A Movie Themed Ride

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
clayj

coastercrazy18 wrote:
cookiee_munster wrote: id love for Aardman to team up with the park and create something totally unique for the whole of cloud cuckoo land. creating some new characters just for that area, including stories for attractions. but they could also have little bits of theming spread around the area as a little nod to all their other great work! :)
OMG can yo emagine a ride based on wallice and gromet where you are tacken around a track and you are in a carrige which is shapped like the robbot trousers that they have on there movie called the wrong trousers hahaa:-D.
Imagine no longer....

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/all-other-parks-and-attractions/blackpool-pleasure-beach-2013-wallace-gromit-dark-ride/

.... although to be honest, without bring this topic into a slagging BPB's ride.. I'm not a fan so can imagine a far better ride made at AT but it will never happen as will be viewed as copying another park. Same goes for a an Angry bird playpark or ride - AT could do wonders with this theme but will never happen after LWV recieved an Angry Bird license :(
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
coastercrazy18

Omg i need to ride that lol im sad but owell
clayj wrote:
coastercrazy18 wrote:
cookiee_munster wrote: id love for Aardman to team up with the park and create something totally unique for the whole of cloud cuckoo land. creating some new characters just for that area, including stories for attractions. but they could also have little bits of theming spread around the area as a little nod to all their other great work! :)
OMG can yo emagine a ride based on wallice and gromet where you are tacken around a track and you are in a carrige which is shapped like the robbot trousers that they have on there movie called the wrong trousers hahaa:-D.
Imagine no longer....

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/all-other-parks-and-attractions/blackpool-pleasure-beach-2013-wallace-gromit-dark-ride/

.... although to be honest, without bring this topic into a slagging BPB's ride.. I'm not a fan so can imagine a far better ride made at AT but it will never happen as will be viewed as copying another park. Same goes for a an Angry bird playpark or ride - AT could do wonders with this theme but will never happen after LWV recieved an Angry Bird license :(
its always good to go to the dentist so you can get a better smile :D
coastercrazy18

I thing the ben ten ultimat mission in drayton manor has done well.
Pennywise

- A movie themed ride would require an IP.
- IPs cost a lot of money.
- This money would be taken from the budget for the ride itself.
- An inferior ride would be created as less money would be spent on theming and ride hardware.
- Saw and Charlie are excellent examples of rides which could have been a lot better.

Leave IP-based rides to places like Disney and Universal, who don't have to pay for the rights to build rides based upon franchises. Alton Towers will build better rides if they come up with their own themes and ideas.
SmilingMonkey

MJNemesis wrote:I don't generally like movie themed rides.

If though, they created something like Test Track at Disney, which is based around a movie, then I'd be well up for it.
YES!
D4n wrote: Leave IP-based rides to places like Disney and Universal, who don't have to pay for the rights to build rides based upon franchises. Alton Towers will build better rides if they come up with their own themes and ideas.
Valid point, I don't think rides need to have the movie element to make them exciting, take The Smiler for example - how many pages and pages of topics and discussions has that ride created, the speculation has been ongoing for months before we even knew the name. It's not important to me to have a movie themed ride. It is, however, important to have a theme for the ride. Nemesis is a great example of good theming :)
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure
coastercrazy18

D4n wrote: - A movie themed ride would require an IP.
- IPs cost a lot of money.
- This money would be taken from the budget for the ride itself.
- An inferior ride would be created as less money would be spent on theming and ride hardware.
- Saw and Charlie are excellent examples of rides which could have been a lot better.

Leave IP-based rides to places like Disney and Universal, who don't have to pay for the rights to build rides based upon franchises. Alton Towers will build better rides if they come up with their own themes and ideas.
Saw and charley are actualy really well made.
bensaund

Charlie is just one big disapointment, the only good thing about it is the great glass elevator.
If you go down to the woods today
SmilingMonkey

Surely the copyright deal with the Dahl estate comes to at end at some point which would either mean they'll need to re-new (at cost) or re-theme. I think it worked well when it was first brought in, unfortunately since then the synching has slipped a lot and so has the energy from ride operators who instead of 'working at a chocolate factory' now look as though they're bored and disinterested. Not something you'd get at Universal/Disney.
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure
kierannewcombe

Sometimes movie themed rides work extremely well whereas in other cases they are a complete fail! I don't  think Alton need to get a movie themed ride at this moment of time

Credit to Lewis97
coastercrazy18

Ye i agree with you that the elovator is proberly only the best thing about it. But i think the design of the sceanery inside is prettey good dont you think. If the ride was to be removed what do you think should replace it?
Pennywise

coastercrazy18 wrote: But i think the design of the sceanery inside is prettey good dont you think.
No.

Ride a proper dark ride (try Disney, Europa Park or the nearby Hex for examples) and you'll soon notice just how sparse and half-arsed the boat ride segment of Charlie is. Literally a few static models in a warehouse. Granted, the elevator is an improvement, but consider that this ride cost double what Sub Terra did (before you even take inflation into account, plus considering that the building at boat ride were already there for Charlie) and tell me that money wasn't wasted on the IP. A significant portion of the budget.

You also mentioned the Saw IP, which adds absolutely nothing to the quality of the experience because the storyline is so loose and Jigsaw / Billy the Puppet so rarely feature. Had Thorpe chosen to develop a backstory for the ride, and a pre-show, then perhaps the franchise could have improved the experience. Instead, money was spent on a theme which doesn't add anything to the experience, and was possibly the cause of the lack of theming once the ride exits the warehouse, since that money could've been spent on improving the ride itself.

However, I do believe that the Saw franchise was successful to attracting visitors (compare Saw's popularity to Swarm's upon opening) whereas I think Charlie was so bad that this wasn't the case. Therefore Saw is a slightly better example of an IP-based ride, though neither are good examples.
cookiee_munster

coastercrazy18 wrote:
as someone's already mentioned, a wallace and gromit ride already exists, hence the emphasis more on Nick and the team at Aardman creating a new bunch of characters/storylines to inhabit a new area :)
coastercrazy18

I have been on saw before and i thought the story line was goid because  it kept me nervous of what was about to happen and it dosnt really matter if the models dont move. Most boet rides around the are like that. I wouldnt really change charlie into a dark as it was perpously built for children and thats why i think it was successful for the younger people