The Smiler - Marketing

Smile always. New for 2013.
JayTricky

Adam wrote: To be fair, it's never actually been "confirmed" exactly what the Marmaliser screen will show. There's nothing to say what it currently shows is what will show once it opens...
What's cool is that it can be changed. Pretty easily I suspect. Therefore possible Halloween pictures for Scarefest, and Other events etc. They can always update and improve it over the coming years.
clayj

Derren Brown on Facebook wrote:Great day Alton Towers. Amazing staff & rides get better & better. New Smiler looks wonderful. http://t.co/GQbeuHa7X1

Good to see you can get married there too. Though it must be impractical to have to show your wedding photos as fridge-magnets.
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
DeanGaryCox

The Smiler is in the modern day, the sanctuary era is in the past; so yes the advert is expected to be modern just like the rides themeing, and I wouldn't expect it to include Dr. Kelman etc. as the general public would not get it, and the advert isn't long enough to explain it, and I would find it pretty boring to be honest.

The whole idea of alton towers is to be a magical and fun place, as that's the idea they have been giving off with illustrations/images on their website, maps and past media adverts (like beginning of N:ST and the Ice Age advert), so I feel The Smiler advert fits very well, and does a great job of advertising the smiler without any background knowledge being needed; it also uses the slogan 'you belong to the smiler' with the riders being 'marmalised', and then being told the ride has 14 loops, i'm not sure what else you could ask for in an advert which appeals to everyone. But just because the ride is a scary and thrilling one, doesn't mean they should not include younger people who are over the 1.4m height limit who can ride it... so I feel it does a great job of inviting everyone who can to ride the smiler; whereas with 13, they marketed it as a scary ride, when infact the actual ride itself, and with a lower height restriction of 1.2m meant it was a family ride, and initially probably put a lot of younger poeple off riding it, alton towers don't want to make the same mistake again so have played it safe in my opinion.

The only bit I can agree with, is that it was/is marketed as a extreme thrilling coaster, but the advert is quite light hearted, and would like to see a post watershed advert which is a bit more scary showing off the potential thrills the smiler has to offer!
Last edited by DeanGaryCox on Mon May 20, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2014
Heisenberg96

Wow...been blown away by the advert! Perfect combination of creepy but mysterious. Anyone going on Thursday, my jealousy of you is through the roof!
Instant Mix

May I ask exactly what channels are showing the advert frequently?
Kirsty25

Instant Mix wrote: May I ask exactly what channels are showing the advert frequently?
It's been seen across ITV, C4, C5, E4 and Dave
Owen

Kirsty25 wrote:
Instant Mix wrote: May I ask exactly what channels are showing the advert frequently?
It's been seen across ITV, C4, C5, E4 and Dave
Dave! Dave! Dave has been on my tv for ages and I haven't seen it once
Instant Mix

Also been watching C4 religiously since about 7 and haven't seen it.

My girlfriend says that she's seen it on Viva ( yes i've converted her into a fanatic ) - another channel as well?
Th13TEENGUY

Seen it a bout five mins ago on sky 1
LCFC til i die
RCandrew

Think I saw it on more4  :lol:
NF2

I've seen it during both How I Met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men, plus the first report of it on TST was during Frasier this morning.

Seems they're targeting US Sitcoms :)
Benji

Hmmm..Derren Brown was at Alton Towers today....interesting

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
Instant Mix

NF2 wrote: I've seen it during both How I Met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men, plus the first report of it on TST was during Frasier this morning.

Seems they're targeting US Sitcoms :)
Just saw it during Kitchen Nightmares USA - yep, they really must like the US
Danny

One thing I hate on the advert is the deep voice is oso out of time with the guy. It really bugs me when they do this in films as well. When he first says he line his lips don't even move!
TheOutpatient

Benji wrote: Hmmm..Derren Brown was at Alton Towers today....interesting
Lol really?
Well it is supposed to mess with your mind - seems like it would right up his ally!

It makes me wonder actually, what kind of effects he would invent, if asked to.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
DONT LOOK DOWN

Alton Towers tweeted that only selected regions shown the advert.
Being number two is just being the first to lose.
Themeparksandy1981

It was on during the first ad break of Corrie. I really enjoyed it. I nearly missed it as we have Sky+ so we fast forward the ads it's only cause I noticed something Yellow I rewind it back. I'm sure 99% of people who record on sky+ skip the ads as well.
I really think the ad shows the coaster in it's true form and if that doesn't get the Normal GP to go to Alton Towers this season then nothing will.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I was pleasantly surprised when I had the TV on in the background, switched to Dave, when it came on at about midday!
jimm123

seen this advert about 6times in the last 2hours on various channels, good advert, made me all excited. Me and the missus are both all like *lets go lets go lets go* :-)))
DaveBear

I have to say apart from a few problems like the voice over and cartoon look its ok, but not great....

I did really like Thirteens Adverts a lot of effort and money went into them, its  shame that the Smiler one did not, but we may get more and we do have the Viral Marketing...

I guess they maybe wanted to avoid over hype caused by Adverts because 13's was very well done, but it did lead many to expect a far more scary experience, when essentially it was a Family Thrill ride, with the Drop to add a big Thrill Factor for those who would normally not ride high intense rides.

Still like 13, and i loved its Adverts...