if they weren't they wouldn't be allowed to operate.
evil cod

[quote=""Saz_sparkle""]
4D coasters are exciting, and would provide a strong talking point for the park, however, would it be in the parks best interests to build one before the aging effects have been look at on the new Nagishma coaster? Aspects of the 4D will have changed considerably since X, though X hasn't given us a chance to look at how the ride develops in the long-term. I'd suggest Thorpe hang back to see how the Japs handle this new beast.
[/quote]
Sorry if im being picky but the new 4D is at Fuji-Q Highland not Nagashima Spa Land :D
Anonymous

I think TP 2008 coaster will be a B&M or Intamin IMO. They are the two most popular manufacturers and TP have used them for PS and Nemesis Inferno. I don't mind which of the two. Whoever they choose, they better do a good job :P.

Just wondering, what manufacturer built Colossus?