The Future of The Flume

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
JammyBand

What I want is to have the current flume demolished and a brand spanking new one put in its place, but I want it to be part of the Katanga canyon and I want it to share the same theme as the RMT and the Congo River Rapids. Something along the lines of mountainous, with an indoor section inside a cave and possibly a section in reverse. It would be great! Although I think they should leave enough space for a new major ride to be put there.
Last edited by JammyBand on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Altontowersbarlow

I was thinking about what John wardley said about him liking rides that take you on a journey. I feel that the current Flume although a nice ride does not do this. I (like others) would like to see The flume re-themed to fit mutiny bay but I would like it to take you through a story so you feel immersed in the experience. The idea I had was a creature has been causing mayhem in Mutiny bay. To allow the ride to take you through a story I would propose adding theming along the flume such as sunken boats and masts that squirt water to represent the creature, along with rock facades to make the flume feel like a bay type area. Each theming element would represent the creatures path through mutiny bay, sinking ships, knocking over barrels etc. The building that holds the main drop and duck theming would be themed as a boathouse and before the second to last drop strobes would start and a giant squid type creature would appear. The indoor section could also have tentacles coming through the walls and dripping water. The area by the station that the drop leads to would have a large ship, floating barrels and driftwood. This is just an idea :) 
Last edited by Altontowersbarlow on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

I'd love a Krake type drop on a new log flume. It could be pirate themed and it's final drop could be into a krakens mouth
DrReeve

DannyG wrote: I'd love a Krake type drop on a new log flume. It could be pirate themed and it's final drop could be into a krakens mouth
water coaster!
Image credit to Lewis97
LCFCjames

I think if the flume is to go, it's going to have to be replaced by an even better log flume or a water coaster. I don't think they'd replace it with anything else, as lets be honest every theme park has to have a log flume  :P. I'd love to see a really well themed water coaster to fit in with mutiny bay. With a pirate theme already in place, it should be pretty easy to create a really top notch water coaster with a good theme. It would also be something unique in the UK and would work really well if merlin maintained it and kept the water clean!  8)
Altontowersbarlow

Altontowersbarlow wrote: I was thinking about what John wardley said about him liking rides that take you on a journey. I feel that the current Flume although a nice ride does not do this. I (like others) would like to see The flume re-themed to fit mutiny bay but I would like it to take you through a story so you feel immersed in the experience. The idea I had was a creature has been causing mayhem in Mutiny bay. To allow the ride to take you through a story I would propose adding theming along the flume such as sunken boats and masts that squirt water to represent the creature, along with rock facades to make the flume feel like a bay type area. Each theming element would represent the creatures path through mutiny bay, sinking ships, knocking over barrels etc. The building that holds the main drop and duck theming would be themed as a boathouse and before the second to last drop strobes would start and a giant squid type creature would appear. The indoor section could also have tentacles coming through the walls and dripping water. The area by the station that the drop leads to would have a large ship, floating barrels and driftwood. This is just an idea :)
I have been thinking about my above idea and I thought I would create a story around the ride idea.
The ride story
Captain Black and Captain England(Merry England ;)) were in a vicious battle for ownership of Mutiny Bay. Many years of battling commenced along with the destruction of Black's fine galleons.Black fled into the deep and vast oceans of Mutiny Cove. Captain England believed he had claimed the fine sea's of Mutiny bay however Black was returning with a secret weapon that struck fear into the hearts of  Captain England's men. Black returned with an horrific creature that was trained to stalk the oceans and kill any of Captain England's men. This plan seemed to be working until the giant creature (tired of it's endless commands from black) went on a rampage through Mutiny cove destroying it's once glorious battle ships. Now the creature will let nobody leave Mutiny Bay and lurks in the dark waters of the cove waiting for fresh sailors to devour. Can you find the creature in your majestic galleon allowing the citizens of Mutiny Bay to be free or will you perish like sailors before you.

This was the story I thought suited my previous flume re-theme idea. Regarding my previous idea I would also like the addition of projected images in the inside section to create the effect of the squid attacking along with the other indoor elements explained in my previous post :)
lf2001

As much as I love the Flume, I'm thinking that SW8 should be made for families for once. The flume would be replaced by a water coaster, themed around the pirates of mutiny bay at battle or something.
Altontowersbarlow

lf2001 wrote: As much as I love the Flume, I'm thinking that SW8 should be made for families for once. The flume would be replaced by a water coaster, themed around the pirates of mutiny bay at battle or something.
I agree that's why a new Family flume would work :)
bensaund

We could be in for a real shock if they decide to change the existing flume for a newer model of the current one. It is possible we could have no flume at all.

Now if they go for removing the flume altogether, then putting in a ride like the Vampire for families in the woods would be ideal.

They could be a junior flume on the site of Spinball/Adventureland?
If you go down to the woods today
DrReeve

bensaund wrote: We could be in for a real shock if they decide to change the existing flume for a newer model of the current one. It is possible we could have no flume at all.

Now if they go for removing the flume altogether, then putting in a ride like the Vampire for families in the woods would be ideal.

I'm not wanting any large SW project to replace The Flume but a family ride like Vampire? sign me up!
Last edited by DrReeve on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image credit to Lewis97
JammyBand

Of course, the only problem is that the manufacturer who made Vampire (Arrow Dynamics) has since gone defunct so it would not be possible to have a ride of the same type (which is a shame as I love the Arrow suspended coaster!), but obviously, it could easily be a different coaster type. Suspended coasters do work well though in wooded areas.
Burniel

I think he was referring to a family coaster, not necessarily the same as Vampire.

There is definitely a slot for one, after all Spinball is likely to be going soon.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
BenBowser

Launched B&M Wingrider slotting through the trees, diving in and out of tunnels. That's my ideal Flume site replacement. Either that or a 4D dark ride on the lake.
Themeparksandy1981

After looking at this Birds eye pic of the flume site http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/ma ... bove32.jpg I think it's gonna be hard to build much without moving any trees. Was there many trees removed in the 13 area include both the ride and queue line? This pic shows the flume layout better http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/ma ... l/80s3.jpg
Rollermad

DrReeve wrote:
bensaund wrote: We could be in for a real shock if they decide to change the existing flume for a newer model of the current one. It is possible we could have no flume at all.

I'm not wanting any large SW project to replace The Flume but a family ride like Vampire? sign me up!
JammyBand wrote:Of course, the only problem is that the manufacturer who made Vampire (Arrow Dynamics) has since gone defunct so it would not be possible to have a ride of the same type (which is a shame as I love the Arrow suspended coaster!), but obviously, it could easily be a different coaster type. Suspended coasters do work well though in wooded areas.
Vampires trains are by Vekoma as the old ones were replaced in 2001 or 2002. You could get a Vekoma family coaster which would be nice. Personally Vampire is a very very good ride, maybe with a kind of dive coaster water drop at the end with a pit like Vampire!
Dom

If AT replace The Flume with anything other than a water ride, i shall actually be quite annoyed. Mutiny Bay is themed around pirates and you normally associate pirates with pirate ships on the ocean. So a water ride would be the perfect replacement for The Flume. A more advanced flume ride would be really good.
Danny

If they kept the water wouldn't it be quite cool to how our own disappearing coaster, like that one in China or Japan where it dives in to the water. Then it could still be water orientated.
abigsmurf

If they wanted a family inverted, there's a great looking powered inverted (with rotating cars) dark ride/coaster hybrid being built at Europa park with an Arthur and the Minimoys theme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_%E2%80%93_The_Ride

Would be a great family attraction and it wouldn't need to go above the treeline as it's powered.
Burniel

I really want the Flume to be replaced with something similar to Journey To Atlantis.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Luviico

I would love to see a water coaster! Would be a UK first therefore maintaining AT as the best UK park. An underwater section and a decent drop with a splash would do! Would be something different that people who don't venture out of the country wouldn't of seen before and these kind of rides aren't exactly seen in abundance anyway. Would create a lot of interest!