The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.
jb19852

NINJAwarrior360 wrote:
jb19852 wrote: ^they are well old......someones vision of Boz's washing machine effect from what i remember.

THERE IS NO WASHING MACHINE!
How the hell do you know that, alton towers have realised no information about the secret element, the washing machine effect makes more sense than the splitting trains idea!
If you were to spend the time trawling through the thousands of pictures and posts on here and TST you would have realized that these have already been posted moons ago. If i have to i will find the posts.

Where the non-existent washing machine was meant to go is now just straight track, its clear this isnt going to happen. Stop going on about it.

Hell, its was Boz's idea in the first place. Boz help me out here!

No disrespect, but this has been discussed to death and accepted as not happening.

EDIT:-

Point proven:-

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7-91/ride-speculation-and-discussion-(spoiler-alerts)/msg685593/#msg685593

Move on nothing to see.
Last edited by jb19852 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shangalaing

Hello everyone, long time no posts. Just wondering about the chain lifts. I believe that this is the first eurofighters style coaster with a none vertical lift hill, but I may be wrong. Do people think that there will be the dog on the chain (I hope that is the right terminology) like normal eurofighters on both hills or will they go for a more standard lift hill? Also does having tho arrangement have any affect on the duelling aspect?
Kiss my oblivion
Boz

jb19852 wrote:
NINJAwarrior360 wrote:
jb19852 wrote: ^they are well old......someones vision of Boz's washing machine effect from what i remember.

THERE IS NO WASHING MACHINE!
How the hell do you know that, alton towers have realised no information about the secret element, the washing machine effect makes more sense than the splitting trains idea!
If you were to spend the time trawling through the thousands of pictures and posts on here and TST you would have realized that these have already been posted moons ago. If i have to i will find the posts.

Where the non-existent washing machine was meant to go is now just straight track, its clear this isnt going to happen. Stop going on about it.

Hell, its was Boz's idea in the first place. Boz help me out here!

No disrespect, but this has been discussed to death and accepted as not happening.

EDIT:-

Point proven:-

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7-91/ride-speculation-and-discussion-(spoiler-alerts)/msg685593/#msg685593

Move on nothing to see.
Taken from the "Facts and Rumours" topic
Rotating Track
It is believed by many (including us at TowersTimes in 2012) that the secret part of the ride would be a section of track which revolves and inverts the train. The lack of official inversion stats released does imply the ride would have something special in this area.(please be aware this was suggested as a possible explanation as to how the ride would break the inversion record, the plans have since changed to allow more inversions, making this theory redundant)
No the trick track is not happening, the place I speculated it would go, is now purely straight, bog standard, brake run track, leading onto the lift hill.

As above the theory was developed as a possible explanation as to how AT were going to break the inversion record, when the plans didn't show the required number of inversions to do it. TT was correct about the Smiler being built to break the inversion record, but was never certain how it was going to be done.
JustTotallyEpic

The Terminator wrote:
AniaPotter wrote: Quite a bit of people have said that the earliest it will open is May 25th and if that is the case, I will actually cry! Im going with my school May 24th and I live up in Scotland so its not like I can go anytime I want  :( Anybody think its possible to open earlier than that, what with the speed of construction?
It's always possible but unlikely, May 31st is really pushing it in my opinion but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
I doubt that it will open on May 31st, that would just be ridiculous and they would most likely be reviving lots of complaints from customers as they have been doing a lot of lighter advertising confirming a May opening date and opening it on the last day of May well that would just crack me  up :D but if construction keeps on stopping I guess you could be right. 
Last edited by JustTotallyEpic on Fri May 31, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Terminator

JustTotallyEpic wrote:
The Terminator wrote:
AniaPotter wrote: Quite a bit of people have said that the earliest it will open is May 25th and if that is the case, I will actually cry! Im going with my school May 24th and I live up in Scotland so its not like I can go anytime I want  :( Anybody think its possible to open earlier than that, what with the speed of construction?
It's always possible but unlikely, May 31st is really pushing it in my opinion but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
I doubt that it will open on May 31st, that would just be ridiculous and they would most likely be reviving lots of complaints from customers as they have been doing a lot of lighter advertising confirming a May opening date and opening it on the last day of May well that would just crack me  up :D but if construction keeps on stopping I guess you could be right.
The thing is this though and I've said it before but it keeps getting forgotten.
When the track is finished it will not open the next day like a lot of people seem to believe, that will just be the start
It will require at least another 4 weeks for finishing off connections and testing, yes testing not a two minute job.
If I remember correctly and it's been a few years then it will require to run for 200 hours fault free to gain a certificate to operate with passengers.
It can't run 24/7 so that will take at least two weeks and that's if there's no problems with the pull through!

Like I said 31st May is pushing it, I still wouldn't be surprised if it was June.
I WILL be back
SwEDEN

Anyone on park tomorrow?
bryanycroft

What would you say the chances are of it being open by june 7th?
Ar128

There may be some work being done inside
Smile!!
RollercoasterGEEK100

Even the swarm opended on time. The park must be losing money for The Smiler opening late?

Credit to NemesisRider
PhNx Survivor

I do now believe we will possibly see a pre-show before the lift, and maybe the world first element could be a 4D experience that approaches you like 3D if you like but is actually there rather than a mind illusion?

I personally am very excited for the Secret Element to be revealed, not knowing what it could be is a much better way of doing it than how Th13teen was kept a secret, not very long...

I would just like to add a quick note to the 4D idea as well, when you see the train with the green screen, there appears to be something to the right, could this be changed so it's something that comes towards the train in the advert, which would also be on the ride?? Hope So.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Benjsh

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote: Even the swarm opended on time. The park must be losing money for The Smiler opening late?
Probably not losing that much. Everyone who is planning on visiting the park to ride The Smiler will still go at some point when it does open this year. I'm one of them. It just means that the park is going to be a lot busier when it does open.

Had it opened in March when the Park did, the visitor numbers would have been spread out a little more. The queues for this ride are going to be a nightmare this summer.
TheSmiler1998

PhNx Survivor wrote: I do now believe we will possibly see a pre-show before the lift, and maybe the world first element could be a 4D experience that approaches you like 3D if you like but is actually there rather than a mind illusion?

I personally am very excited for the Secret Element to be revealed, not knowing what it could be is a much better way of doing it than how Th13teen was kept a secret, not very long...

I would just like to add a quick note to the 4D idea as well, when you see the train with the green screen, there appears to be something to the right, could this be changed so it's something that comes towards the train in the advert, which would also be on the ride?? Hope So.
if we do see one (which personally i hope we dont) it better be much better than saw alive- that was mediocre at best  :D
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
Vanessa Feltz

Due to the overwhelming amount of posts discussion will be continued in a second thread.

This is to keep the thread tidy and discussion on track. You can find the 2nd part here
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
SmilingMonkey

Two things:

1) There is an admin called Vanessa Feltz - this highly amused me
2) Can anyone tell me whether its standard to leave lift hills to last or whether AT may be holding something back by not including them yet? I'm not speculating as to a world first, just curious if this is a common construction technique?
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure
Vanessa Feltz

This thread is continued from the original Smiler Construction topic.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
ilyAlton

bryanycroft wrote: What would you say the chances are of it being open by june 7th?

I think it will be open by then. At least I hope so, i'm visiting on the 15th June to be safe.
Last edited by ilyAlton on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rollercoasters4Life

SmilingMonkey wrote: 2) Can anyone tell me whether its standard to leave lift hills to last or whether AT may be holding something back by not including them yet? I'm not speculating as to a world first, just curious if this is a common construction technique?
On most rollercoasters the lift hill is one of the first things to go up after the station, although there is times when that isn't the case. The reason in this instance I personally believe is they are doing the lifts/drops last because of access on the site. I believe they will use the access road to the top of the site and from that area (next to the toilet block) will put the crane and lift the first drop, vertical lift, final bend, second drop then first lift hill in that exact order.

It could also be because there is something 'special' about the lifts although I don't believe this to be the case - we will soon find out within the next few days/within a week.
vinyljunkie

could it be that we get a twisty lift hill?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

vinyljunkie wrote: could it be that we get a twisty lift hill?
I don't see any space for a spiral lift hill, and trenches have been dug out for both lift hills, so surely that confirms that they will both be straight, with one vertical.
scruffy_

Been no updated pictures for a while anyone planning on getting any?