Why is the whole of X-Sector closed?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Islander

Can't say I'm particularly surprised, given how good TTF is at ignoring fellow members who are suffering from depression, even if they themselves have experienced it. Massive shame.

That aside, has it been confirmed that it was definitely attempted suicide? There seems to be a fair amount of variation between different reports - for example, there are some claiming it was the entry hole, and some claiming the exit - so, I wonder how much anything can be believed (in terms of finer details alone, of course).
Magrathea

Actually shocked that anyone even thought to criticse the staff in this incidence either! Why on EARTH would all security staff have a key to the Oblivion exit tunnel, on the off-chance that someone decided to jump the fence, WADE through the pond, and then jump another fence into the hole?!

Should they all have to carry keys for the padlock of the area under Nemmy's single rider too, in case anyone squeezes themselves between the steps to get in there?! :?
Islander

Magrathea wrote: Actually shocked that anyone even thought to criticse the staff in this incidence either! Why on EARTH would all security staff have a key to the Oblivion exit tunnel, on the off-chance that someone decided to jump the fence, WADE through the pond, and then jump another fence into the hole?!

Should they all have to carry keys for the padlock of the area under Nemmy's single rider too, in case anyone squeezes themselves between the steps to get in there?! :?
Think the point is far more that they should have access to these keys, and, given the nature of the incident, it would be logical to be attending such incidents with the keys in hand.

Having said that, it is of course possible that they were responding from elsewhere entirely, and so didn't pick up the keys (though then really someone should have been dispatched with the keys to meet them). I don't really think anyone's implying that they should be carrying all keys at all times...
Tom G

Well given that he has been arrested, I doubt the police would have done that if he was suffering from mental problems.

Edit: Tongue-in-cheek line asking people to resume slating the man removed.
Last edited by Tom G on Wed May 09, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benzin

Arrested and taken to a hospital ward...

Yeah, if there wasn't something wrong with him, he would have been taken to a jail cell...
Satch

Arrests don't just occur because someone is guilt, it can occur for that persons safety, which seems to be the case here
formula1fan

If he's been arrested and put into a hospital ward, then it's likely that he's there for his own protection, or that he's been sectioned under the Mental Health Act. Or, possibly, both.
stretchy

I initially read this and thought we had another numpty trying to get back their baseball cap that flew off.

But no. Poor chap. I genuinely hope he gets some decent help rather than just being arrested. Life has to be pretty bad for you to want to end it all. I am also guessing he is probably a member of this here forum. Reasoning :- When your depressed you tend to go to a place you love in the hope that they will detract you from your current low. If you love Towers then you probably are a member of one of the Towers Forums, TTF is the biggest.

Anyway if the person does read this and needs someone to talk to, feel free to pm me.
[url=http://"http://www.stretchedmindz.com"]Image[/url]

[url=http://"http://www.secretsantaelf.co.uk"]Image[/url]
tworandom

I honestly don't think this was anything to do with suicide, I was there shortly after he got in to the tunnel, and Followed his friends out of the queue line, and they didn't seem that alarmed that he was there. it seemed like he tried to get a closer picture or something and the realised the amount of trouble he was going to get in to.
James

Can I just reiterate to everyone that the specifics of this incident are unknown.

A lot of people have jumped to the conclusion that it was an attempted suicide. This may not be the case. There could be a number of other reasons as to why this man passed the restricted areas. 
garyh

Absolutely, he may have been attempting to set off some new form of exploding underwear in tunnel.
Islander

tworandom wrote: I honestly don't think this was anything to do with suicide, I was there shortly after he got in to the tunnel, and Followed his friends out of the queue line, and they didn't seem that alarmed that he was there. it seemed like he tried to get a closer picture or something and the realised the amount of trouble he was going to get in to.
A closer picture?? :shock:

As James said, we don't know the specifics of the incident (as I pointed out earlier as well), but if that's at all true, then wow.
Tom G

He's been arrested for causing a public nauisance and was with a group of people at the time. At least my speculation is actually based on evidence, some of the claims of suicide etc here are completely unfounded.
Dormiens-Dave

Tom making claims either way on this forum that are unsubstatiated doesn't really help and if this guy was just an idiot who "lost his wallet" then thats fine and he deserves to be arrested but some of the comments aimed at the potential for suicide were disgusting whether this was a suicide bid or not which is where my comment was aimed. Doesn't matter whether this situation was or wasn't due to mental health issues some of the comments have been aimed that way and its wrong.

If members have evidence post it, if not please keep accusations to a minimum.
Last edited by Dormiens-Dave on Wed May 09, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom G

The problem was people making unjustifiably offensive OR sympathetic statements. No one actually knows which are deserved at this stage, but I was suggesting that perhaps the former were more likely to be warranted now that we know he was arrested for causing a public nuisance.
Dormiens-Dave

I agree the longer this goes on the more it sounds like it was a silly stunt of some form. But i don;t think that justifies the comments made by some on mental health. Anyway this is floating way off topic :D
Tom G

Agreed.

I think it is worth considering for a moment the implications of him being struck by a train and killed. It would have had a devestating effect on his family, staff, guests and become an international story within hours. Everyone should be thankful nothing worse happened.
Last edited by Tom G on Wed May 09, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Islander

Nah - if it's not related to mental health at all, they wouldn't do that, as the man would just be an out-and-out idiot, rather than necessarily mentally unstable. He'd just get a hopefully very stern talking to, and hopefully a Towers/Merlin ban or similar.
MattsDesigns

Was he trying to enter the actual oblivion via Oblivion? Heh. Not really a joke, just trying to grasp at that kind of thinking.

If it wasn't a suicide attempt then he would have been showing off.

I've thought about suicide at a themepark and wondered if that would just tarnish the park.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
garyh

Jeez lighten up people stop taking everything so seriously, more serious things going on in the world to worry about!