Cloud Cuckoo Land Skyride Station Fire

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""Jon""]No you can see what he means, the sign may look better and the building a lot fresher, but theres those little things on the roof in green that gave it a little more character. Though the new building looks better, it's a shame to have lost these. I quite agree with him.[/quote]

They did make it look nicer, but they were only included in the design in the first place because they were considered fashionable back then...they wouldn't now.

Most of Alton Towers infrastructure is from that period anyway, Monorail and Skyride stations, Towers Street, toilet blocks etc. It's just classic 80's architecture. Good job it fits with the 'quirky and magical' theme we all love and are used to - and the style now defines Alton Towers. :)

But yeah if the skyride had been built in the 60s and it burnt down in the 80s I doubt they'd rebuild it the way it looked in the 60s would they - they don't rebuild buildings to look 20 years out of date?

:)
jomo1993

[quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""][quote=""Jon""]No you can see what he means, the sign may look better and the building a lot fresher, but theres those little things on the roof in green that gave it a little more character. Though the new building looks better, it's a shame to have lost these. I quite agree with him.[/quote]

They did make it look nicer, but they were only included in the design in the first place because they were considered fashionable back then...they wouldn't now.

Most of Alton Towers infrastructure is from that period anyway, Monorail and Skyride stations, Towers Street, toilet blocks etc. It's just classic 80's architecture. Good job it fits with the 'quirky and magical' theme we all love and are used to - and the style now defines Alton Towers. :)

But yeah if the skyride had been built in the 60s and it burnt down in the 80s I doubt they'd rebuild it the way it looked in the 60s would they - they don't rebuild buildings to look 20 years out of date?

:)[/quote]

Sorry, little off topic - were the toilet blocks built in the 80's cos they dont look very old and/or outdated
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""jomo1993""][quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""][quote=""Jon""]No you can see what he means, the sign may look better and the building a lot fresher, but theres those little things on the roof in green that gave it a little more character. Though the new building looks better, it's a shame to have lost these. I quite agree with him.[/quote]

:)[/quote]

Sorry, little off topic - were the toilet blocks built in the 80's cos they dont look very old and/or outdated[/quote]

I think so - I just remember AstroDan saying once whilst complaining about the state of the toilets that they "remain their same old scummy late 80s way".
AstroDan

Indeed. A lot of Alton's toilets haven't had any real renovation for more than a decade. They have added sound effects to some, and some vinyl door coverings but no real proper refurbs. The loo's in Forbidden Valley, Duel, X Sector, Fountain Square and Towers Street for me are pretty poor.

How off topic was that!

Bring on the Skyride!
jomo1993

[quote=""AstroDan""]Indeed. A lot of Alton's toilets haven't had any real renovation for more than a decade. They have added sound effects to some, and some vinyl door coverings but no real proper refurbs. The loo's in Forbidden Valley, Duel, X Sector, Fountain Square and Towers Street for me are pretty poor.

How off topic was that!

Bring on the Skyride![/quote]

The skyride cabins should have mini toilets for use in the event of a breakdown.

Just a thought.

I have to disagree if im honest, i think all of the toilets in the park are really not to bad, theyre always spolessly clean, which in my opinion is the most important thing. The fv skyride station toilets are never very nice though, and the towers street ones need a bit of an update in my opinion, the same goes for the mutiny bay ones, but overall i think the Alton towers toilets are in general - very good.

Even more off topic, but didnt think it was worthy of bumping the toilet topic - but hey ho! :D

---- Post Info Added ----

Also people - We were walking from the hotels to get the bus at the entrance and we saw one cabin on the cable above mutiny bay, so they must be testing it now
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
AstroDan

I am so pleased about this. It will be amazing to have the Skyride back again. I wonder how long it will last... Hopefully 10 years or more without a major problem. And, while Poma have been in, hopefully they've had a go at rectifying some of the reliability issues with the system.

I also hope they have a new example of the cable for the new station?!
chr1s

Any word on when the sky ride is re-opening?
Pepsi is better than Coke!!
Dormiens-Dave

Don't think there has been an official word but from the look of the building on half term week, it could very well be operating on opening
mezza

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]Don't think there has been an official word but from the look of the building on half term week, it could very well be operating on opening[/quote]

I'm sure they'll have been working their absolute hardest to get it running for opening day. It's going to be really important to be able to move crowds to and from Dark Forest as quickly as possible so there isn't a bottleneck in that area.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
jomo1993

Hello, now people have had a chance to go on the skyride and in the new station, what do ya all think about it, and aslo, does anyone have any pictures of the interior? :D
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
Nightfall

Yes, it looks very slick and clean. I have two pictures.

Although it’s hard to see but the cable that once hung on the wall has been replaced with a new map. It is like the park map but only with the stations on it. I couldn’t get a picture before boarding.

And a shot through the window: It looks very clean and glossy but the sun light was very strong so the picture came out poor.

Also the rides reliability was seriously low with several “shunts” occurring at a station (I don’t know which one). It meant the ride kept stalling.
[align=center]Image[/align]
jomo1993

WOW thank you very much MRNightfall *rep point added but can i just ask what you mean by "shunts".

Im assuming you mean cabins crashing into eachother? :?
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
Nightfall

"Shunts" was the word I got from the ride attendant when he finally managed to prise the door open on my cart in forbidden valley. So I’m guessing the same as you.

I have a feeling it was caused by the main station and not the new CCL one.
[align=center]Image[/align]
mezza

Yep, station looks awesome, and - dare I say it - magical! Love the gold pipes, etc.

'shunts' does sound a little worrying though - hopefully it's just teething difficulties..
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Mi-Nigle

The new station looks so bright and fresh! Much much better than the old one. There are plenty of large windows to let light in which really brings out all the colours in there. Its really goes well with the current rainbow of gondolas.

I noticed that there is brand new cable running from CCL to FV. How do they transport a bespoke cable of that length to the park? Can't be easy, it's huge!

Just a passing thought as I was going over the gardens, I'd just been on Thi3teen, and now I'm dangling a couple hundred feet above the ground, should I really be pushing my luck? :lol:
NickT04

The new station looks awesome. We did get one hell of a whack from entering the FV station from CCL as the Skyride started going side to side as it got onto the rollers! And no we were not shaking it!

Also, vending machines are back outside the CCL station, do they not learn!? :P
jomo1993

Im very impressed with the new station, it really is looking fabulous, and really works with the new cabins.

I really hope alton towers keep it nice and clean and in good condidtion though, unlike the cabins, which have either not been cleaned since before the fire, or have got very dirty since 20th.

BUT - like i said, it really is looking fabulous :D
MIND THE DOORS PLEASE

MIND THE DOORS
venny911

Cople more pics for you guys. Got to say this was by far the best surprise of the day, I was not expecting much, but this design looks excellent. A good mix between whimsy, magic and classical touches.

Sorry for the poor quality on this one.

And the entrance.
Blaze

Great little building. Bright, airy and colourful. Good effort when they could have made a boring building. Instead they made a very nice one.
Altonator

Does it open at 10:00am like the good old days or is it 11:00am?
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek